Aug 31, 2013
BYU at Virginia
Aug. 31, 2013
Virginia and BYU Postgame Game Notes
Virginia Team Notes
• The game was delayed 2:09 due to severe weather (4:11p.m. - 6:20 p.m.).
• The temperature at game time was 89 degrees and 71 degrees when the game resumed at 6:20 p.m.
• First-Time Starters: Offense: David Watford (QB), Ross Burbank (C), Billy Skrobacz (FB) Defense: David Dean (DT), Demeitre Brim (SLB)
• 10 UVa players made their collegiate debuts: ** - denotes true freshman: Kyle Dockins, Ryan Doull, Matt Johns, Jackson Matteo, Andre Miles-Redmond, Taquan Mizzell**, Michael Mooney, Kelvin Rainey, Divante Walker, Connor Wingo-Reeves**
• Virginia is now 80-35-9 all-time in season-opening games, including a 74-19-7 home-season opening mark in Charlottesville.|
• Virginia has won 17 of its last 20 openers in Scott Stadium.
• Mike London is now 6-0 in season-opening games as a head coach, including a 4-0 mark at UVa.
• London is the first UVa head coach to win the season-opening game in each of his first four seasons.
• UVa is now 3-1 all-time against BYU and 1-1 vs. the Cougars in Charlottesville.
• BYU was Virginia’s first game against an independent team since hosting Navy on Sept. 10, 1994.
Virginia Player Notes
• David Watford started his first career game at quarterback.
• Watford established career bests in completions (18), attempts (32), yards (114), and matched his career high with one touchdown pass.
• Kevin Parks led UVa with 65 rushing yards on 20 attempts with one touchdown.
• Taquan Mizzell began his collegiate career with a 25-yard return on the opening kickoff.
• Dominique Terrell has caught a pass in 15 consecutive games, currently the longest active streak on the team.
• Terrell added a career-long 35-yard punt return, marking UVa’s longest punt return since Vic Hall’s 45-yarder vs. Pittsburgh on Sept. 29, 2007.
• Darius Jennings has caught a pass in 14 consecutive games.
• Jennings’ 11-yard touchdown reception marked his seventh career touchdown.
• Jennings matched a career-high with seven receptions (Miami, 2012).
• Anthony Harris’ first career punt block was Virginia’s first since Trey Womack and Terence Fells-Danzer each blocked a punt at Miami (2009).
• Harris also had his first career quarterback sack and second career interception.
• Vincent Croce recorded his first fumble recovery on Harris’ punt block.
• Eli Harold set career highs in tackles (11), tackles for loss (3.5) and sacks (2.0).
• Maurice Canady led Virginia with a career-best 13 tackles.
• Daquan Romero had a career-high 12 tackles.
• Henry Coley matched a career best with 11 tackles.
• Ian Frye’s 53-yard field goal tied for the third longest in UVa history
• Frye’s 53-yard field goal was the longest since Chris Hinkebein’s 52-yarder vs. Maryland (Nov. 13, 2010).
• Frye’s previous long field goal was 30 yards vs. Wake Forest (Oct. 20, 2012).
• Frye is now 4-for-6 on field goal attempts in his career.
• Alec Vozenilek set a career-high with 13 punts, breaking his previous high of nine vs. Virginia Tech (2012)
• Four of Vozenilek’s 13 punts were downed inside BYU’s 20-yard line.
BYU Postgame Notes
• Senior linebacker and recently appointed team captain Uani ‘Unga notched a team-high and career-high 10 tackles, with one tackle for loss. His previous career high was six against Weber State in 2012. Defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna also recorded a career high with 10 tackles, including six solo tackles.
• Junior linebacker Alani Fua tallied eight tackles (also a career high) to help the defense hold Virginia to just 223 total offensive yards.
• Junior safety Craig Bills snagged a deflected pass to earn his third career interception—
his first since 2009.
• Linebacker Kyle Van Noy filled up the stat sheet yet again as he recorded four tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, a pass breakup and one quarterback hurry—a hurry that led to Bills’ interception.
• Jamaal Williams, who set BYU true freshman rushing records last year, ran the ball 33 times for 148 yards, just seven yards shy of his career high.
• JD Falslev tied for first on the team with three receptions, including the first touchdown on the night for BYU. His receiving score tied his career high in receiving touchdowns.
• Skyler Ridley also pulled in three catches for 29 yards.
• Quarterback Taysom Hill not only passed and ran the ball, but he also punted in the first quarter. Later in the fourth quarter, the sophomore scored the only BYU rushing touchdown of the game.
• The Cavaliers converted a safety in the third quarter to go up 12-7. The last time BYU gave up a safety was in 2006 in a win against Tulsa—also the last time the Cougars experienced a lightning delay.
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Kiser Named a Semifinalist for the 88th AAU James E....
Football | 3/14/2018
Former Virginia All-American football player Micah Kiser is one of 29 semifinalist for the...
Jeff White: Cunningham Flying High With Eagles
Football | 2/23/2018
Former UVA offensive lineman Ian-Yates Cunningham is Super Bowl champion Philadelphia's director ...
Promotional Dates Set for 2018 Football Schedule
Football | 2/19/2018
The promotional dates for the 2018 Virginia home football games were announced today.
Jeff White: Mendenhall Ready for Next Phase of Process
Football | 2/7/2018
Bronco Mendenhall is in his third year as UVA's head coach. The Cavaliers, who finished 2-10 in...
Signing Day Central: New Standard 2018
Football | 2/7/2018
Welcome to VirginiaSports.com's 2018 National Signing Day live page - your home for the latest...
Chandler, Shumate & Pototschnik Join Conditioning Staff
Football | 2/6/2018
Virginia's director of football development and performance Shawn Griswold has added three...
Spring Football Edition of Coach’s Corner with Bronco ...
Football | 03/19/2018
The Spring Football "Coach's Corner with Bronco Mendenhall" radio program is presented by...
Virginia Athletics Announces Football in February Promotion
Football | 02/01/2018
28 Days of Prizes include tickets, autographed memorabilia and official Nike gear. Virginia...
- Online Stores