Oct. 1, 2016
Virginia Postgame Notes
Virginia 34, Duke 20
Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016
Wallace Wade Stadium
UVA is now 35-33 all-time against Duke.
UVA is now 13-19 all-time against Duke in Durham.
UVA is now 24-39 all-time in ACC openers.
UVA snaps a four-game losing streak at Duke. UVA's last win at Wallace Wade Stadium came in 2006.
UVA wins its ACC opener for second time in three seasons (2014 vs. Louisville).
Virginia notched five interceptions against Duke, tying a program record. It was the 10th time in program history UVA made five interceptions and the first since 2010 against Miami.
UVA forced six turnovers, the most since forcing seven vs. Richmond in 2014
UVA forced four interceptions in the first half. The last time UVA forced four turnovers in a half was against Richmond in 2014, forcing four in the second half against the Spiders.
UVA snapped its 17-game road losing streak. Before today, UVA's last road win came in 2012 at NC State.
Eleven Cavaliers caught at least one pass against the Blue Devils.
Collegiate debuts: Sam Hayward (PK)
CB Juan Thornhill recorded his second career interception with his second pick of the year in the first quarter. He followed up with his second interception of the day to put a stamp on the game in the fourth quarter.
WR David Eldridge's 28-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter was his first career touchdown.
Eldridge pulled down a career-long 84-yard reception in the second quarter that set up UVA's second touchdown.
Eldridge finished the game with two catches and 112 receiving yards, a career high. The two receptions matched a career high
The 84-yard Kurt Benkert's pass to Eldridge is tied for the 12th-longest pass in school history.
The pass is second-longest non-scoring pass and reception in program history.
Benkert is the first UVA quarterback to throw passes of 80 yards or more in consecutive games. He connected on an 82-yard touchdown pass last week vs. Central Michigan.
Benkert finished with 336 passing yards, the first time a UVA quarterback threw for at least 300 yards in back-to-back games since Michael Rocco in the 2011 Chick-fil-A Bowl and the 2012 season opener against Richmond.
Only once before has UVA had two passes completed of 80-yards or more in the same season (1983).
CB Bryce Hall recorded his first career interception in the second quarter.
Hall made his second interception of the game in the second quarter, becoming the first Cavalier to have a multi-interception game since Anthony Harris against Georgia Tech in 2013.
FS Quin Blanding made his first interception of the game in the second quarter and the fifth of his career.
PK Sam Hayward, a former UVA soccer player, scored his first career points after connecting on four PATs.
Mizzell extended his streak of games with a reception to 38, which was tied for the third-longest active streak in the country entering the day.
Richard Burney's three-yard touchdown reception from Benkert in the third quarter was his first career reception and touchdown.
ILB Micah Kiser recorded a career-high 18 tackles, breaking his previous best of 17 last year against Duke.
In the last two games against Duke, Kiser has 35 tackles.
- Redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Jones threw for 130+ yards, moving his season total to 1,414,
the fifth most by a Duke rookie quarterback.
- Thaddeus Lewis owns the record with 2,134 passing yards in 2006.
- Jones registered his fourth game of the season with 200 or more passing yards, the second most by a
Duke freshman quarterback, trailing only Lewis' five such contests in 2006.
- Jones threw one touchdown pass in the game, lifting his season total to six, the fifth most by a Duke
freshman quarterback in a year.
- Jones has thrown four touchdown passes in the last two games.
- Dave Brown owns the Blue Devil rookie mark with 14 TD passes in 1989.
- Jones tallied 30-plus completions, his second time this season surpassing 30 completions, becoming
the first Duke rookie quarterback to have multiple 30-plus completions in a season.
- Jones' 33 completions gave him 125 this year to move into third on the Duke freshman completions in
a season chart.
- Lewis (2006) owns the record with 180 completions.
- Redshirt junior running back Joseph Ajeigbe scored his first career offensive touchdown in the fourth
quarter with a four-yard plunge.
- Ajeigbe's other score was a special teams INT return for touchdown against Tulane in 2014
- Sophomore wide receiver T.J. Rahming made six receptions and has six or more receptions in the last
- Rahming has turned in a strong last eight contests with 54 receptions (6.75 r/g) for 605 yards
- Redshirt junior wide receiver Quay Chambers finished with five catches for a career-high 90 yards,
including a personal-best 43-yard catch in the fourth quarter that set up Ajeigbe's touchdown.
- In Chambers' last two games he owns 10 catches for 145 yards. He entered the Notre Dame
contest with two career receptions for 11 yards in 16 career contests.
- Redshirt sophomore tight end David Koppenhaver finished with a personal-best five receptions for 30
- Koppenhaver entered the game with three career catches for 27 yards.
- Senior cornerback Breon Borders tallied one pass breakup to move into a tie with Erwin Sampson
(1988-1991/32) and Wyatt Smith (1988-91/32) and for third place on the Duke all-time chart with 32.
- Borders has registered eight pass breakups in the last three games.
- Sophomore Ben Humphreys recorded his first double-digit tackle performance of the year with a
career-high 13 hits.
- Humphreys' other career game with 10 or more stops was the New Era Pinstripe Bowl (11).
- Senior safety Corbin McCarthy booked 2.0 tackles for loss and has at least one TFL in three straight
games and a half TFL in four consecutive contests.
- McCarthy owned 2.5 career TFL entering the 2016 season.
- Senior defensive tackle A.J. Wolf tallied 1.0 tackles for lost yardage, giving him 5.0 TFL this season.
He totaled 4.0 TFL during the entire 2015 season.
- All of Wolf's TFLs this season have been sacks.
- Freshman kicker AJ Reed made a career-long 38-yard field goal in the second quarter and added his
second field goal of the contest in the third quarter.
- The makes were Reed's first in a home contest.
- Reed had one career field goal entering the game.
- Reed's two field goals are tied for the second most in a game by a Duke freshman, trailing
only Ross Martin's four against North Carolina in 2012.
- Duke's defense forced one turnover to bring its total to 18 in the last six games.
- With Ben Humphrey's interception in the fourth quarter, Duke has picked off a pass in eight consecutive
contests, the longest streak for the program since nine straight games from September 28 - December
- The Blue Devils' defense picked up 3.0 sacks, giving the team 20.0 this season, more than the entire
2015 campaign when Duke had 17.0.
- Duke has tallied at least 3.0 sacks in each game this season.
- Virginia scored 21 points off four Duke turnovers.
- Opponents entered today's game with just 13 points off turnovers in Duke's previous four
- Duke's defense allowed two third-down conversions in the first quarter.
- The Blue Devils entered the game holding opponents to 2-of-15 on third downs during the first
- The Cavaliers failed on a pair of fourth-down attempts and foes are now zero-for-four on fourth down
tries against the Blue Devils this season.
- With Duke leading 7-6 after the first quarter, the Blue Devils have outscored foes 49-27 in the opening
- The Blue Devils have also outscored opponents 101-55 in the first half of games this season.
De Koning Finds Second Home at UVAField Hockey9/25/17A native of Holland, Nadine de Koning is a four-year starter for No. 4 Virginia, which hosts Pacific at 1 p.m. Monday at the U-Hall Turf Field.'Hoos Make Statement With Resounding WinFootball9/23/17On the blue turf of Albertsons Stadium, where Boise State rarely loses, Virginia rolled a 42-23 victory Friday night in a game shown on ESPN2.Dreams Coming True for Opoku at UVAMen's Soccer9/22/17Edward Opoku, a native of Ghana, is the leading scorer for No. 9 Virginia, which hosts No. 7 North Carolina on Friday night at Klöckner Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Kickoff for UVA-Duke Set for 12:20 P.M.
Football | 9/25/2017
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced the start time for Virginia’s Oct. 7 home game...
Cavaliers in the NFL: Week 3
Football | 9/25/2017
A brief look at the performances of former Cavaliers now playing in the NFL
Benkert and Levrone Take Home ACC POW Honors
Football | 9/25/2017
Virginia quarterback Kurt Benkert and wide receiver Andre Levrone each earned ACC Player of the Week
Jeff White: 'Hoos Make Resounding Statement
Football | 9/23/2017
On the blue turf of Albertsons Stadium, where Boise State seldom loses, Virginia rolled to a 42-2...
Virginia Rolls to 42-23 Win at Boise State
Football | 9/23/2017
Kurt Benkert threw for 273 yards and three TDs to lead Virginia past Boise State 42-23 Friday in ...
UVA and Boise State Clash for a Friday Night Tilt
Football | 9/18/2017
Cavaliers travel to Idaho for their first road game of the year on Friday night. UVA will play...
Jeff White: Reinkensmeyer Moves Center Stage
Football | 09/19/2017
Redshirt freshman Dillon Reinkensmeyer will make his third start for Virginia -- his second at...
Kiser Named Lott IMPACT Trophy Player of the Week
Football | 09/19/2017
UVA will receive $1,000 for its general scholarship fund in recognition of Kiser’s...
- Online Stores