Nov. 3, 2012
Nov. 3, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
- UVa wins at Carter-Finley Stadium for the first time since a 47-26 triumph in 1999.
- UVa is now 22-34-1 all-time against NC State and won for the first time since 2006.
- UVa won on the road for the first time in 2012 and the first time since the 2011 Florida State game.
- UVa allowed 216 yards of total offense. NC State is UVa's third opponent in a row who hasn't broke 235 yards of total offense.
- UVa held NC State to 197 passing yards. NC State entered the game No. 2 in the ACC with a 306 passing yards a game average.
- UVa forced five turnovers against NC State. UVa entered the game with only four on the season.
- UVa entered the game with seven sacks on the season and finished the game with six. UVa had four sacks in the second quarter alone.
- Virginia scored a TD on its opening drive for the first time since the Duke game.
- Virginia led at the half (16-0) for the first time since the Duke game.
- Virginia held an opponent scoreless in the first half for the first time since the William & Mary game in 2011.
- UVa's rushing TD in the first quarter was the first by the Cavaliers since the first quarter of the Duke game - a span of 11 quarters.
- Maurice Canady, Eli Harold and Daquan Romero made their first career starts, pushing UVa's total of first-time starters in 2012 to 18, tying TCU for No. 4 in the nation.
- Vincent Croce, James Valerias and Rob Burns all made collegiate debuts.
- Phillips Sims rushes for his first career touchdown on a 1-yd scamper in the first quarter.
- Anthony Harris made his first career INT in the first quarter and returned it 37 yards.
- Brent Urban collected his first career sack in the second quarter.
- Eli Harold collected his first career INT in the second quarter.
- Harold's INT was the first by a UVa defensive lineman since Nate Collins' pick-six at Maryland in 2009.
- Darius Jennings had an 18-yard TD catch, the shortest scoring reception of his career. He owns 53 and 51-yard TD scores.
- With six catches, Perry Jones now has 114 career receptions and is tied for No. 9 in the UVa annals with Herman Moore and Wali Lundy.
'Hoos Head Into Finals on High NoteMen's Basketball12/7/16No. 14 Virginia, which defeated East Carolina on Tuesday night, doesn't play again until Dec. 17, when Robert Morris visits JPJ.'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Blanding is a Sporting News All-American
Football | 12/7/2016
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding was named to the second team of the Sporting News' 2016 All-Am...
UVA Football Honored by AFCA For Graduation Rate
Football | 12/5/2016
The Virginia football team was one of 75 institutions recognized this week by the American...
Kiser Named a CoSIDA Football Academic All-American
Football | 12/1/2016
Virginia inside linebacker Micah Kiser has been named to the 2016 College Sports Information...
Blanding, Conte and Kiser Highlight All-ACC Honorees
Football | 11/28/2016
Free safety Quin Blanding, punter Nicholas Conte and inside linebacker Micah Kiser highlight...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Head Into Offseason on Humbling Note
Football | 11/27/2016
UVA finished its first season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall with a 2-10 record after losing ...
Virginia Drops Season Finale to Virginia Tech, 52-10
Football | 11/26/2016
Sam Rogers ran for a career-best 105 yards and two touchdowns and Virginia Tech tuned up for...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Look to End Drought Saturday
Football | 11/25/2016
At noon Saturday, Virginia (2-9, 1-6) closes the season against ACC rival Virginia Tech (8-3, 5-2...
UVA Concludes Season at Virginia Tech on Saturday
Football | 11/21/2016
Virginia and Virginia Tech will play a nationally-televised game on Saturday afternoon on ESPN2.
- Online Stores