Nov. 3, 2012
Nov. 3, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
- UVa wins at Carter-Finley Stadium for the first time since a 47-26 triumph in 1999.
- UVa is now 22-34-1 all-time against NC State and won for the first time since 2006.
- UVa won on the road for the first time in 2012 and the first time since the 2011 Florida State game.
- UVa allowed 216 yards of total offense. NC State is UVa's third opponent in a row who hasn't broke 235 yards of total offense.
- UVa held NC State to 197 passing yards. NC State entered the game No. 2 in the ACC with a 306 passing yards a game average.
- UVa forced five turnovers against NC State. UVa entered the game with only four on the season.
- UVa entered the game with seven sacks on the season and finished the game with six. UVa had four sacks in the second quarter alone.
- Virginia scored a TD on its opening drive for the first time since the Duke game.
- Virginia led at the half (16-0) for the first time since the Duke game.
- Virginia held an opponent scoreless in the first half for the first time since the William & Mary game in 2011.
- UVa's rushing TD in the first quarter was the first by the Cavaliers since the first quarter of the Duke game - a span of 11 quarters.
- Maurice Canady, Eli Harold and Daquan Romero made their first career starts, pushing UVa's total of first-time starters in 2012 to 18, tying TCU for No. 4 in the nation.
- Vincent Croce, James Valerias and Rob Burns all made collegiate debuts.
- Phillips Sims rushes for his first career touchdown on a 1-yd scamper in the first quarter.
- Anthony Harris made his first career INT in the first quarter and returned it 37 yards.
- Brent Urban collected his first career sack in the second quarter.
- Eli Harold collected his first career INT in the second quarter.
- Harold's INT was the first by a UVa defensive lineman since Nate Collins' pick-six at Maryland in 2009.
- Darius Jennings had an 18-yard TD catch, the shortest scoring reception of his career. He owns 53 and 51-yard TD scores.
- With six catches, Perry Jones now has 114 career receptions and is tied for No. 9 in the UVa annals with Herman Moore and Wali Lundy.
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: UVA Pioneer Ready for Next Chapter
Football | 5/21/2018
Kent Merritt, who's retiring from his position in the history department, was among the players...
Kickoff Times Announced for Three Virginia Home Games
Football | 5/18/2018
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Jeff White: Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall, Williams
Football | 5/17/2018
Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with ...
Virginia Football Single-Game Tickets on Sale
Football | 5/17/2018
Single-game tickets for all seven home games of the 2018 Virginia Football season go on sale...
Playing Careers End for Kirven and Trucilla
Football | 5/11/2018
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today defensive linemen John Kirven (Ral...
Vittese and Kiser Claim UVA Top Honors
Football | 5/2/2018
Tara Vittese (field hockey) and Micah Kiser (football) were honored as Virginia’s top male ...
Jeff White: Wrapping Up Spring Football
Football | 05/01/2018
There's no denying his potential, but wideout Hasise Dubois has much room to improve, his coaches...
DL Dylan Thompson Transfers to Virginia from Ohio State
Football | 04/30/2018
Ohio State defensive lineman Dylan Thompson (Addison, Ill.) has announced he will transfer to...
- Online Stores