Nov. 3, 2012
Nov. 3, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
- UVa wins at Carter-Finley Stadium for the first time since a 47-26 triumph in 1999.
- UVa is now 22-34-1 all-time against NC State and won for the first time since 2006.
- UVa won on the road for the first time in 2012 and the first time since the 2011 Florida State game.
- UVa allowed 216 yards of total offense. NC State is UVa's third opponent in a row who hasn't broke 235 yards of total offense.
- UVa held NC State to 197 passing yards. NC State entered the game No. 2 in the ACC with a 306 passing yards a game average.
- UVa forced five turnovers against NC State. UVa entered the game with only four on the season.
- UVa entered the game with seven sacks on the season and finished the game with six. UVa had four sacks in the second quarter alone.
- Virginia scored a TD on its opening drive for the first time since the Duke game.
- Virginia led at the half (16-0) for the first time since the Duke game.
- Virginia held an opponent scoreless in the first half for the first time since the William & Mary game in 2011.
- UVa's rushing TD in the first quarter was the first by the Cavaliers since the first quarter of the Duke game - a span of 11 quarters.
- Maurice Canady, Eli Harold and Daquan Romero made their first career starts, pushing UVa's total of first-time starters in 2012 to 18, tying TCU for No. 4 in the nation.
- Vincent Croce, James Valerias and Rob Burns all made collegiate debuts.
- Phillips Sims rushes for his first career touchdown on a 1-yd scamper in the first quarter.
- Anthony Harris made his first career INT in the first quarter and returned it 37 yards.
- Brent Urban collected his first career sack in the second quarter.
- Eli Harold collected his first career INT in the second quarter.
- Harold's INT was the first by a UVa defensive lineman since Nate Collins' pick-six at Maryland in 2009.
- Darius Jennings had an 18-yard TD catch, the shortest scoring reception of his career. He owns 53 and 51-yard TD scores.
- With six catches, Perry Jones now has 114 career receptions and is tied for No. 9 in the UVa annals with Herman Moore and Wali Lundy.
Road Tests Await 'HoosMen's Basketball1/22/17No. 16 UVA, which beat Georgia Tech at JPJ on Saturday, is on the road Tuesday against No. 15 Notre Dame and next Sunday against No. 1 Villanova.Perseverance Paying Off for SchanyWrestling1/21/17Redshirt sophomore Will Schany is the starting 184-pounder for No. 25 Virginia, which meets No. 6 Virginia Tech at 4 p.m. Sunday in Blacksburg.Selflessness Marks Cavaliers' Latest WinMen's Basketball1/19/17In its latest road victory, a 71-54 conquest of Boston College, No. 16 Virginia recorded assists on 22 of its 27 field goals Wednesday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mendenhall Announces Four Early Enrollees
Football | 1/18/2017
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced that four members of the program’s...
Virginia Football to Face Maryland in 2023, 2024
Football | 1/12/2017
Virginia and Maryland will meet in football for a two-game series in 2023 and 2024, the schools...
UVA to Meet Georgia in 2020 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
Football | 1/11/2017
The Virginia Cavaliers and the Georgia Bulldogs will face off in the 2020 Chick-fil-A Kickoff...
Quin Blanding to Return for Senior Season at UVA
Football | 12/26/2016
Cavalier free safety Quin Blanding (Virginia Beach, Va.) announced today he would return to...
Jeff White: True Freshmen Provide Building Blocks
Football | 12/15/2016
Of the nine true freshmen who played for Virginia this fall, many made significant contributions,...
Jeff White: Offseason Work Under Way for Cavaliers
Football | 12/14/2016
Virginia, which finished 2-10 in its first year under Bronco Mendenhall, opens the 2017 season...
Kiser Named Second Team All-American by FWAA
Football | 12/12/2016
Virginia junior inside linebacker Micah Kiser (Baltimore, Md.) was named a second-team All-Americ...
Blanding, Conte and Kiser Earn Coaches All-ACC
Football | 12/08/2016
Free safety Quin Blanding, punter Nicholas Conte and inside linebacker Micah Kiser are Virginia's...
- Online Stores