Dec. 28, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
Navy 49, UVA 7
Thursday, Dec. 28, 2017
Navy-Marine Corps Stadium
- Virginia played in its 19th all-time bowl game by making its first appearance in the Military Bowl.
- UVA is now 7-12 all-time in bowl games.
- UVA is now 11-28 all-time against Navy.
- FS Quin Blanding made his 49th career start, tying him with Clint Sintim and D’Brickashaw Ferguson for No. 2 all-time in program history.
- Blanding started every game of his collegiate career.
- TB Daniel Hamm appeared in his 50th game for the Cavaliers. He is the 11th Cavalier all-time to reach the 50-game plateau.
- TE Osiris Crutchfield made his first collegiate start.
- Joe Reed returned the game’s opening kick 98 yards for a touchdown. It was the fifth-longest return in program history.
- It was Reed’s second return for a touchdown this season (and career).
- Reed’s return is a UVA bowl record, topping Demetrius “Pete” Allen’s 83-yard touchdown return against Georgia in the 1995 Peach Bowl. It is only UVA’s second kick return for a touchdown in a bowl game.
- With five catches, Olamide Zaccheaus extended his active reception streak to 29 games.
- Zaccheaus finished the season with 85 receptions, breaking Billy McMullen’s (83) 2001 single-season record for receptions.
- With 16 completions, QB Kurt Benkert passed Matt Schaub’s (288) 2002 single-season record. Benkert finished the year with 298 completions.
- With 16 tackles, FS Quin Blanding notched his 25th career double-digit tackle game.
- Blanding finished with 495 career tackles, putting a rubber stamp on his UVA record.
- Blanding’s 495 career tackles rank No. 6 all-time ACC history, most among defensive backs. He shares the No. 6 spot with Duke’s Ryan Fowler (2000-03).
- With 11 tackles, ILB Micah Kiser notched his 21st career double-digit tackle game. He finished his career with 21 double-digit tackle games in 37 career starts.
- Kiser finished with 145 tackles in 2017, which ranks No. 2 all-time at UVA for a season.
- Kiser finished his UVA career with 411 career tackles, which ranks No. 5 all-time at UVA.
Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJMen's Basketball1/15/18No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday night.Singh Back in Familiar SurroundingsMen's Tennis1/12/18Former UVA tennis star Sanam Singh is back at his alma mater as the volunteer assistant coach in the men's program.Hayes Making Immediate ImpactWrestling1/10/18Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes is ranked No. 13 nationally at 125 pounds for Virginia, which competes at the Virginia Duals this weekend in Hampton.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Griswold Named Dir. of FB Development & Performance
Football | 1/9/2018
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (Jan. 9) that Shawn Griswold has...
Jeff White: Brumfield Eager to Get Started at UVA
Football | 1/3/2018
Ricky Brumfield will join head coach Bronco Mendenhall's staff at UVA next week as special teams ...
Ricky Brumfield Named Assistant Football Coach
Football | 12/30/2017
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (Dec. 30) the hiring of Ricky...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Head Into Offseason On Humbling Note
Football | 12/29/2017
In its first postseason appearance in six years, Virginia lost 49-7 to Navy in the Military Bowl ...
UVA Falls in the Military Bowl at Navy, 49-7
Football | 12/28/2017
Joe Reed returned the game's opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. It was the fifth-longest...
Jeff White: New Chapter Awaits 'Hoos in Annapolis
Football | 12/27/2017
A victory Thursday over Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl in Annapolis, Md., would give Virginia (6...
Jeff White: Harrison Proud of Cavaliers' Progress
Football | 12/24/2017
Former UVA standout Chris Harrison is on the board of directors of the Military Bowl, in which...
UVA and Navy Meet Thursday in the Military Bowl
Football | 12/26/2017
Cavaliers and Midshipmen Meet for the 39th time in series history. UVA is playing in its 19th all...
- Online Stores