Dec. 28, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
Navy 49, UVA 7
Thursday, Dec. 28, 2017
Navy-Marine Corps Stadium
- Virginia played in its 19th all-time bowl game by making its first appearance in the Military Bowl.
- UVA is now 7-12 all-time in bowl games.
- UVA is now 11-28 all-time against Navy.
- FS Quin Blanding made his 49th career start, tying him with Clint Sintim and D’Brickashaw Ferguson for No. 2 all-time in program history.
- Blanding started every game of his collegiate career.
- TB Daniel Hamm appeared in his 50th game for the Cavaliers. He is the 11th Cavalier all-time to reach the 50-game plateau.
- TE Osiris Crutchfield made his first collegiate start.
- Joe Reed returned the game’s opening kick 98 yards for a touchdown. It was the fifth-longest return in program history.
- It was Reed’s second return for a touchdown this season (and career).
- Reed’s return is a UVA bowl record, topping Demetrius “Pete” Allen’s 83-yard touchdown return against Georgia in the 1995 Peach Bowl. It is only UVA’s second kick return for a touchdown in a bowl game.
- With five catches, Olamide Zaccheaus extended his active reception streak to 29 games.
- Zaccheaus finished the season with 85 receptions, breaking Billy McMullen’s (83) 2001 single-season record for receptions.
- With 16 completions, QB Kurt Benkert passed Matt Schaub’s (288) 2002 single-season record. Benkert finished the year with 298 completions.
- With 16 tackles, FS Quin Blanding notched his 25th career double-digit tackle game.
- Blanding finished with 495 career tackles, putting a rubber stamp on his UVA record.
- Blanding’s 495 career tackles rank No. 6 all-time ACC history, most among defensive backs. He shares the No. 6 spot with Duke’s Ryan Fowler (2000-03).
- With 11 tackles, ILB Micah Kiser notched his 21st career double-digit tackle game. He finished his career with 21 double-digit tackle games in 37 career starts.
- Kiser finished with 145 tackles in 2017, which ranks No. 2 all-time at UVA for a season.
- Kiser finished his UVA career with 411 career tackles, which ranks No. 5 all-time at UVA.
Hunter Continues to Blossom for 'HoosMen's Basketball1/22/18Another strong performance off the bench by redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter helped No. 2 Virginia rally for a 59-49 win at Wake Forest on Sunday night.1992-93 Cavaliers Step Back Into SpotlightWomen's Basketball1/20/18The 1992-93 Virginia women's basketball team will be honored Sunday at John Paul Jones Arena as part of National Girls and Women in Sports Day.'Hoos Make Themselves at Home in AtlantaMen's Basketball1/19/18No. 2 Virginia, which plays Sunday at Wake Forest, stretched its winning streak to nine games with a victory over Georgia Tech in Atlanta on Thursday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
2018 Football Season Tickets on Sale Jan. 29
Football | 1/22/2018
Season tickets for Virginia's 2018 seven-game home schedule will be on sale for renewals and new ...
Virginia Announces 2018 Football Schedule
Football | 1/17/2018
The Atlantic Coast Conference has released the 2018 football schedules for its member...
Griswold Named Dir. of FB Development & Performance
Football | 1/9/2018
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (Jan. 9) that Shawn Griswold has...
Jeff White: Brumfield Eager to Get Started at UVA
Football | 1/3/2018
Ricky Brumfield will join head coach Bronco Mendenhall's staff at UVA next week as special teams ...
Ricky Brumfield Named Assistant Football Coach
Football | 12/30/2017
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (Dec. 30) the hiring of Ricky...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Head Into Offseason On Humbling Note
Football | 12/29/2017
In its first postseason appearance in six years, Virginia lost 49-7 to Navy in the Military Bowl ...
UVA Falls in the Military Bowl at Navy, 49-7
Football | 12/28/2017
Joe Reed returned the game's opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. It was the fifth-longest...
Jeff White: New Chapter Awaits 'Hoos in Annapolis
Football | 12/27/2017
A victory Thursday over Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl in Annapolis, Md., would give Virginia (6...
- Online Stores