Sept. 1, 2012
Virginia Game Notes vs. Richmond
• First-Time Starters:
Offense: Zachary Swanson (FB), Cody Wallace (OG), Sean Cascarano (OG) Defense: Drequan Hoskey (CB), Brandon Phelps (SS), Anthony Harris (FS), Brent Urban (DT).
• UVa players making their collegiate debut: ** - denotes true freshmen: Pablo Alvarez, Demeitre Brim**, Ross Burbank, Maurice Canady**, Trent Corney**, Anthony Cooper**, David Dean, Jeremy Dollin, Ian Frye, Adrian Gamble**, Jon Goss, Eli Harold**, Nick Koutris, Darius Lee, Kwontie Moore**, Mike Moore**, John Pond, Canaan Severin**, Mason Thomas, Jay Whitmire, Alec Vozenilek.
• UVa is now 79-35-9 all-time in season openers.
• UVa is now 27-2-2 all-time against Richmond.
• Richmond's 19 points ties the most that the Spiders have ever scored against UVa, matching the 1946 output when Richmond won 19-7.
• Mike London becomes the first UVa head coach since Rice Warren in 1921 to win his first three season openers (1913, 1920-21).
• UVa has won three season openers in a row, marking the fist time that feat has happened since the 2003-05 seasons.
• With 545 yards of total offense, UVa has now reached the 500-yard plateau for the third time under Mike London (2010 at Duke (643) and 2011 at Maryland (527) and for the fourth time since 2005.
• UVa has now reached the 400-yard plateau of total offense in 13 of the 26 games during the Mike London era.
• UVa scored the most points in a season opener since tallying 44 vs. Temple in 2004. • It also was UVa's most points since scoring 48 three times in 2010.
• UVa recorded a safety for the first time since 2007 against Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl - UVa recorded two that game.
• Michael Rocco passed for 311 yards to make him the 16th player in UVa history to reach the 3,000-yard plateau for passing in a career.
• Rocco now has 3,125 career passing yards and sits No. 13 all-time at UVa, passing Symmion Willis (3,003), Bob Davis (3,095) and Wayne Schuchts (3,124) with his performance against Richmond.
• Rocco has thrown for over 300 yards in two straight games, becoming the first UVa QB to do that since Jameel Sewell in 2009 - at Southern Miss (312) and vs. Indiana (308).
• Rocco has now tossed over 200 yards for the eighth time in his career, tying him for No. 10 in the UVa annals all-time.
• Rocco has reached 200 yards passing in four straight games.
• Zachary Swanson finished with two catches for seven yards, his first two collegiate catches.
• Jake McGee caught two passes for 23 yards, his first two collegiate receptions.
• Darius Jennings' 51-yard TD catch is the second longest reception of his career. He had a 53-yard TD reception in '11 at Miami. Both of his TD receptions have gone for over 50 yards.
• Jennings set career highs with five receptions and 84 yards receiving.
• Drew Jarrett attempted his first career FG, and his 45-yard make ranks as the fifth-longest initial FG by a UVa kicker. The longer ones:
Chris Hinkebein 52 yards vs. Maryland, 2010
Joe Jenkins 48 yards vs. Virginia Tech , 1973
Chris Gould 48 yards vs. Pittsburgh, 2006
Connor Hughes 47 yards vs. Maryland, 2002
• Khalek Shepherd returned his first career punt and returned two for nine yards.
• Shepherd's 12-yard reception was a career high.
• Shepherd's 59-yard kick return to start the second half was the longest return of his career.
• E.J. Scott caught three balls for 54 yards, the first catches of his career.
• FB Billy Skrobacz made his first appearance since the 2010 season
• Kevin Parks had two TDs and now has five career TDs in UVa season openers.
Cavalier Football Notebook -- Virginia Tech WeekFootball11/24/15At noon Saturday, Virginia (4-7, 3-4) closes the season against Virginia Tech (5-6, 3-4) at Scott Stadium.'Hoos Hit Their Stride In CharlestonMen's Basketball11/23/15In winning the Charleston (S.C.) Classic, the Virginia men's basketball team posted an average margin of victory of 25.7 points.Johns Continues Late-Season SurgeFootball11/21/15A career day from quarterback Matt Johns helped Virginia defeated ACC rival Duke 42-34 in a Coastal Division game Saturday at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Returns Home to Host Duke on Saturday
Football | 11/16/2015
Virginia returns home to the Jeffersonian confines of Scott Stadium on Saturday to host the Duke ...
Kickoff for UVA-Virginia Tech Game to Be Announced Nov. 21
Football | 11/16/2015
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today the start time for Virginia's Nov. 28 home football...
Severin Named ACC Receiver of the Week
Football | 11/16/2015
Virginia senior wide receiver Canaan Severin (Marlborough, Mass.) was named ACC Receiver of the...
Jeff White: Severin Shines Again in Losing Effort
Football | 11/15/2015
In a 38-31 loss to ACC foe Louisville, senior wide receiver Canaan Severin had eight receptions...
Kickoff Time for UVA's Home Game vs. Duke is Set for 3:30 p.m.
Football | 11/9/2015
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today the start time for Virginia's Nov. 21 home football...
Virginia Drops 38-31 Decision to Louisville
Football | 11/14/2015
QB Matt Johns led the team with 260 passing yards and four touchdowns in loss to the Louisville...
Farm Bureau Insurance Coach's Corner with Mike London...
Football | 11/17/2015
The weekly "Coach's Corner with Mike London" radio program, presented by Virginia Farm Bureau...
Jeff White: Frye Closing Cavalier Career With Flourish
Football | 11/13/2015
With 64 points, senior kicker Ian Frye is the leading scorer for Virginia (3-6, 2-3), which...
- Online Stores