Sept. 1, 2012
Virginia Game Notes vs. Richmond
• First-Time Starters:
Offense: Zachary Swanson (FB), Cody Wallace (OG), Sean Cascarano (OG) Defense: Drequan Hoskey (CB), Brandon Phelps (SS), Anthony Harris (FS), Brent Urban (DT).
• UVa players making their collegiate debut: ** - denotes true freshmen: Pablo Alvarez, Demeitre Brim**, Ross Burbank, Maurice Canady**, Trent Corney**, Anthony Cooper**, David Dean, Jeremy Dollin, Ian Frye, Adrian Gamble**, Jon Goss, Eli Harold**, Nick Koutris, Darius Lee, Kwontie Moore**, Mike Moore**, John Pond, Canaan Severin**, Mason Thomas, Jay Whitmire, Alec Vozenilek.
• UVa is now 79-35-9 all-time in season openers.
• UVa is now 27-2-2 all-time against Richmond.
• Richmond's 19 points ties the most that the Spiders have ever scored against UVa, matching the 1946 output when Richmond won 19-7.
• Mike London becomes the first UVa head coach since Rice Warren in 1921 to win his first three season openers (1913, 1920-21).
• UVa has won three season openers in a row, marking the fist time that feat has happened since the 2003-05 seasons.
• With 545 yards of total offense, UVa has now reached the 500-yard plateau for the third time under Mike London (2010 at Duke (643) and 2011 at Maryland (527) and for the fourth time since 2005.
• UVa has now reached the 400-yard plateau of total offense in 13 of the 26 games during the Mike London era.
• UVa scored the most points in a season opener since tallying 44 vs. Temple in 2004. • It also was UVa's most points since scoring 48 three times in 2010.
• UVa recorded a safety for the first time since 2007 against Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl - UVa recorded two that game.
• Michael Rocco passed for 311 yards to make him the 16th player in UVa history to reach the 3,000-yard plateau for passing in a career.
• Rocco now has 3,125 career passing yards and sits No. 13 all-time at UVa, passing Symmion Willis (3,003), Bob Davis (3,095) and Wayne Schuchts (3,124) with his performance against Richmond.
• Rocco has thrown for over 300 yards in two straight games, becoming the first UVa QB to do that since Jameel Sewell in 2009 - at Southern Miss (312) and vs. Indiana (308).
• Rocco has now tossed over 200 yards for the eighth time in his career, tying him for No. 10 in the UVa annals all-time.
• Rocco has reached 200 yards passing in four straight games.
• Zachary Swanson finished with two catches for seven yards, his first two collegiate catches.
• Jake McGee caught two passes for 23 yards, his first two collegiate receptions.
• Darius Jennings' 51-yard TD catch is the second longest reception of his career. He had a 53-yard TD reception in '11 at Miami. Both of his TD receptions have gone for over 50 yards.
• Jennings set career highs with five receptions and 84 yards receiving.
• Drew Jarrett attempted his first career FG, and his 45-yard make ranks as the fifth-longest initial FG by a UVa kicker. The longer ones:
Chris Hinkebein 52 yards vs. Maryland, 2010
Joe Jenkins 48 yards vs. Virginia Tech , 1973
Chris Gould 48 yards vs. Pittsburgh, 2006
Connor Hughes 47 yards vs. Maryland, 2002
• Khalek Shepherd returned his first career punt and returned two for nine yards.
• Shepherd's 12-yard reception was a career high.
• Shepherd's 59-yard kick return to start the second half was the longest return of his career.
• E.J. Scott caught three balls for 54 yards, the first catches of his career.
• FB Billy Skrobacz made his first appearance since the 2010 season
• Kevin Parks had two TDs and now has five career TDs in UVa season openers.
Sky's the Limit for UVA Pole VaulterTrack & Field, Cross Country7/20/17Jeff Jernigan, who over the course of his UVA career became one of the ACC's top pole vaulters, was commissioned in the U.S. Navy in May.Graduate Transfers Bolster Offensive LineFootball7/18/17Graduate transfers John Montelus and Brandon Pertile will compete for starting jobs on the offensive line when UVA opens training camp late this month.'Hoos Hope to Build Momentum EarlyFootball7/15/17Four of Virginia's first five football games this season will be at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavman's Crew All-Star Registration Now Open
Football | 7/21/2017
Registration for the Cavman’s Crew All-Star package is now available at VirginiaSports.com.
Benkert Named to the Golden Arm Watch List
Football | 7/19/2017
Virginia quarterback Kurt Benkert was named to the 2017 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List
Jeff White: Graduate Transfers Bolster Offensive Line
Football | 7/18/2017
John Montelus and Brandon Pertile will compete for starting jobs on the offensive line when UVA...
Kiser Named to the Butkus Award Watch List
Football | 7/18/2017
Virginia inside linebacker Micah Kiser has been named to the preseason Butkus Award Watch List.
Blanding Named to the Wuerffel Trophy Preseason Watch List
Football | 7/18/2017
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding was named to the 2017 preseason Wuerffel Trophy Watch List....
Jeff White: 'Hoos Hope to Build Momentum Early
Football | 7/15/2017
Four of Virginia's first five games this season will be at Scott Stadium, starting with the Sept....
Blanding Named to the Thorpe Award Preseason Watch List
Football | 07/14/2017
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding was named to the 2017 preseason Jim Thorpe Award Watch List
Blanding and Kiser Named to the Nagurski Trophy Watch List
Football | 07/13/2017
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2016...
- Online Stores