Sept. 25, 2010Time:
David A. Harrison Field at Scott StadiumCapacity:
GrassSeries vs. VMI:
UVa leads, 55-23-3 In Charlottesville:
UVa leads 36-16-2 Last Meeting:
1991 (UVa 42-0)
Radio: Virginia Sports Network (affiliates)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 213, XM 191
Live Stats: Click here for the link to the LiveStats page. Note: Link available 30 minutes before kickoff. Allow 1-2 minutes for it to load at the start.
Rosters: Virginia VMI
Game Notes: Virginia VMI
Statistics: Virginia VMI
Virginia and VMI Match Up for First Time Since 1991
• Virginia and VMI have not faced off on the football field since 1991, a 42-0 Cavalier win in Scott Stadium.
• The teams have met 81 times previously; UVa owns a 55-23-3 edge in the all-time series and has won eight straight against the Keydets.
• VMI's last win in the series was Sept. 30, 1978, a 17-9 victory in Charlottesville; the last eight games have rarely been close - only one game was decided by fewer than 10 points, with an average score of 31.8-6.0.
Long History Between Cavaliers, Keydets
• Despite not playing in 19 seasons, Virginia and VMI have competed many times previously.
• This is the 82nd meeting between the schools on the gridiron - VMI is the third-most common opponent in UVa program history.
• Only North Carolina (114 games) and Virginia Tech (91 games) have battled UVa on more occasions than VMI.
Reid Takes on Former School
• Jim Reid, UVa's associate head coach and defensive coordinator, will match up this weekend against the school in which he used to serve as head coach.
• Reid presided over the VMI program as head coach during the 2006 and 2007 seasons.
• In between his stints at VMI and UVa, Reid was the outside LBs coach for two years for the NFL's Miami Dolphins.
• UVa defensive line coach Jeff Hanson held the same position at VMI under Reid in 2007.
Familiar Foe for London
• Mike London may be in his first season as the head coach at Virginia, but he is no stranger to the VMI program.
• London's Richmond teams faced the Keydets during the 2008 and 2009 seasons, with UR winning each matchup.
• Richmond won, 56-16, in 2008 in Lexington, then posted a 38-28 victory over the Keydets last year in Richmond.
Virginia Versus Big South Teams
• This will be Virginia's first game ever against a team representing the Big South Conference.
• The league added football as a championship sport in 2002 and currently consists of seven teams for football: Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, Gardner-Webb, Liberty, Presbyterian, Stony Brook and VMI.
Cavaliers Return to Action Following The Bye
• Virginia has had varying degrees of success following bye weeks.
• Over the last 20 years, Virginia has a 16-11 record when playing after a two-week break (not counting Thursday night games.)
• UVa won its lone game following a bye week last year, winning at North Carolina, 16-3.
• That win snapped a three-game losing streak in contests that followed a bye week.
Last Meeting: 1991 (UVa 42, VMI 0)
• Tailback Terry Kirby rushed for 121 yards and two touchdowns and caught four passes for 31 yards and another touchdown to lead the Cavaliers over VMI, 42-0, at Scott Stadium.
• The UVa defense limited the Keydets to just 20 yards passing as Virginia posted the shutout.
• UVa wide receiver Larry Holmes caught three passes for 83 yards and two touchdowns, and quarterback Matt Blundin completed 12 of 22 passes for 171 yards and three touchdowns.
London to Take Part in Coach to Cure MD
• Mike London will take part in Coach to Cure MD on Sept. 25 for the UVa game vs. VMI.
• London will be wearing the Coach to Cure MD patches during the game.
• Coach to Cure MD is a nation-wide project designed to build awareness about the disorder and raise money to support researchers trying to find a treatment and cure.
• Coach to Cure MD is a partnership between the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD), the largest nonprofit organization in the United States focused entirely on Duchenne muscular dystrophy, the leading childhood genetic killer of young men.
For full game notes, click on the link near the top of the page