Sept. 26, 2016
| Virginia at Duke • #UVAvsDUKE
|Date/Time||Sat., Oct. 1, 2016 | 12:30 p.m.|
|Location||Durham, N.C. | Wallace Wade Stadium (61,500)|
|Television||ACC Network | Affiliates|
|Radio||Virginia Sports Radio Network |
Satellite Radio -- Sirius 119 | XM 204
|Multimedia||Gametracker | WatchESPN|
|@UVA_Football | @UVACoachBronco | @VirginiaSports|
|Game Notes||Virginia | Duke | ACC | UVA Depth Chart|
|Additional Information||Tickets | Facebook | Instagram | 2016 Fact Book |
Game Day Central | 2016 Season Stats |
Coach Mendenhall Weekly Press Conference Transcript
Virginia Opens up ACC Play At Duke
• Virginia enters ACC play on Saturday when the Cavaliers head to Durham, N.C., to face the Duke Blue Devils. Kickoff is set for 12:30 p.m., and the game will be televised on the ACC Network.
Noting Virginia in ACC Openers
• Virginia begins its 63rd season competing in the Atlantic Coast Conference on Saturday at Duke.
• Virginia holds a 23-39 all-time record in conference openers.
• This is the eighth season over the last 11 years that Virginia will open ACC play on the road. During that span only the 2007 (Duke), 2010 (Florida State) and 2014 (Louisville) seasons did UVA start ACC play at Scott Stadium.
• UVA last opened conference play at Duke in 2008.
Virginia vs. Duke
• Virginia leads the series with Duke by a narrow 34-33 margin.
• Virginia’s 42-34 victory over Duke at Scott Stadium in 2015 snapped a three-game winning streak in the series by the Blue Devils.
• After UVA won eight games in a row in the series from 2000-07, Duke has won six of the last eight meetings.
• At one time Duke had a 12-game advantage in the series, but by winning 23 of the last 33 meetings since 1982, UVA now leads the all-time series by one win over the Blue Devils.
Five Top Storylines
• Duke is Virginia’s oldest opponent (1890) this season, while North Carolina is the second oldest (1892).
• Virginia and Duke have met every season since 1963.
• UVA quarterback Kurt Benkert passed for a UVA single-game record 421 yards on 27-of-43 passing. His five touchdowns are tied for No. 2 in the UVA annals for most touchdown passes in a game and it was the most since 2002 when current Atlanta Falcon Matt Schaub lit up Akron for five scoring strikes. Benkert is one of five Cavaliers to throw for five touchdowns in a game.
• Of UVA’s 13 touchdown drives this season, 12 of them have come in 3:50 or less, including all seven against Central Michigan on Sept. 24.
• With 161 career receptions, running back Taquan Mizzell needs one reception to move into a second- place tie with Kris Burd on the all-time receptions list at UVA.
More on Virginia-Duke Series
• Duke is Virginia’s oldest opponent (1890) this season; North Carolina is the second oldest (1892).
• Virginia has played 67 games vs. Duke – fifth most among all UVA opponents (UNC, VT, VMI, MD).
• The teams have played every year since 1963.
Offense Typically Excels vs. Blue Devils
• The Cavaliers have put up some impressive offensive performances against Duke in recent games.
• Virginia has scored at least 30 points in 18 of the last 33 meetings against the Blue Devils and topped 40 points seven times.
• In the last 26 games, UVa has outscored Duke, 773-470 (avg of 29.73-18.07).
• The 2011 meeting between UVA and Duke at Scott Stadium marked the Cavaliers’ one of two UVA victories in the last eight meetings. UVA scored 17 third-quarter points in the win, including a Chase Minnifield pick-six and a Perry Jones one-yard rushing touchdown.
• In the 2010 meeting at Wallace Wade Stadium in 2010, Virginia’s 48 points were the most scored in a UVA loss and there were 103 combined points between the two teams – at the time it was the second-highest combined total in ACC history.
• Former UVA quarterback Marc Verica set the then school record for passing yards in a game with 417, which was broken last week by Kurt Benkert and his 421 yards against Central Michigan. The 417 passing yards also stood as a school team record for passing yards until UVA broke the record with 480 team passing yards in the 2012 meeting with Louisiana Tech.
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mendenhall Elevates Vic So’oto to Defensive Line Coach
Football | 6/21/2017
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Wednesday (June 21) that Vic So’ot...
Two Graduate Transfers Will Not Enroll at UVA
Football | 6/9/2017
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced that two graduate transfers who...
Kickoff Times Announced for Virginia's First Three Football ...
Football | 5/31/2017
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Former UVA Player/Coach Sonny Randle Passes Away
Football | 5/24/2017
Ulmo “Sonny” Randle, a former Virginia football standout and the 35th head coach in...
Virginia Football Single-Game Tickets On Sale Now
Football | 5/19/2017
Single-game tickets and Value Packages for the 2017 season are on sale now.
Blanding and Kiser Named to Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/15/2017
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2017 ...
Virginia and Liberty Announce Football Series
Football | 05/13/2017
Virginia and Liberty announced today (May 13) the first football series between the two programs....
Notre Dame and Virginia Add Future Football Dates
Football | 05/11/2017
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today (May 11) additional dates the Notre Dame football ...
- Online Stores