Sept. 29, 2012
Louisiana Tech at Virginia
Sept. 29, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
• Virginia’s 480 passing yards was the most in a single game in program history, passing the previous high of 417 at Duke in 2010.
• The Cavaliers had 625 yards of total offense. The last time the Cavaliers had over 600 yards in total offense was when they put up 643 against Duke in 2010, a game that was also a Virginia loss.
• The 73-yard touchdown pass from Michael Rocco to Khalek Shepherd was the longest offensive play of the season for Virginia.
• Virginia held Louisiana Tech to its fewest points in the first quarter of a game this year (10) and fewest points scored in the first half (20).
• Virginia is now 7-for-11 in fourth down attempts this season.
• The Cavaliers in the Red Zone this year: 13-of-16, 11 TD, 2 field goals.
• E.J. Scott’s 43-yard reception was the longest of his career.
• Tim Smith’s 36-yard touchdown reception was his first touchdown of the year.
• Perry Jones’ 36-yard pass to Smith was the second pass of his career and the second touchdown pass of his career. Jones threw a 37-yard TD pass to Smith last year at Miami.
• Jones’ 100 receiving yards is a career high, topping his previous high of 90 against Auburn in 2011.
• With 182 all-purpose yards, Jones passes Marcus Wilson (3,079) for No. 12 all-time at UVa in career all-purpose yards. Jones now has 3,250 career all-purpose yards.
• With 82 rushing yards, Jones passed Antonio Rice (1,726) and Cedric Peerman (1,749) for No. 19 all-time at UVa in rushing yards. Jones now has 1,767 rushing yards.
• Redshirt freshman Sammy MacFarlane made his first career tackle on special teams.
• Paul Freedman scored his second career touchdown and first of the year. It was his first touchdown since 2010 when he scored a TD against Eastern Michigan.
• The 50-yard pass reception by Darius Jennings was his second 50-yard reception this season. He also had a 51-yard touchdown reception against Richmond.
• Khalek Shepherd’s 73-yard reception was the first receiving touchdown of his career and the sixth reception of his career.
• Shepherd ended the game with 202 all-purpose yards, the first time a Virginia player had 200+ all-purpose yards since Dontrelle Inman amassed 239 at Duke in 2010.
• Michael Rocco completed nine of his first 10 passes for 225 yards. He finished the game going 14-for-23 with two touchdowns, three interceptions, and 278 yards passing.
• Rocco’s 73-yard pass to Khalek Shepherd was the second longest pass of Rocco’s career
• Rocco threw for 200+ yards for the 10th time in his career and is now tied for No. 6 all-time at UVa in 200-yard passing games.
• Rocco moved into 10th place on the UVa career passing list with 3,930 yards.
• Phillip Sims threw for a career-high 166 yards. His previous career high was 73 yards in 2011 against Kent State while playing at Alabama. His 47-yard pass to Jennings was his longest pass completion of his career.
• Sims finished the game 10-for-17 with two touchdowns
• Darius Jennings had a career high for receiving yards with 136 on six receptions. His previous high was 85 yards against Richmond.
• Jennings 136 yards and Jones’ 100 were the first 100-yard receiving games of the year for the Cavaliers, becoming the 51st and 52nd different Cavaliers to have at least one 100-yard receiving game in their careers.
• Kevin Parks had 19 carries for 60 yards. He is now just 19 yards shy of becoming the 41st player in UVa history to rush for 1,000 yards.
• Adrian Gamble’s 24-yard reception from Sims was the first career touchdown reception.
Tiffany Plans to Push Pace at UVAMen's Lacrosse6/21/16New men's lacrosse coach Lars Tiffany comes to Virginia from Brown, which went 16-3 and led the nation in scoring this season.'Hoos Focused on Getting Up to SpeedFootball6/17/16Speed training is a major component of the Virginia football team's offseason strength and conditioning program.Hardin Eager To Take On New ChallengeSoftball6/13/16Virginia's new softball coach, Joanna Hardin, posted a 79-34 record, with one NCAA tournament appearance, in two seasons at McNeese State.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: 'Hoos Focused on Getting Up to Speed
Football | 6/17/2016
Speed training is a major component of the Virginia football team's strength and conditioning...
Virginia's Road Game at UConn to Kick Off at 1:30 p.m.
Football | 6/15/2016
he American Conference announced today Virginia’s road game at UConn on Saturday, Sept. 17 ...
Virginia's Game at Oregon to Kick Off at 10:30 p.m. ET
Football | 6/1/2016
The Pac-12 Conference announced today Virginia's road opener at Oregon on Saturday, Sept. 10 will...
Jeff White: Transfers Eager to Help Lift Program
Football | 5/26/2016
Virginia added three FBS transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared...
Virginia to Host Richmond at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 3
Football | 5/19/2016
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Blanding and Kiser Named to Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/18/2016
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2016 ...
Jack Powers Transfers to UVA from Arizona State
Football | 05/17/2016
Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (May 17), former Arizona State offensive...
Matteo Named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
Football | 05/17/2016
Virginia football student-athlete Jackson Matteo has been named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Online Stores