Sept. 29, 2012
Louisiana Tech at Virginia
Sept. 29, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
• Virginia’s 480 passing yards was the most in a single game in program history, passing the previous high of 417 at Duke in 2010.
• The Cavaliers had 625 yards of total offense. The last time the Cavaliers had over 600 yards in total offense was when they put up 643 against Duke in 2010, a game that was also a Virginia loss.
• The 73-yard touchdown pass from Michael Rocco to Khalek Shepherd was the longest offensive play of the season for Virginia.
• Virginia held Louisiana Tech to its fewest points in the first quarter of a game this year (10) and fewest points scored in the first half (20).
• Virginia is now 7-for-11 in fourth down attempts this season.
• The Cavaliers in the Red Zone this year: 13-of-16, 11 TD, 2 field goals.
• E.J. Scott’s 43-yard reception was the longest of his career.
• Tim Smith’s 36-yard touchdown reception was his first touchdown of the year.
• Perry Jones’ 36-yard pass to Smith was the second pass of his career and the second touchdown pass of his career. Jones threw a 37-yard TD pass to Smith last year at Miami.
• Jones’ 100 receiving yards is a career high, topping his previous high of 90 against Auburn in 2011.
• With 182 all-purpose yards, Jones passes Marcus Wilson (3,079) for No. 12 all-time at UVa in career all-purpose yards. Jones now has 3,250 career all-purpose yards.
• With 82 rushing yards, Jones passed Antonio Rice (1,726) and Cedric Peerman (1,749) for No. 19 all-time at UVa in rushing yards. Jones now has 1,767 rushing yards.
• Redshirt freshman Sammy MacFarlane made his first career tackle on special teams.
• Paul Freedman scored his second career touchdown and first of the year. It was his first touchdown since 2010 when he scored a TD against Eastern Michigan.
• The 50-yard pass reception by Darius Jennings was his second 50-yard reception this season. He also had a 51-yard touchdown reception against Richmond.
• Khalek Shepherd’s 73-yard reception was the first receiving touchdown of his career and the sixth reception of his career.
• Shepherd ended the game with 202 all-purpose yards, the first time a Virginia player had 200+ all-purpose yards since Dontrelle Inman amassed 239 at Duke in 2010.
• Michael Rocco completed nine of his first 10 passes for 225 yards. He finished the game going 14-for-23 with two touchdowns, three interceptions, and 278 yards passing.
• Rocco’s 73-yard pass to Khalek Shepherd was the second longest pass of Rocco’s career
• Rocco threw for 200+ yards for the 10th time in his career and is now tied for No. 6 all-time at UVa in 200-yard passing games.
• Rocco moved into 10th place on the UVa career passing list with 3,930 yards.
• Phillip Sims threw for a career-high 166 yards. His previous career high was 73 yards in 2011 against Kent State while playing at Alabama. His 47-yard pass to Jennings was his longest pass completion of his career.
• Sims finished the game 10-for-17 with two touchdowns
• Darius Jennings had a career high for receiving yards with 136 on six receptions. His previous high was 85 yards against Richmond.
• Jennings 136 yards and Jones’ 100 were the first 100-yard receiving games of the year for the Cavaliers, becoming the 51st and 52nd different Cavaliers to have at least one 100-yard receiving game in their careers.
• Kevin Parks had 19 carries for 60 yards. He is now just 19 yards shy of becoming the 41st player in UVa history to rush for 1,000 yards.
• Adrian Gamble’s 24-yard reception from Sims was the first career touchdown reception.
Cavalier Football NotebookFootball7/27/16The start of training camp is approaching for UVA's football team, which opens the season Sept. 3 against Richmond at Scott Stadium.Culture Change Under Way for UVA FootballFootball7/21/16Head coach Bronco Mendenhall, center Jackson Matteo and linebacker Micah Kiser represented Virginia at the ACC Football Kickoff on Thursday.Turner Embraces New Challenge at UVAMen's Lacrosse7/18/16Former UVA men's lacrosse standout Kip Turner is back at his alma mater as an assistant on new head coach Lars Tiffany's staff.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Blanding Named to the Preseason All-ACC Team
Football | 7/27/2016
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding was named to the preseason All-Atlantic Coast Conference team,...
Jeff White: Cavalier Football Notebook
Football | 7/27/2016
The start of training camp is approaching for the Cavaliers, who open the season Sept. 3 against ...
Jeff White: Culture Change Under Way for UVA Football
Football | 7/21/2016
Head coach Bronco Mendenhall, center Jackson Matteo and linebacker Micah Kiser represented...
Zaccheaus Named to the Paul Hornung Award Watch List
Football | 7/15/2016
Virginia wide receiver Olamide Zaccheaus has been named to the 2016 Paul Hornung Award Watch List.
Johns Earns Two Preseason Honors
Football | 7/15/2016
Virginia quarterback Matt Johns has been named to the Wuerffel Trophy Watch List and named an...
Mizzell Named to the Doak Walker Watch List
Football | 7/14/2016
Virginia running back Taquan Mizzell was named to the 2016 preseason Doak Walker Award Watch List...
Mizzell Named to the Bilentnikoff Watch List
Football | 07/13/2016
Virginia tailback Taquan Mizzell has been named to the preseason Biletnikoff Award Watch List,...
Kiser Named to the Butkus Award Preseason Watch List
Football | 07/12/2016
Virginia inside linebacker Micah Kiser has been named to the preseason Butkus Award Watch List.
- Online Stores