Oct. 1, 2012
| Virginia at Duke
|Date/Time||Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 | 3 p.m.|
|Location||Durham, N.C. | Wallace Wade Stadium (33,941)|
|Radio||Virginia Sports Radio Network | Satellite Radio Sirius 134 | XM 92|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | ESPN3 | Cavaliers Live|
|@UVa_Football | @CoachMikeLondon | @VirginiaSports|
|Game Notes||Virginia | Duke | ACC|
|Additional Information||Tickets | Facebook | 2012 Fact Book | Gameday Central
Coach London Weekly Press Conference Transcript
Virginia Returns to ACC Action with Tobacco Road Trip to Duke
• In the midst of a three-game losing streak, Virginia returns to ACC action on Saturday (Oct. 6) when the Cavaliers travel to Durham, N.C., to face the Duke Blue Devils in each team’s second Atlantic Coast Conference contest of the season. The game will be televised on ACC’s Regional Sports Networks (Comcast SportsNet in the Charlottesville area).
Virginia vs. Duke
• The Cavaliers own a 33-30 all-time lead in the Duke series, which dates back to 1890.
• Virginia’s 2011 victory over Duke snapped a three-game winning streak in the series by the Blue Devils.
• Duke has won the last two meetings (2008 and 2010) with UVa that have been played at Wallace Wade Stadium. The 2008 win for Duke snapped an eight-game winning streak for Virginia in the series with Duke.
• At one time Duke had a 12-game advantage in the series, but by winning 22 of the last 29 meetings since 1982 (51-17 DU win), UVa has taken the series lead.
• UVa head coach Mike London is 1-1 all-time at Wallace Wade Stadium - winning as the head coach of Richmond in 2009 and losing with UVa in 2010.
More on Virginia-Duke Series
• Duke is Virginia’s oldest opponent (1890) this season; North Carolina is the second oldest (1892).
• Virginia has played 63 games vs. Duke – fifth most among all UVa opponents (UNC, VT, VMI, MD).
• The teams have played every year since 1963.
• This series, as well as the ones with Georgia Tech and Wake Forest, are the only ACC series of .500 or better for UVa.
Offense Typically Excels vs. Blue Devils
• The Cavaliers have put up some impressive offensive performances against Duke in the recent past, and UVa’s last trip to Wallace Wade Stadium was no exception.
• Virginia has scored at least 30 points in 17 of the last 29 meetings against the Blue Devils and topped 40 points six times.
• In the last 22 games, UVa is outscoring Duke, 679-339 (avg of 30.9-15.4).
• The last meeting at Wallace Wade Stadium in 2010, Virginia’s 48 points were the most scored in a UVa loss and there were 103 combined points between the two teams – at the time it was the second-highest combined total in ACC history.
• UVa quarterback Marc Verica set the school record for passing yards – 417 yards. The 417 passing yards also stood as a school team record for passing yards until UVa broke the record with 480 team passing yards in the most recent contest against Louisiana Tech.
Last Meeting: 2011 (UVa 31, DU 21)
• Virginia finished the game on a 24-7 run, including scoring 10 unanswered points in the final 6:52 of the third quarter to break a 21-21 tie. UVa held Duke scoreless for the final 25:07 of the game, snapping a three-game losing streak to the Blue Devils.
• Michael Rocco threw for 191 yards and two touchdowns, while Kevin Parks rushed 21 times for 78 yards and Perry Jones tallied 74 rushing yards and one touchdown on 15 carries.
• Chase Minnifield broke a 14-14 halftime lead by intercepting Sean Renfree on Duke’s opening drive of the second half, taking the pick 54 yards for a touchdown.
• Steve Greer and Matt Conrath led UVa with nine tackles on the defensive side of the ball.
Cavaliers Roll Into Exam BreakBaseball5/4/16No. 13 Virginia, which is off until May 13, when ACC foe Georgia Tech visits Davenport Field, has won six games in a row.Cavaliers' Margin for Error GoneMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Canady Selected by the Ravens in the 2016 NFL Draft
Football | 4/30/2016
Virginia senior cornerback Maurice Canady (Richmond, Va.) was selected by the Baltimore Ravens...
Jeff White: Spring Football Notebook
Football | 4/27/2016
With practice over until training camp begins in August, Virginia's coaching staff has shifted...
Frye Named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
Football | 4/27/2016
Virginia football player Ian Frye has earned NFF Hampshire Honor Society membership
Jeff White: Mendenhall Philosophy Taking Root at UVA
Football | 4/24/2016
Virginia, in its first year under head coach Bronco Mendenhall, concluded spring practice...
Spring Football Festival Set for April 23 at Scott Stadium
Football | 4/19/2016
The Virginia football team will hold its annual Spring Football Festival on Saturday, April 23 at...
Thornhill Thriving On Bigger Stage
Football | 4/22/2016
Rising sophomore Juan Thornhill, a graduate of tiny Altavista High, has been working with...
Jeff White: Levrone Working to Make Up for Lost Time
Football | 04/14/2016
Redshirt junior Andre Levrone is among the wide receivers who have impressed Virginia head coach ...
Jeff White: Football Alumni Eager for Mendenhall Era
Football | 04/11/2016
About 250 former UVA players returned to Charlottesville over the weekend at the invitation of...
- Online Stores