Oct. 1, 2012
| Virginia at Duke
|Date/Time||Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 | 3 p.m.|
|Location||Durham, N.C. | Wallace Wade Stadium (33,941)|
|Radio||Virginia Sports Radio Network | Satellite Radio Sirius 134 | XM 92|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | ESPN3 | Cavaliers Live|
|@UVa_Football | @CoachMikeLondon | @VirginiaSports|
|Game Notes||Virginia | Duke | ACC|
|Additional Information||Tickets | Facebook | 2012 Fact Book | Gameday Central
Coach London Weekly Press Conference Transcript
Virginia Returns to ACC Action with Tobacco Road Trip to Duke
• In the midst of a three-game losing streak, Virginia returns to ACC action on Saturday (Oct. 6) when the Cavaliers travel to Durham, N.C., to face the Duke Blue Devils in each team’s second Atlantic Coast Conference contest of the season. The game will be televised on ACC’s Regional Sports Networks (Comcast SportsNet in the Charlottesville area).
Virginia vs. Duke
• The Cavaliers own a 33-30 all-time lead in the Duke series, which dates back to 1890.
• Virginia’s 2011 victory over Duke snapped a three-game winning streak in the series by the Blue Devils.
• Duke has won the last two meetings (2008 and 2010) with UVa that have been played at Wallace Wade Stadium. The 2008 win for Duke snapped an eight-game winning streak for Virginia in the series with Duke.
• At one time Duke had a 12-game advantage in the series, but by winning 22 of the last 29 meetings since 1982 (51-17 DU win), UVa has taken the series lead.
• UVa head coach Mike London is 1-1 all-time at Wallace Wade Stadium - winning as the head coach of Richmond in 2009 and losing with UVa in 2010.
More on Virginia-Duke Series
• Duke is Virginia’s oldest opponent (1890) this season; North Carolina is the second oldest (1892).
• Virginia has played 63 games vs. Duke – fifth most among all UVa opponents (UNC, VT, VMI, MD).
• The teams have played every year since 1963.
• This series, as well as the ones with Georgia Tech and Wake Forest, are the only ACC series of .500 or better for UVa.
Offense Typically Excels vs. Blue Devils
• The Cavaliers have put up some impressive offensive performances against Duke in the recent past, and UVa’s last trip to Wallace Wade Stadium was no exception.
• Virginia has scored at least 30 points in 17 of the last 29 meetings against the Blue Devils and topped 40 points six times.
• In the last 22 games, UVa is outscoring Duke, 679-339 (avg of 30.9-15.4).
• The last meeting at Wallace Wade Stadium in 2010, Virginia’s 48 points were the most scored in a UVa loss and there were 103 combined points between the two teams – at the time it was the second-highest combined total in ACC history.
• UVa quarterback Marc Verica set the school record for passing yards – 417 yards. The 417 passing yards also stood as a school team record for passing yards until UVa broke the record with 480 team passing yards in the most recent contest against Louisiana Tech.
Last Meeting: 2011 (UVa 31, DU 21)
• Virginia finished the game on a 24-7 run, including scoring 10 unanswered points in the final 6:52 of the third quarter to break a 21-21 tie. UVa held Duke scoreless for the final 25:07 of the game, snapping a three-game losing streak to the Blue Devils.
• Michael Rocco threw for 191 yards and two touchdowns, while Kevin Parks rushed 21 times for 78 yards and Perry Jones tallied 74 rushing yards and one touchdown on 15 carries.
• Chase Minnifield broke a 14-14 halftime lead by intercepting Sean Renfree on Duke’s opening drive of the second half, taking the pick 54 yards for a touchdown.
• Steve Greer and Matt Conrath led UVa with nine tackles on the defensive side of the ball.
Cook Ready To Make Up For Lost TimeFootball3/27/17After missing last season with a heart condition, UVA outside linebacker Malcolm Cook has been cleared to play again.Offensive Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.Weber Hitting Right Notes on DiamondBaseball3/23/17Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this weekend at Davenport Field.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Cook Ready To Make Up For Lost Time
Football | 3/27/2017
After missing last season with a heart condition, UVA outside linebacker Malcolm Cook has been...
Jeff White: Offensive Line Looking to Raise Its Game
Football | 3/24/2017
Jack McDonald and Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia,...
Atkins Honored by DC Touchdown Club
Football | 3/8/2017
The DC Touchdown Club announced Wednesday (March 8) that current Virginia freshman running back...
UVA Football Season Ticket Sales Start March 8
Football | 3/3/2017
Season tickets for Virginia’s 2017 seven-game home schedule will be on sale for renewals...
2017 UVA Game at Boise State Moved to Friday, Sept. 22
Football | 3/2/2017
ESPN and the Mountain West Conference have announced that the Virginia football game at Boise...
Virginia Adds Two More FBS Transfers to the Fold
Football | 2/21/2017
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall has added two more FBS transfers to the program.
Jeff White: Cavalier Football Notebook
Football | 02/15/2017
Quarterback Kurt Benkert, who began his college career at East Carolina, learned valuable lessons...
Coach's Corner with Bronco Mendenhall Returns Tonight
Football | 03/27/2017
Listen to Coach's Corner Live (Free)
Radio program on the Virginia Sports Network begins at 7:...
- Online Stores