Oct. 1, 2016
Virginia Postgame Notes
Virginia 34, Duke 20
Virginia at UConn
Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016
Wallace Wade Stadium
• UVA is now 35-33 all-time against Duke.
• UVA is now 13-19 all-time against Duke in Durham.
• UVA is now 24-39 all-time in ACC openers.
• UVA snaps a four-game losing streak at Duke. UVA’s last win at Wallace Wade Stadium came in 2006.
• UVA wins its ACC opener for second time in three seasons (2014 vs. Louisville).
• Virginia notched five interceptions against Duke, tying a program record. It was the 10th time in program history UVA made five interceptions and the first since 2010 against Miami.
• UVA forced six turnovers, the most since forcing seven vs. Richmond in 2014
• UVA forced four interceptions in the first half. The last time UVA forced four turnovers in a half was against Richmond in 2014, forcing four in the second half against the Spiders.
• UVA snapped its 17-game road losing streak. Before today, UVA’s last road win came in 2012 at NC State.
• Eleven Cavaliers caught at least one pass against the Blue Devils.
• Collegiate debuts: Sam Hayward (PK)
• CB Juan Thornhill recorded his second career interception with his second pick of the year in the first quarter. He followed up with his second interception of the day to put a stamp on the game in the fourth quarter.
• WR David Eldridge’s 28-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter was his first career touchdown.
• Eldridge pulled down a career-long 84-yard reception in the second quarter that set up UVA’s second touchdown.
• Eldridge finished the game with two catches and 112 receiving yards, a career high. The two receptions matched a career high
• The 84-yard Kurt Benkert’s pass to Eldridge is tied for the 12th-longest pass in school history.
• The pass is second-longest non-scoring pass and reception in program history.
• Benkert is the first UVA quarterback to throw passes of 80 yards or more in consecutive games. He connected on an 82-yard touchdown pass last week vs. Central Michigan.
• Benkert finished with 336 passing yards, the first time a UVA quarterback threw for at least 300 yards in back-to-back games since Michael Rocco in the 2011 Chick-fil-A Bowl and the 2012 season opener against Richmond.
• Only once before has UVA had two passes completed of 80-yards or more in the same season (1983).
• CB Bryce Hall recorded his first career interception in the second quarter.
• Hall made his second interception of the game in the second quarter, becoming the first Cavalier to have a multi-interception game since Anthony Harris against Georgia Tech in 2013.
• FS Quin Blanding made his first interception of the game in the second quarter and the fifth of his career.
• PK Sam Hayward, a former UVA soccer player, scored his first career points after connecting on four PATs.
• Mizzell extended his streak of games with a reception to 38, which was tied for the third-longest active streak in the country entering the day.
• Richard Burney’s three-yard touchdown reception from Benkert in the third quarter was his first career reception and touchdown.
• ILB Micah Kiser recorded a career-high 18 tackles, breaking his previous best of 17 last year against Duke.
• In the last two games against Duke, Kiser has 35 tackles.
1992-93 Cavaliers Step Back Into SpotlightWomen's Basketball1/20/18The 1992-93 Virginia women's basketball team will be honored Sunday at John Paul Jones Arena as part of National Girls and Women in Sports Day.'Hoos Make Themselves at Home in AtlantaMen's Basketball1/19/18No. 2 Virginia, which plays Sunday at Wake Forest, stretched its winning streak to nine games with a victory over Georgia Tech in Atlanta on Thursday night.Tyson Finds Perfect Fit at UVAWomen's Squash1/18/18Annie Tyson, who also starred in lacrosse in high school, is one of the leaders of the UVA women's squash team.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces 2018 Football Schedule
Football | 1/17/2018
The Atlantic Coast Conference has released the 2018 football schedules for its member...
Griswold Named Dir. of FB Development & Performance
Football | 1/9/2018
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (Jan. 9) that Shawn Griswold has...
Jeff White: Brumfield Eager to Get Started at UVA
Football | 1/3/2018
Ricky Brumfield will join head coach Bronco Mendenhall's staff at UVA next week as special teams ...
Ricky Brumfield Named Assistant Football Coach
Football | 12/30/2017
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (Dec. 30) the hiring of Ricky...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Head Into Offseason On Humbling Note
Football | 12/29/2017
In its first postseason appearance in six years, Virginia lost 49-7 to Navy in the Military Bowl ...
UVA Falls in the Military Bowl at Navy, 49-7
Football | 12/28/2017
Joe Reed returned the game's opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. It was the fifth-longest...
Jeff White: New Chapter Awaits 'Hoos in Annapolis
Football | 12/27/2017
A victory Thursday over Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl in Annapolis, Md., would give Virginia (6...
Jeff White: Harrison Proud of Cavaliers' Progress
Football | 12/24/2017
Former UVA standout Chris Harrison is on the board of directors of the Military Bowl, in which...
- Online Stores