Oct. 1, 2016
Virginia Postgame Notes
Virginia 34, Duke 20
Virginia at UConn
Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016
Wallace Wade Stadium
• UVA is now 35-33 all-time against Duke.
• UVA is now 13-19 all-time against Duke in Durham.
• UVA is now 24-39 all-time in ACC openers.
• UVA snaps a four-game losing streak at Duke. UVA’s last win at Wallace Wade Stadium came in 2006.
• UVA wins its ACC opener for second time in three seasons (2014 vs. Louisville).
• Virginia notched five interceptions against Duke, tying a program record. It was the 10th time in program history UVA made five interceptions and the first since 2010 against Miami.
• UVA forced six turnovers, the most since forcing seven vs. Richmond in 2014
• UVA forced four interceptions in the first half. The last time UVA forced four turnovers in a half was against Richmond in 2014, forcing four in the second half against the Spiders.
• UVA snapped its 17-game road losing streak. Before today, UVA’s last road win came in 2012 at NC State.
• Eleven Cavaliers caught at least one pass against the Blue Devils.
• Collegiate debuts: Sam Hayward (PK)
• CB Juan Thornhill recorded his second career interception with his second pick of the year in the first quarter. He followed up with his second interception of the day to put a stamp on the game in the fourth quarter.
• WR David Eldridge’s 28-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter was his first career touchdown.
• Eldridge pulled down a career-long 84-yard reception in the second quarter that set up UVA’s second touchdown.
• Eldridge finished the game with two catches and 112 receiving yards, a career high. The two receptions matched a career high
• The 84-yard Kurt Benkert’s pass to Eldridge is tied for the 12th-longest pass in school history.
• The pass is second-longest non-scoring pass and reception in program history.
• Benkert is the first UVA quarterback to throw passes of 80 yards or more in consecutive games. He connected on an 82-yard touchdown pass last week vs. Central Michigan.
• Benkert finished with 336 passing yards, the first time a UVA quarterback threw for at least 300 yards in back-to-back games since Michael Rocco in the 2011 Chick-fil-A Bowl and the 2012 season opener against Richmond.
• Only once before has UVA had two passes completed of 80-yards or more in the same season (1983).
• CB Bryce Hall recorded his first career interception in the second quarter.
• Hall made his second interception of the game in the second quarter, becoming the first Cavalier to have a multi-interception game since Anthony Harris against Georgia Tech in 2013.
• FS Quin Blanding made his first interception of the game in the second quarter and the fifth of his career.
• PK Sam Hayward, a former UVA soccer player, scored his first career points after connecting on four PATs.
• Mizzell extended his streak of games with a reception to 38, which was tied for the third-longest active streak in the country entering the day.
• Richard Burney’s three-yard touchdown reception from Benkert in the third quarter was his first career reception and touchdown.
• ILB Micah Kiser recorded a career-high 18 tackles, breaking his previous best of 17 last year against Duke.
• In the last two games against Duke, Kiser has 35 tackles.
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: UVA Pioneer Ready for Next Chapter
Football | 5/21/2018
Kent Merritt, who's retiring from his position in the history department, was among the players...
Kickoff Times Announced for Three Virginia Home Games
Football | 5/18/2018
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Jeff White: Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall, Williams
Football | 5/17/2018
Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with ...
Virginia Football Single-Game Tickets on Sale
Football | 5/17/2018
Single-game tickets for all seven home games of the 2018 Virginia Football season go on sale...
Playing Careers End for Kirven and Trucilla
Football | 5/11/2018
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today defensive linemen John Kirven (Ral...
Vittese and Kiser Claim UVA Top Honors
Football | 5/2/2018
Tara Vittese (field hockey) and Micah Kiser (football) were honored as Virginia’s top male ...
Jeff White: Wrapping Up Spring Football
Football | 05/01/2018
There's no denying his potential, but wideout Hasise Dubois has much room to improve, his coaches...
DL Dylan Thompson Transfers to Virginia from Ohio State
Football | 04/30/2018
Ohio State defensive lineman Dylan Thompson (Addison, Ill.) has announced he will transfer to...
- Online Stores