Oct. 13, 2012
Maryland at Virginia
Oct. 13, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
• Virginia is now 45-41-2 on Homecomings.
• Virginia held Maryland to negative two yards rushing, marking the first time the Cavaliers held an opponent to negative rushing yards since the 2006 meeting with Duke. It was the first time Maryland failed to have positive yards rushing since going for negative nine yards against NC State in 2010.
• UVa’s rushing total of 168 is the most allowed by Maryland this season. Terps entered the game ranked No. 7 in the NCAA at 81.00 yards allowed per game.
• Maryland became the first team to return a kickoff for a touchdown against Virginia since Southern Miss in 2009.
• UVa scored 10 points in the third quarter against Maryland, its first points in the third quarter of a game since a TD drive against Penn State on Sept. 8.
• Phillip Sims’ TD toss to E.J. Scott in the third quarter was UVa’s first touchdown after being stifled from the endzone over the previous five quarters.
• Kevin Parks started for the first time in his career. Both he and fellow tailback Perry Jones lined up in the offensive backfield for UVa on its first play.
• Parks’ 26-yard rush in 2nd quarter was the longest run against Maryland’s defense this season.
• Parks finished with a career high 129 rushing yards. His previous best was 114 rushing yards vs. William & Mary in his collegiate debut in 2011.
• Zach Swanson’s 36-yard reception at the end of the first quarter was the longest reception in his career.
• Drew Jarrett’s second quarter field goal attempt was his third consecutive miss and his fourth in his last five attempts.
• Ian Frye attempted and converted his first field goal and extra point of his career during today’s game.
• Phillip Sims’ 14-yard run in the second quarter was the longest in his career.
• With 79 passing yards, Michael Rocco became the ninth player in UVa history to reach 4,000 career-passing yards.
• Rocco also passed Dan Ellis (3,974) for No. 9 all-time at UVa in career passing and currently has 4,016career passing yards.
• With seven tackles, Steve Greer ties P.J. Killian (316) for No. 11 all time at UVa in career tackles.
• Eli Harold finished the game with 1.5 sacks, his first quarterback sacks of his career.
• Chris Brathwaite finished the game with 0.5 sacks, the first of his career.
• La’Roy Reynolds tied his career high with 12 tackles. Reynolds set his mark against Southern Miss in2011.
• Since missing two games with a hand injury, Reynolds has 23 tackles over the past two games.
Cavalier Football Notebook: Duke WeekFootball9/29/16Sophomore Olamide Zaccheaus is the leading receiver for Virginia, which opens ACC play Saturday afternoon against Duke in Durham, N.C.Conte's Impact Continues to GrowFootball9/28/16In his second year as a Virginia starter, graduate student Nicholas Conte (44.2-yard average) ranks among the nation's top punters.Spirit of '76 Unites Basketball FamilyMen's Basketball9/27/16At the Virginia men's basketball reunion, the spotlight was on the 1975-76 team and the legacy of former head coach Terry Holland.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White -- Cavalier Football Notebook: Duke Week
Football | 9/29/2016
Sophomore Olamide Zaccheaus is the leading receiver for Virginia, which opens ACC play Saturday...
UVA Opens ACC Play at Duke on Saturday
Football | 9/26/2016
Virginia enters ACC play on Saturday when the Cavaliers head to Durham, N.C., to face the Duke...
Jeff White: Conte's Impact Continues to Grow
Football | 9/28/2016
In his second year as a Virginia starter, graduate student Nicholas Conte (44.2-yard average)...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Savor Long-Awaited Breakthrough
Football | 9/25/2016
The 'Hoos picked up their first victory of the season -- also their first under head coach Bronco...
UVA Holds Off Central Michigan, 49-35
Football | 9/24/2016
Kurt Benkert threw five touchdown passes, the last two after Virginia had squandered all of a 28-...
How the Tempo Run Brought Mark Hall a Whole New Confidence
Football | 9/24/2016
Spring is a time of new beginnings. Last spring was exactly that for Virginia defensive lineman...
Johnson is Grounded Thanks to "Ten Toes Down"
Football | 09/24/2016
If Virginia wide receiver Keeon Johnson opens his own business one day, it would likely be called...
Coach's Corner with Bronco Mendenhall Returns Tonight
Football | 09/27/2016
The weekly "Coach's Corner with Bronco Mendenhall" radio program, presented by Virginia Farm...
- Online Stores