Oct. 13, 2012
Maryland at Virginia
Oct. 13, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
• Virginia is now 45-41-2 on Homecomings.
• Virginia held Maryland to negative two yards rushing, marking the first time the Cavaliers held an opponent to negative rushing yards since the 2006 meeting with Duke. It was the first time Maryland failed to have positive yards rushing since going for negative nine yards against NC State in 2010.
• UVa’s rushing total of 168 is the most allowed by Maryland this season. Terps entered the game ranked No. 7 in the NCAA at 81.00 yards allowed per game.
• Maryland became the first team to return a kickoff for a touchdown against Virginia since Southern Miss in 2009.
• UVa scored 10 points in the third quarter against Maryland, its first points in the third quarter of a game since a TD drive against Penn State on Sept. 8.
• Phillip Sims’ TD toss to E.J. Scott in the third quarter was UVa’s first touchdown after being stifled from the endzone over the previous five quarters.
• Kevin Parks started for the first time in his career. Both he and fellow tailback Perry Jones lined up in the offensive backfield for UVa on its first play.
• Parks’ 26-yard rush in 2nd quarter was the longest run against Maryland’s defense this season.
• Parks finished with a career high 129 rushing yards. His previous best was 114 rushing yards vs. William & Mary in his collegiate debut in 2011.
• Zach Swanson’s 36-yard reception at the end of the first quarter was the longest reception in his career.
• Drew Jarrett’s second quarter field goal attempt was his third consecutive miss and his fourth in his last five attempts.
• Ian Frye attempted and converted his first field goal and extra point of his career during today’s game.
• Phillip Sims’ 14-yard run in the second quarter was the longest in his career.
• With 79 passing yards, Michael Rocco became the ninth player in UVa history to reach 4,000 career-passing yards.
• Rocco also passed Dan Ellis (3,974) for No. 9 all-time at UVa in career passing and currently has 4,016career passing yards.
• With seven tackles, Steve Greer ties P.J. Killian (316) for No. 11 all time at UVa in career tackles.
• Eli Harold finished the game with 1.5 sacks, his first quarterback sacks of his career.
• Chris Brathwaite finished the game with 0.5 sacks, the first of his career.
• La’Roy Reynolds tied his career high with 12 tackles. Reynolds set his mark against Southern Miss in2011.
• Since missing two games with a hand injury, Reynolds has 23 tackles over the past two games.
Cavaliers Roll Into Exam BreakBaseball5/4/16No. 13 Virginia, which is off until May 13, when ACC foe Georgia Tech visits Davenport Field, has won six games in a row.Cavaliers' Margin for Error GoneMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Canady Selected by the Ravens in the 2016 NFL Draft
Football | 4/30/2016
Virginia senior cornerback Maurice Canady (Richmond, Va.) was selected by the Baltimore Ravens...
Jeff White: Spring Football Notebook
Football | 4/27/2016
With practice over until training camp begins in August, Virginia's coaching staff has shifted...
Frye Named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
Football | 4/27/2016
Virginia football player Ian Frye has earned NFF Hampshire Honor Society membership
Jeff White: Mendenhall Philosophy Taking Root at UVA
Football | 4/24/2016
Virginia, in its first year under head coach Bronco Mendenhall, concluded spring practice...
Spring Football Festival Set for April 23 at Scott Stadium
Football | 4/19/2016
The Virginia football team will hold its annual Spring Football Festival on Saturday, April 23 at...
Thornhill Thriving On Bigger Stage
Football | 4/22/2016
Rising sophomore Juan Thornhill, a graduate of tiny Altavista High, has been working with...
Jeff White: Levrone Working to Make Up for Lost Time
Football | 04/14/2016
Redshirt junior Andre Levrone is among the wide receivers who have impressed Virginia head coach ...
Jeff White: Football Alumni Eager for Mendenhall Era
Football | 04/11/2016
About 250 former UVA players returned to Charlottesville over the weekend at the invitation of...
- Online Stores