Oct. 13, 2012
Maryland at Virginia
Oct. 13, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
• Virginia is now 45-41-2 on Homecomings.
• Virginia held Maryland to negative two yards rushing, marking the first time the Cavaliers held an opponent to negative rushing yards since the 2006 meeting with Duke. It was the first time Maryland failed to have positive yards rushing since going for negative nine yards against NC State in 2010.
• UVa’s rushing total of 168 is the most allowed by Maryland this season. Terps entered the game ranked No. 7 in the NCAA at 81.00 yards allowed per game.
• Maryland became the first team to return a kickoff for a touchdown against Virginia since Southern Miss in 2009.
• UVa scored 10 points in the third quarter against Maryland, its first points in the third quarter of a game since a TD drive against Penn State on Sept. 8.
• Phillip Sims’ TD toss to E.J. Scott in the third quarter was UVa’s first touchdown after being stifled from the endzone over the previous five quarters.
• Kevin Parks started for the first time in his career. Both he and fellow tailback Perry Jones lined up in the offensive backfield for UVa on its first play.
• Parks’ 26-yard rush in 2nd quarter was the longest run against Maryland’s defense this season.
• Parks finished with a career high 129 rushing yards. His previous best was 114 rushing yards vs. William & Mary in his collegiate debut in 2011.
• Zach Swanson’s 36-yard reception at the end of the first quarter was the longest reception in his career.
• Drew Jarrett’s second quarter field goal attempt was his third consecutive miss and his fourth in his last five attempts.
• Ian Frye attempted and converted his first field goal and extra point of his career during today’s game.
• Phillip Sims’ 14-yard run in the second quarter was the longest in his career.
• With 79 passing yards, Michael Rocco became the ninth player in UVa history to reach 4,000 career-passing yards.
• Rocco also passed Dan Ellis (3,974) for No. 9 all-time at UVa in career passing and currently has 4,016career passing yards.
• With seven tackles, Steve Greer ties P.J. Killian (316) for No. 11 all time at UVa in career tackles.
• Eli Harold finished the game with 1.5 sacks, his first quarterback sacks of his career.
• Chris Brathwaite finished the game with 0.5 sacks, the first of his career.
• La’Roy Reynolds tied his career high with 12 tackles. Reynolds set his mark against Southern Miss in2011.
• Since missing two games with a hand injury, Reynolds has 23 tackles over the past two games.
Summer Buildup Begins in EarnestMen's Basketball6/28/16The Virginia men's basketball team, which will travel to Spain in August, held its first practice of the summer Tuesday at JPJ.O'Leary Takes Unusual Path to OlympicsWomen's Rowing6/27/16Meghan O'Leary, who played softball and volleyball at UVA, will represent the United States in rowing at the Olympics this summer.Tiffany Plans to Push Pace at UVAMen's Lacrosse6/21/16New men's lacrosse coach Lars Tiffany comes to Virginia from Brown, which went 16-3 and led the nation in scoring this season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: 'Hoos Focused on Getting Up to Speed
Football | 6/17/2016
Speed training is a major component of the Virginia football team's strength and conditioning...
Virginia's Road Game at UConn to Kick Off at 1:30 p.m.
Football | 6/15/2016
he American Conference announced today Virginia’s road game at UConn on Saturday, Sept. 17 ...
Virginia's Game at Oregon to Kick Off at 10:30 p.m. ET
Football | 6/1/2016
The Pac-12 Conference announced today Virginia's road opener at Oregon on Saturday, Sept. 10 will...
Jeff White: Transfers Eager to Help Lift Program
Football | 5/26/2016
Virginia added three FBS transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared...
Virginia to Host Richmond at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 3
Football | 5/19/2016
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Blanding and Kiser Named to Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/18/2016
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2016 ...
Jack Powers Transfers to UVA from Arizona State
Football | 05/17/2016
Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (May 17), former Arizona State offensive...
Matteo Named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
Football | 05/17/2016
Virginia football student-athlete Jackson Matteo has been named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Online Stores