Oct. 20, 2012
Wake Forest Notes
With the win
• Wake Forest improves to 4-3 overall and 2-3 in the ACC
• Wake Forest has won at Scott Stadium for just the second time in the last 13 meetings
• Wake Forest has snapped a two-game losing streak
• Jim Grobe’s record improves to 72-70 at Wake Forest and 105-103-1 overall
• Virginia leads the all-time series 34-14
• Wake Forest’s record all-time in Scott Stadium improves to 9-16
• Grobe evens his record against his alma mater at 3-3
• Deacons improve to 51-17 under Grobe when leading at the half.
Jackson Does It Again
• One week after recorded his longest punt return, a 31-yard return against Maryland, Jackson took the fi rst punt of the day back 60
yards, setting up the Deacons fi rst touchdown.
• Jackson was also the Deacons’ leading receiver with a career-high tying three catches for a season-high 37 yards.
Hedlund Off On The Right Foot
• Redshirt-freshman Chad Hedlund attempted and made his first-career field at the end of the fi rst half, giving the Deacons a 10-7
• The kick was 22 yards.
• He then knocked home his second fi eld goal with a 44-yarder on the opening drive of the second half.
• Hedlund made a third fi eld goal, a 24-yarder, with 4:15 to play in the third.
• That is the fi rst three fi eld goal game for the Deacons since Jimmy Newman made three fi elds in the 2011 season opener at Syracuse.
Johnson With Another
• Cornerback Kevin Johnson recorded his second interception in as many games.
• That was also his second-career interception.
• Johnson notched his fi rst fumble recovery in the game as well, falling on a fumble in the third quarter.
• Johnson fi nished the game with four tackles, an interception, a pass breakup and a fumble recovery.
Price On The Receiving End
• Quarterback Tanner Price caught his second-career pass, gaining six yards on the play.
• He also caught one pass during the 2009 season for a gain of nine yards.
• Price had a solid game running the ball as well, fi nishing with a season-high 24 yards on 12 carries.
• For the second-straight game, the Wake Forest defense held its opponent under 60 yards rushing.
• The Deacons allowed just 48 yards on 32 carries to the Cavaliers.
• That came after allowing just 53 yards to Maryland on Oct. 6.
Big Play Harris
• Freshman Tylor Harris came off the bench in the fourth quarter after starting nose guard Nikita Whitlock’s helmet came off on the
• All Harris did was make a huge 11-yard sack on 3rd and 12, forcing Virginia to punt.
• That was Harris’ fi rst career sack.
Kinal With A Good Day
• Freshman punter Alexander Kinal punted 10 times on the day for a season-best average of 44.5 yards.
• He also downed three punts inside the 20 yardline, giving him 18 for the season.
• Since 2001, the most punts downed inside the 20 in a season is 21 by Sam Swank in 2007.
Non-QB Passing Under Grobe
• Running back Deande Martin was 1-of-2 passing on the day out of the wildcat format.
• His pass completion went for six yards to quarterback Tanner Price.
• Under Grobe, the Deacons are now 24-of-35 passing for 700 yards, eight touchdowns and just one interception.
• Wake Forest captains were Terence Davis and Hasan Hazime.
• Wake Forest won the toss and deferred to the second half.
• Defensive end Zach Thompson had two tackles for loss for the second-straight game.
• Sophomore Chuck Schlegel made two special teams tackles, the fi rst two tackles of his career.
Margin of Error Gone for CavaliersMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.Cavaliers Push On With Heavy HeartsBaseball4/25/16No. 21 Virginia, coming off an emotionally draining weekend in Coral Gables, Fla., meets ODU at noon Tuesday in Norfolk at Harbor Park.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Canady Selected by the Ravens in the 2016 NFL Draft
Football | 4/30/2016
Virginia senior cornerback Maurice Canady (Richmond, Va.) was selected by the Baltimore Ravens...
Jeff White: Spring Football Notebook
Football | 4/27/2016
With practice over until training camp begins in August, Virginia's coaching staff has shifted...
Frye Named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
Football | 4/27/2016
Virginia football player Ian Frye has earned NFF Hampshire Honor Society membership
Jeff White: Mendenhall Philosophy Taking Root at UVA
Football | 4/24/2016
Virginia, in its first year under head coach Bronco Mendenhall, concluded spring practice...
Spring Football Festival Set for April 23 at Scott Stadium
Football | 4/19/2016
The Virginia football team will hold its annual Spring Football Festival on Saturday, April 23 at...
Thornhill Thriving On Bigger Stage
Football | 4/22/2016
Rising sophomore Juan Thornhill, a graduate of tiny Altavista High, has been working with...
Jeff White: Levrone Working to Make Up for Lost Time
Football | 04/14/2016
Redshirt junior Andre Levrone is among the wide receivers who have impressed Virginia head coach ...
Jeff White: Football Alumni Eager for Mendenhall Era
Football | 04/11/2016
About 250 former UVA players returned to Charlottesville over the weekend at the invitation of...
- Online Stores