Oct. 20, 2012
Wake Forest Notes
With the win
• Wake Forest improves to 4-3 overall and 2-3 in the ACC
• Wake Forest has won at Scott Stadium for just the second time in the last 13 meetings
• Wake Forest has snapped a two-game losing streak
• Jim Grobe’s record improves to 72-70 at Wake Forest and 105-103-1 overall
• Virginia leads the all-time series 34-14
• Wake Forest’s record all-time in Scott Stadium improves to 9-16
• Grobe evens his record against his alma mater at 3-3
• Deacons improve to 51-17 under Grobe when leading at the half.
Jackson Does It Again
• One week after recorded his longest punt return, a 31-yard return against Maryland, Jackson took the fi rst punt of the day back 60
yards, setting up the Deacons fi rst touchdown.
• Jackson was also the Deacons’ leading receiver with a career-high tying three catches for a season-high 37 yards.
Hedlund Off On The Right Foot
• Redshirt-freshman Chad Hedlund attempted and made his first-career field at the end of the fi rst half, giving the Deacons a 10-7
• The kick was 22 yards.
• He then knocked home his second fi eld goal with a 44-yarder on the opening drive of the second half.
• Hedlund made a third fi eld goal, a 24-yarder, with 4:15 to play in the third.
• That is the fi rst three fi eld goal game for the Deacons since Jimmy Newman made three fi elds in the 2011 season opener at Syracuse.
Johnson With Another
• Cornerback Kevin Johnson recorded his second interception in as many games.
• That was also his second-career interception.
• Johnson notched his fi rst fumble recovery in the game as well, falling on a fumble in the third quarter.
• Johnson fi nished the game with four tackles, an interception, a pass breakup and a fumble recovery.
Price On The Receiving End
• Quarterback Tanner Price caught his second-career pass, gaining six yards on the play.
• He also caught one pass during the 2009 season for a gain of nine yards.
• Price had a solid game running the ball as well, fi nishing with a season-high 24 yards on 12 carries.
• For the second-straight game, the Wake Forest defense held its opponent under 60 yards rushing.
• The Deacons allowed just 48 yards on 32 carries to the Cavaliers.
• That came after allowing just 53 yards to Maryland on Oct. 6.
Big Play Harris
• Freshman Tylor Harris came off the bench in the fourth quarter after starting nose guard Nikita Whitlock’s helmet came off on the
• All Harris did was make a huge 11-yard sack on 3rd and 12, forcing Virginia to punt.
• That was Harris’ fi rst career sack.
Kinal With A Good Day
• Freshman punter Alexander Kinal punted 10 times on the day for a season-best average of 44.5 yards.
• He also downed three punts inside the 20 yardline, giving him 18 for the season.
• Since 2001, the most punts downed inside the 20 in a season is 21 by Sam Swank in 2007.
Non-QB Passing Under Grobe
• Running back Deande Martin was 1-of-2 passing on the day out of the wildcat format.
• His pass completion went for six yards to quarterback Tanner Price.
• Under Grobe, the Deacons are now 24-of-35 passing for 700 yards, eight touchdowns and just one interception.
• Wake Forest captains were Terence Davis and Hasan Hazime.
• Wake Forest won the toss and deferred to the second half.
• Defensive end Zach Thompson had two tackles for loss for the second-straight game.
• Sophomore Chuck Schlegel made two special teams tackles, the fi rst two tackles of his career.
Taylor Back in Familiar SurroundingsWomen's Basketball7/1/16Five years after leaving UVA, Tim Taylor has returned this summer. He's one of the two new assistants on head coach Joanne Boyle's staff.Summer Buildup Begins in EarnestMen's Basketball6/28/16The Virginia men's basketball team, which will travel to Spain in August, held its first practice of the summer Tuesday at JPJ.O'Leary Takes Unusual Path to OlympicsWomen's Rowing6/27/16Meghan O'Leary, who played softball and volleyball at UVA, will represent the United States in rowing at the Olympics this summer.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: 'Hoos Focused on Getting Up to Speed
Football | 6/17/2016
Speed training is a major component of the Virginia football team's strength and conditioning...
Virginia's Road Game at UConn to Kick Off at 1:30 p.m.
Football | 6/15/2016
he American Conference announced today Virginia’s road game at UConn on Saturday, Sept. 17 ...
Virginia's Game at Oregon to Kick Off at 10:30 p.m. ET
Football | 6/1/2016
The Pac-12 Conference announced today Virginia's road opener at Oregon on Saturday, Sept. 10 will...
Jeff White: Transfers Eager to Help Lift Program
Football | 5/26/2016
Virginia added three FBS transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared...
Virginia to Host Richmond at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 3
Football | 5/19/2016
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Blanding and Kiser Named to Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/18/2016
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2016 ...
Jack Powers Transfers to UVA from Arizona State
Football | 05/17/2016
Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (May 17), former Arizona State offensive...
Matteo Named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
Football | 05/17/2016
Virginia football student-athlete Jackson Matteo has been named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Online Stores