Oct. 20, 2012
Wake Forest Notes
With the win
• Wake Forest improves to 4-3 overall and 2-3 in the ACC
• Wake Forest has won at Scott Stadium for just the second time in the last 13 meetings
• Wake Forest has snapped a two-game losing streak
• Jim Grobe’s record improves to 72-70 at Wake Forest and 105-103-1 overall
• Virginia leads the all-time series 34-14
• Wake Forest’s record all-time in Scott Stadium improves to 9-16
• Grobe evens his record against his alma mater at 3-3
• Deacons improve to 51-17 under Grobe when leading at the half.
Jackson Does It Again
• One week after recorded his longest punt return, a 31-yard return against Maryland, Jackson took the fi rst punt of the day back 60
yards, setting up the Deacons fi rst touchdown.
• Jackson was also the Deacons’ leading receiver with a career-high tying three catches for a season-high 37 yards.
Hedlund Off On The Right Foot
• Redshirt-freshman Chad Hedlund attempted and made his first-career field at the end of the fi rst half, giving the Deacons a 10-7
• The kick was 22 yards.
• He then knocked home his second fi eld goal with a 44-yarder on the opening drive of the second half.
• Hedlund made a third fi eld goal, a 24-yarder, with 4:15 to play in the third.
• That is the fi rst three fi eld goal game for the Deacons since Jimmy Newman made three fi elds in the 2011 season opener at Syracuse.
Johnson With Another
• Cornerback Kevin Johnson recorded his second interception in as many games.
• That was also his second-career interception.
• Johnson notched his fi rst fumble recovery in the game as well, falling on a fumble in the third quarter.
• Johnson fi nished the game with four tackles, an interception, a pass breakup and a fumble recovery.
Price On The Receiving End
• Quarterback Tanner Price caught his second-career pass, gaining six yards on the play.
• He also caught one pass during the 2009 season for a gain of nine yards.
• Price had a solid game running the ball as well, fi nishing with a season-high 24 yards on 12 carries.
• For the second-straight game, the Wake Forest defense held its opponent under 60 yards rushing.
• The Deacons allowed just 48 yards on 32 carries to the Cavaliers.
• That came after allowing just 53 yards to Maryland on Oct. 6.
Big Play Harris
• Freshman Tylor Harris came off the bench in the fourth quarter after starting nose guard Nikita Whitlock’s helmet came off on the
• All Harris did was make a huge 11-yard sack on 3rd and 12, forcing Virginia to punt.
• That was Harris’ fi rst career sack.
Kinal With A Good Day
• Freshman punter Alexander Kinal punted 10 times on the day for a season-best average of 44.5 yards.
• He also downed three punts inside the 20 yardline, giving him 18 for the season.
• Since 2001, the most punts downed inside the 20 in a season is 21 by Sam Swank in 2007.
Non-QB Passing Under Grobe
• Running back Deande Martin was 1-of-2 passing on the day out of the wildcat format.
• His pass completion went for six yards to quarterback Tanner Price.
• Under Grobe, the Deacons are now 24-of-35 passing for 700 yards, eight touchdowns and just one interception.
• Wake Forest captains were Terence Davis and Hasan Hazime.
• Wake Forest won the toss and deferred to the second half.
• Defensive end Zach Thompson had two tackles for loss for the second-straight game.
• Sophomore Chuck Schlegel made two special teams tackles, the fi rst two tackles of his career.
'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.Home-Court Advantage Proves Pivotal AgainMen's Basketball12/1/16No. 6 Virginia, which hosts No. 25 West Virginia on Saturday afternoon, has won 24 straight games at John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Football Honored by AFCA For Graduation Rate
Football | 12/5/2016
The Virginia football team was one of 75 institutions recognized this week by the American...
Kiser Named a CoSIDA Football Academic All-American
Football | 12/1/2016
Virginia inside linebacker Micah Kiser has been named to the 2016 College Sports Information...
Blanding, Conte and Kiser Highlight All-ACC Honorees
Football | 11/28/2016
Free safety Quin Blanding, punter Nicholas Conte and inside linebacker Micah Kiser highlight...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Head Into Offseason on Humbling Note
Football | 11/27/2016
UVA finished its first season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall with a 2-10 record after losing ...
Virginia Drops Season Finale to Virginia Tech, 52-10
Football | 11/26/2016
Sam Rogers ran for a career-best 105 yards and two touchdowns and Virginia Tech tuned up for...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Look to End Drought Saturday
Football | 11/25/2016
At noon Saturday, Virginia (2-9, 1-6) closes the season against ACC rival Virginia Tech (8-3, 5-2...
UVA Concludes Season at Virginia Tech on Saturday
Football | 11/21/2016
Virginia and Virginia Tech will play a nationally-televised game on Saturday afternoon on ESPN2.
Jeff White: Rivalry Week Brings Opportunity
Football | 11/22/2016
At noon Saturday, in an ACC game ESPN2 will televise, Virginia (2-9, 1-6) closes the season...
- Online Stores