Game 8 • Oct. 31 • 3:30 p.m.
David A. Harrison Field at Scott Stadium
Playing Surface: Grass
Series vs. Duke: UVa leads, 32-28
at Charlottesville: UVa leads, 17-10
P-b-P: Frank Giardina
Analyst: Danny Kanell
Radio: Virginia Sports Network
P-b-P: Dave Koehn
Analyst: Frank Quayle
Sidelines: Chris Slade
Satellite Radio: XM Radio 193, Sirius 214
Live Stats: Click here for the link to the LiveStats page. Note: Link available 30 minutes before kickoff. Allow 1-2 minutes for it to load at the start.
Rosters: Virginia Duke
Game Notes: Virginia Duke
Statistics: Virginia Duke
Five Things You Need to Know
• Virginia will play the 1,200th game in program history on Saturday (most in ACC history).
• Virginia has won 12 of its last 13 meetings with Duke in Scott Stadium.
• UVa ranks fifth nationally in passing defense (151.29) and seventh in pass efficiency defense (95.6) - Duke ranks first in the ACC in passing offense (322.57).
• The Cavaliers have not surrendered a passing touchdown in the last four games and have given up the second-fewest passing TDs nationally (three).
• Vic Hall leads the Cavaliers in receptions the last three games (twice as many as any other UVa receiver).
1,200th Game on Tap Saturday
• Virginia will play the 1,200th game in program history on Saturday; this is the 120th season of UVa football.
• During that time, Virginia has compiled a 616-535-48 record, a winning percentage of .534.
• UVa has played more football games than any other ACC school.
• North Carolina ranks next among ACC schools with 1,184 games played in 119 seasons.
• UVa is ranked sixth among all NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision teams in games played and 12th overall among all teams.
• Penn (1,299) has played the most games overall.
• The Cavaliers own a 32-28 all-time lead in the Duke series, which dates to 1890.
• Virginia had its eight-game winning streak vs. Duke snapped last year; it was UVa's longest winning streak ever against the Blue Devils.
• At one time Duke had a 12-game advantage in the series, but by winning 21 of the last 26 meetings since 1982, UVa has taken the series lead.
More on Duke-Virginia Series
• Duke is Virginia's oldest opponent (1890) this season; North Carolina is the second oldest (1892).
• Virginia has played 60 games vs. Duke - fifth most among all UVa opponents (UNC, VT, VMI, MD).
• The teams have played every year since 1963.
• This series, as well as the ones with Georgia Tech and Wake Forest, are the only ACC series of .500 or better for UVa.
• Duke's last win in Charlottesville came in 1999 (24-17 in OT); it marks the Blue Devils' lone win in Charlottesville in its last 13 trips.
Strength vs. Strength Through Air
• The Duke-UVa game features an intriguing matchup as the ACC's top passing offense faces the league's top passing defense.
• UVa ranks first in the ACC and fifth nationally in passing defense, allowing just 151.29 yards per game.
• Duke leads the ACC in passing offense with 322.57 yards per game.
• The most passing yards UVa has given up this year is 190 against Indiana.
Offense Excels vs. Blue Devils
• The Cavaliers have put on some impressive offensive performances against Duke in the recent past.
• Virginia has scored at least 30 points in 15 of the last 26 meetings against the Blue Devils and topped 40 points five times.
• The Cavaliers have outscored Duke 583-235 in the last 19 games.
• Since 1983, Virginia is averaging 30.6 points and 416.3 yards of total offense per game.
• Virginia has outgained Duke on the ground in 19 of the last 20 meetings, including 110-84 last year.
Containing the Duke Rushing Attack
• Virginia has done an outstanding job of stopping Duke's rushing attack since 1990.
• The Blue Devils have rushed for more than 105 yards just six times since 1990.
• In the last 24 games Duke has rushed for 100+ yards only 11 times.
• Since 1990 Duke has averaged 90.7 rushing yards per game and 2.6 yards per carry against UVa.
• Duke has had just four carries of more than 20 yards and 19 of more than 13 in the last 19 games.
• Duke has not rushed for more than 200 yards against Virginia since 1983 when the Blue Devils gained 238 yards in a 38-30 UVa win.
• Virginia has out-rushed Duke in 27 of the last 30 meetings, including each time from 1983-1999. (Duke had the ground advantage in 1982, 2000 and ‘02).
Not Much Through Air Either
• The Blue Devils have had a rough time through the air recently against UVa.
• They have passed for 2,189 yards in the last 13 games (average of 168.4 ypg).
• Duke has thrown 20 interceptions and just nine touchdowns in that span.
• Virginia is 5-8 all-time when playing on Halloween, but will play host to just its fourth game ever on Halloween this week.
• UVa last played on Halloween in 1998, a 38-17 win at Wake Forest.
• UVa has not played at home on Oct. 31 since 1992, a 13-3 loss to No. 6 Florida State; UVa is 2-1 at home on Halloween.
Virginia Becomes Fifth ACC Team to Rebound from 0-3
• The 2009 UVa team is just the fifth in ACC history to start the year 0-3 then rebound to win its next three games.
• On 59 occasions (including this year), teams have started 0-3 (478 teams total).
• Two of the previous 58 (both UNC) managed to play in a bowl game that season.
• The 2001 UNC squad started 0-3, but finished 8-5 with a victory in the Peach Bowl. The 1998 Tar Heel team finished 7-5, including a win in the Las Vegas Bowl.
• The other two teams to start 0-3 before going 3-3 were Georgia Tech in 1989 (7-4) and Wake Forest in 1970 (6-5).
0-3 ACC Teams Who Won Next Three
School Year Final Record
Virginia 2009 ??
North Carolina 2001 8-5*
North Carolina 1998 7-5*
Georgia Tech 1989 7-4
Wake Forest 1970 6-5
*reached bowl game
Cavaliers Reverse Turnover Woes
• After being minus-6 in turnover margin the first two games, UVa is plus-9 the last five games, including plus-8 in the last four.
• Virginia has turned the ball over twice in its last four games.
• UVa ranks third in the ACC in turnover margin despite its rough start the first two games.
Cavaliers Start Games Strong
• Virginia has been particularly strong on defense early in games this year, giving up just 10 points in the first quarter.
• UVa has not allowed an opponent to score a touchdown in the first quarter since William & Mary reached the end zone in the opener.
• Virginia is outscoring its opponents 40-10 in the first quarter.
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mendenhall Elevates Vic So’oto to Defensive Line Coach
Football | 6/21/2017
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Wednesday (June 21) that Vic So’ot...
Two Graduate Transfers Will Not Enroll at UVA
Football | 6/9/2017
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced that two graduate transfers who...
Kickoff Times Announced for Virginia's First Three Football ...
Football | 5/31/2017
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Former UVA Player/Coach Sonny Randle Passes Away
Football | 5/24/2017
Ulmo “Sonny” Randle, a former Virginia football standout and the 35th head coach in...
Virginia Football Single-Game Tickets On Sale Now
Football | 5/19/2017
Single-game tickets and Value Packages for the 2017 season are on sale now.
Blanding and Kiser Named to Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/15/2017
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2017 ...
Virginia and Liberty Announce Football Series
Football | 05/13/2017
Virginia and Liberty announced today (May 13) the first football series between the two programs....
Notre Dame and Virginia Add Future Football Dates
Football | 05/11/2017
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today (May 11) additional dates the Notre Dame football ...
- Online Stores