Game Notes • Virginia vs. Duke
- UVa dropped back-to-back games to Duke for the first time since losing in 1981 and 1982
- Duke's Thaddeus Lewis threw for 343 yards, becoming the first opponent to throw over 300 yards against UVa since USC's Mark Sanchez (344) in the 2008 season opener
- UVa's six sacks of Duke's Thaddeus Lewis were the most allowed by the Blue Devils this season
- Virginia had six sacks. Duke entered the game third in the ACC having allowed just 14 sacks all season
- UVa's six sacks are the most since recording six against Richmond in 2008
- John-Kevin Dolce had a career-high 2.5 sacks
- Nate Collins had a career-high two sacks
- Connor McCartin and Paul Freedman both appeared in the game to become the 13th and 14th true freshman to make their collegiate debuts for UVA this season.
- Freedman finished the contest with one reception for six yards
- Joe Torchia scored his first collegiate touchdown on a 19-yard strike from Jameel Sewell in the fourth quarter
- Torchia's 21-yard reception in the fourth quarter was the longest of his career
- Sewell's passing touchdown in the fourth quarter marked UVa's first redzone passing score of the season (11 FG)
- Jameel Sewell tossed an interception in the first quarter, halting his streak at 145 pass attempts without an interception. He entered the game with the fifth-longest active streak amongst Division I players
- Sewell was last picked off during the Southern Miss. game on Sept. 19
- Sewell connected for 86 yards on the afternoon, moving his career total to 4,865 where he still stands in sixth place in the Virginia annals, needing 13 yards to pass Marques Hagans (4,877) for fifth all-time.
- UVa has gone seven games without allowing a first quarter touchdown and is now outscoring its opponents in the opening period 40-16.
- Duke's passing touchdown in the fourth quarter was the first passing touchdown allowed by the Cavaliers in five games (last one allowed was in the Southern Miss game)
- UVa has been held under 100 yards rushing for the third straight game, marking the first time this has happened since the opening three games of the 2008 season
- The game was the 1,200th in Virginia history, the 12th most in NCAA history
- Al Groh coached his 174th career game at an ACC school (Wake, Virginia) today. That moves him into sole possession of fourth place all-time, passing former N.C. State coach Earle Edwards.
Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.Mueller Sets Sights on World TitleWrestling6/11/18Early this month, Jack Mueller, a rising junior at UVA, clinched a spot on the U.S. team that will compete at the U23 freestyle world championships in Romania.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ryan Phillis Joins Football Conditioning Staff
Football | 6/15/2018
Virginia's director of football development and performance Shawn Griswold has added Ryan...
DL Cassius Peat Transfers to Virginia from Scottsdale...
Football | 6/2/2018
Scottsdale Community College defensive lineman Cassius Peat (Chandler, Ariz.) has announced he...
Virginia's Road Game at Indiana to Kick Off at 7:30 p.m.
Football | 5/31/2018
The Big Ten Conference announced today Virginia's road game at Indiana on Saturday, September 8...
Jeff White: UVA Pioneer Ready for Next Chapter
Football | 5/21/2018
Kent Merritt, who's retiring from his position in the history department, was among the players...
Kickoff Times Announced for Three Virginia Home Games
Football | 5/18/2018
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Jeff White: Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall, Williams
Football | 5/17/2018
Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with ...
Virginia Football Single-Game Tickets on Sale
Football | 05/17/2018
Single-game tickets for all seven home games of the 2018 Virginia Football season go on sale...
Playing Careers End for Kirven and Trucilla
Football | 05/11/2018
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today defensive linemen John Kirven (Ral...
- Online Stores