Nov. 7, 2016
| Virginia vs. Miami • #MIAvsUVA
|Date/Time||Sat., Nov. 12, 2016 | 2 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Scott Stadium (61,500)|
|Television||RSN | Affiliates
|Radio||Virginia Sports Radio Network |
Satellite Radio -- Sirius 145 | XM 195
|Multimedia||Gametracker | WatchESPN|
|@UVA_Football | @UVACoachBronco | @VirginiaSports|
|Game Notes||Virginia | Miami | ACC | UVA Depth Chart|
|Additional Information||Tickets | Facebook | Instagram | 2016 Fact Book |
Game Day Central | 2016 Season Stats |
Coach Mendenhall Weekly Press Conference Transcript
Saturday is Senior Day at Scott Stadium
• Saturday is "Senior Day" at Scott Stadium where 33 fourth- and fifth-years will be honored prior to the game with Miami.
• The Cavaliers being honored before the game are: ILB Zach Bradshaw, QB Connor Brewer, RB Anthony Calloway, P Nicholas Conte, OLB Malcolm Cook, OT Jack English, CB Kirk Garner, DE Mark Hall, RB Daniel Hamm, CB Tim Harris, PK Sam Hayward, QB Matt Johns, WR Keeon Johnson, OG Sean Karl, ILB Micah Kiser, WR Andre Levrone, TE Brendan Marshall, C Jackson Matteo, OG Jack McDonald, DT Andre Miles-Redmond, TB Taquan Mizzell, OG Michael Mooney, DE Jack Powers, Student Assistant Jacob Rainey, SS Kelvin Rainey, TB Albert Reid, WR Ryan Santoro, LS Tyler Shirley, PK Dylan Sims, OT Eric Smith, CB Wilfred Wahee, DT Donte Wilkins, FB Connor Wing-Reeves.
It is Military Appreciation Day on Saturday
• UVA returns home to host ACC foe Miami on Military Appreciation Day.
• The colors will be presented by a UVA ROTC Joint Color Guard consisting of cadets and midshipmen from the Air Force, Army and Navy ROTC units. Members of the UVA ROTC units will unfurl a large flag for the national anthem.
• There will be special veterans recognitions as well as military shoutout videos on Hoo Vision throughout the course of the game.
• The U.S. Army Drill Team from Washington, D.C., will be performing for the second consecutive year at Scott Stadium.
Virginia vs. Miami
• This is the 14th meeting between the Coastal Division rivals. With UVA winning four of the last six meetings, Miami leads the series by one game, 7-6.
• Miami won the first three games in the series (1996, 2004, 2005), but UVA holds a 6-4 advantage since.
• Since the Hurricanes' arrival in the Atlantic Coast Conference (2004), the series is tied, 6-6.
Five Top Storylines
• TB Taquan Mizzell needs 10 receiving yards to become the first player in ACC history with at least 1,500 career rushing and 1,500 career receiving yards. Mizzell has 1,742 career rushing yards and enters Saturday's game with 1,490 career receiving yards. With 10 more receiving yards Mizzell will become only the ninth player in all of FBS to accomplish the feat since 2000.
• Virginia and Miami have started the most true freshmen in the ACC this season. Miami leads the league with five true freshmen that have started games, while UVA is tied with Florida State with four true freshmen that have started games.
• ILB Micah Kiser has recorded 219 tackles in his 21 career starts, giving the junior 10.4 tackles per game over his 21 starts. Kiser has 234 career tackles in 33 games.
• P Nicholas Conte is No. 1 in the ACC and No. 10 in the nation with a 45.5 punting average. Of Conte's 25 punts inside the 20, 11 punts are inside the 10, six of those punts are inside the five and five of those punts have been downed at the one-yard line. His career 45.1 punting average is a program best.
• Benkert's 19 touchdown passes place him in a tie at No. 7 for all-time for passing touchdowns in a season at UVA. Matt Blundin also had 19 passing touchdowns in 1991 and Symmion Willis tallied 19 passing touchdowns in 1993.
More on the UVA-Miami Series
• The first match-up occurred in the 1996 Carquest Bowl at then-Joe Robbie Stadium, a 31-21 victory by Miami.
• That game was the final collegiate action for several notable Cavaliers, including Tiki and Ronde Barber, James Farrior, Jon Harris and Jamie Sharper.
• In addition to this Cavalier quintet, the game featured a large number of future pros.
• Of the 44 starters in the game, 20 were drafted by NFL teams (11 UVA, 9 Miami). The group of NFL draftees included nine first-round picks. Twenty-one Cavaliers and 22 Hurricanes went on to play in the NFL.
UVA First School to Accomplish This Florida Feat
• UVA's trip to Sun Life Stadium in 2011 the Cavaliers came out on top with a 28-21 victory. The win set the table for Virginia to become the first program in college football history to win road games at Miami and Florida State in the same season. UVA later won in 2011 at then-No. 23 FSU, 14-13.
• UVA was the only team in college football history to accomplish the feat until North Carolina did so earlier this season.
• Florida State and Miami have brough eight combined national titles to the Sunshine State.
• Florida State's home loss this season to North Carolina was its first ACC home setback since the Cavaliers left Tallahassee victorious that November night in 2011.
Last-Second Heroics in 2012
•The 2012 game at Scott Stadium saw last-second heroics by the Cavaliers.
• Michael Rocco tossed a 10-yard pass to Jake McGee in the back of the end zone with six seconds left to beat Miami, 41-40 at Scott Stadium. The touchdown capped a 10-point, fourth quarter deficit.
• Rocco was 29-of-37 for 300 yards and four touchdowns in the win.
• McGee had four catches for 26 yards including the game-winning score.
• WR Dominique Terrell had a career day in the 2012 meeting with nine catches for 127 yards.
• The victory serves as the most recent UVA "last-minute win."
• UVA has scored on 27 of its last 30 trips inside the red-zone, with 24 touchdowns and three field goals.
• UVA ranks third in the nation in red-zone chances that ended with a touchdown (80 percent).
• Since Taquan Mizzell fumbled on the five-yard line against Richmond in the season-opening game, UVA has scored on 27-of-29 trips inside the red-zone. Both times UVA failed during those last 29 trips inside the red-zone was because of missed field goals. Alex Furbank's 20-yard field goal attempt as time expired at UConn on Sept. 17 was the first, followed by Sam Hayward's 30-yard attempt against then-No. 5 Louisville on Oct. 29.
• UVA has scored on 17 of its 18 goal-to-goal offensive situations with 15 touchdowns.
• UVA's lone goal-to-goal opportunity it failed on was the end of the UConn game when the Cavaliers' field goal attempt was wide as time expired as they tried to force overtime.
• Eight of UVA's touchdowns in goal-to-goal situations have been via the pass and seven via the rush.
New Coaches Welcomed Into Cavaliers' FoldWomen's Rowing8/18/17Virginia's rowing team heads into 2017-18 with two new coaches: associate head coach Emily Ford and assistant Erin Neppel.Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.DeSorbo Hits Ground Running at UVASwimming & Diving8/16/17After six seasons as NC State's associate head coach, Todd DeSorbo now oversees men's and women's swimming & diving at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Coach's Corner Moves to Birdwood Grill in 2017
Football | 8/17/2017
The live radio program airs each Tuesday night across the Virginia Sports Network.
Jeff White: Nelson Making Name for Himself in Secondary
Football | 8/16/2017
Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a...
Virginia Athletics Announces Countdown to Kickoff Promotion
Football | 8/4/2017
With kickoff to the 2017 Virginia Football season just over 4 weeks away, Virginia Athletics will...
Saturday Athletics Events Cancelled
Football | 8/12/2017
Due to the ongoing public safety concerns in downtown Charlottesville and as a result of both the...
Jeff White: Training Camp Notebook
Football | 8/11/2017
Training camp continues for UVA, whose second season under Bronco Mendenhall starts Sept. 2...
Jeff White: Spaziani Sees His Efforts Rewarded
Football | 8/8/2017
One of the Cavaliers' long-snappers, redshirt junior Joe Spaziani was awarded a scholarship on...
Jeff White: New-Look Defensive Line Taking Shape
Football | 08/01/2017
Eli Hanback and Juwan Moye are working at new positions on Virginia's defensive line: Hanback at ...
Virginia Hosts Two Free Preseason Events Saturday
Football | 08/08/2017
Men’s soccer hosts Wright State at 1 p.m. followed by Football Meet the Team and Movie...
- Online Stores