Nov. 10, 2012
Miami at Virginia
Nov. 10, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
• UVa is now 5-5 all-time against Miami and 3-2 in Charlottesville.
• The Cavaliers have three consecutive wins over Miami and have won five of the last seven meetings.
• The three-game winning streak is UVa’s longest in the series.
• UVa’s 41-40 win is the third-highest scoring one-point game in ACC history.
• Virginia was the seventh Miami opponent to score first against the Hurricanes this season.
• UVa became the third opponent (Boston College and Kansas State) to score 14 or more points against the Hurricanes in the first quarter this year.
• Virginia’s 21 points in the first quarter were the most given up in an opening period by the Hurricanes this season.
• Duke Johnson’s 95-yard kickoff return was the second kickoff returned for a touchdown against Virginia this year (Stefon Diggs, Maryland, 100 yards).
• The 21 points in the first quarter were the most UVa had scored in an opening quarter since Sept. 29, 2007 when it scored 27 in a 44-14 win over Pitt and the most in any quarter since scoring 21 in the second quarter in a 35-20 win over ECU on Oct. 11, 2008.
• Both teams recorded the most points in a half this season (UVa – 28; Miami – 24).
• Today’s win was the Cavaliers’ second come-from-behind victory this season (Penn State).
• UVa’s 41 points was the first time the Cavaliers have scored 40 or more since the season opener against Richmond.
• UVa became the first team to rally in the fourth quarter against Miami this year; UM was 4-0 this year when leading after three quarters.
• Today was Military Appreciation Day and UVa head coach Mike London wore full camouflage fatigues, while all UVa coaches wore camouflage pants. London also wore a different hat for each quarter to represent the various military branches.
• Michael Rocco started at quarterback for the first time since the Louisiana Tech game.
• Rocco had a career-high four touchdown passes and was the first Cavalier to throw four touchdowns in a game since Marc Verica threw for four at Duke in 2010.
• Rocco’s four touchdowns is tied for the sixth-most in a single game in UVa history with 13 others.
• Rocco completed a UVa school-record 18 consecutive pass attempts (previous high was 14, set by Matt Blundin vs. Duke in 1991).
• Rocco has thrown at least two touchdown passes in a game seven times in his UVa career and three times this season.
• Rocco reached at least 200 passing yards for the 11th time in his career, tied for fifth-most in UVa history. He also reached 300 yards for the fourth time in his career.
• Rocco now has 4,399 career passing yards, the eighth-most in UVa history, passing Mike Groh (4,366).
• Today was Rocco’s fourth career fourth quarter game-winning drive (Indiana & Florida State in 2011/Penn State and Miami in 2012).
• Jake McGee matched a career high with four receptions and one touchdown catch.
• Rocco and McGee also teamed up for a game-winning touchdown against Penn State.
• Miles Gooch’s touchdown catch on the opening drive was the first reception of his UVa career.
• With 13 tackles Greer recorded double-digit tackles for the fifth time this season and the 12th time in his career.
• Steve Greer moved into ninth all-time in Virginia career tackles with 349, passing current UVa safeties and special teams coach Anthony Poindexter (342) and Wali Rainer (347).
• Dominique Terrell set career-highs with nine receptions and 127 yards.
• Darius Jennings set career highs with two touchdowns and seven receptions.
• With seven catches, Perry Jones moved into seventh-place in UVa career receptions with 121, passing Kevin Ogletree (117) and Dave Sullivan (120).
• Maurice Canady tallied a career-high nine tackles, as well as forcing and recovering his first fumble.
New Coaches Welcomed Into Cavaliers' FoldWomen's Rowing8/18/17Virginia's rowing team heads into 2017-18 with two new coaches: associate head coach Emily Ford and assistant Erin Neppel.Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.DeSorbo Hits Ground Running at UVASwimming & Diving8/16/17After six seasons as NC State's associate head coach, Todd DeSorbo now oversees men's and women's swimming & diving at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Coach's Corner Moves to Birdwood Grill in 2017
Football | 8/17/2017
The live radio program airs each Tuesday night across the Virginia Sports Network.
Jeff White: Nelson Making Name for Himself in Secondary
Football | 8/16/2017
Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a...
Virginia Athletics Announces Countdown to Kickoff Promotion
Football | 8/4/2017
With kickoff to the 2017 Virginia Football season just over 4 weeks away, Virginia Athletics will...
Saturday Athletics Events Cancelled
Football | 8/12/2017
Due to the ongoing public safety concerns in downtown Charlottesville and as a result of both the...
Jeff White: Training Camp Notebook
Football | 8/11/2017
Training camp continues for UVA, whose second season under Bronco Mendenhall starts Sept. 2...
Jeff White: Spaziani Sees His Efforts Rewarded
Football | 8/8/2017
One of the Cavaliers' long-snappers, redshirt junior Joe Spaziani was awarded a scholarship on...
Jeff White: New-Look Defensive Line Taking Shape
Football | 08/01/2017
Eli Hanback and Juwan Moye are working at new positions on Virginia's defensive line: Hanback at ...
Virginia Hosts Two Free Preseason Events Saturday
Football | 08/08/2017
Men’s soccer hosts Wright State at 1 p.m. followed by Football Meet the Team and Movie...
- Online Stores