Nov. 10, 2012
Miami at Virginia
Nov. 10, 2012
Virginia Game Notes
• UVa is now 5-5 all-time against Miami and 3-2 in Charlottesville.
• The Cavaliers have three consecutive wins over Miami and have won five of the last seven meetings.
• The three-game winning streak is UVa’s longest in the series.
• UVa’s 41-40 win is the third-highest scoring one-point game in ACC history.
• Virginia was the seventh Miami opponent to score first against the Hurricanes this season.
• UVa became the third opponent (Boston College and Kansas State) to score 14 or more points against the Hurricanes in the first quarter this year.
• Virginia’s 21 points in the first quarter were the most given up in an opening period by the Hurricanes this season.
• Duke Johnson’s 95-yard kickoff return was the second kickoff returned for a touchdown against Virginia this year (Stefon Diggs, Maryland, 100 yards).
• The 21 points in the first quarter were the most UVa had scored in an opening quarter since Sept. 29, 2007 when it scored 27 in a 44-14 win over Pitt and the most in any quarter since scoring 21 in the second quarter in a 35-20 win over ECU on Oct. 11, 2008.
• Both teams recorded the most points in a half this season (UVa – 28; Miami – 24).
• Today’s win was the Cavaliers’ second come-from-behind victory this season (Penn State).
• UVa’s 41 points was the first time the Cavaliers have scored 40 or more since the season opener against Richmond.
• UVa became the first team to rally in the fourth quarter against Miami this year; UM was 4-0 this year when leading after three quarters.
• Today was Military Appreciation Day and UVa head coach Mike London wore full camouflage fatigues, while all UVa coaches wore camouflage pants. London also wore a different hat for each quarter to represent the various military branches.
• Michael Rocco started at quarterback for the first time since the Louisiana Tech game.
• Rocco had a career-high four touchdown passes and was the first Cavalier to throw four touchdowns in a game since Marc Verica threw for four at Duke in 2010.
• Rocco’s four touchdowns is tied for the sixth-most in a single game in UVa history with 13 others.
• Rocco completed a UVa school-record 18 consecutive pass attempts (previous high was 14, set by Matt Blundin vs. Duke in 1991).
• Rocco has thrown at least two touchdown passes in a game seven times in his UVa career and three times this season.
• Rocco reached at least 200 passing yards for the 11th time in his career, tied for fifth-most in UVa history. He also reached 300 yards for the fourth time in his career.
• Rocco now has 4,399 career passing yards, the eighth-most in UVa history, passing Mike Groh (4,366).
• Today was Rocco’s fourth career fourth quarter game-winning drive (Indiana & Florida State in 2011/Penn State and Miami in 2012).
• Jake McGee matched a career high with four receptions and one touchdown catch.
• Rocco and McGee also teamed up for a game-winning touchdown against Penn State.
• Miles Gooch’s touchdown catch on the opening drive was the first reception of his UVa career.
• With 13 tackles Greer recorded double-digit tackles for the fifth time this season and the 12th time in his career.
• Steve Greer moved into ninth all-time in Virginia career tackles with 349, passing current UVa safeties and special teams coach Anthony Poindexter (342) and Wali Rainer (347).
• Dominique Terrell set career-highs with nine receptions and 127 yards.
• Darius Jennings set career highs with two touchdowns and seven receptions.
• With seven catches, Perry Jones moved into seventh-place in UVa career receptions with 121, passing Kevin Ogletree (117) and Dave Sullivan (120).
• Maurice Canady tallied a career-high nine tackles, as well as forcing and recovering his first fumble.
'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.Home-Court Advantage Proves Pivotal AgainMen's Basketball12/1/16No. 6 Virginia, which hosts No. 25 West Virginia on Saturday afternoon, has won 24 straight games at John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Kiser Named a CoSIDA Football Academic All-American
Football | 12/1/2016
Virginia inside linebacker Micah Kiser has been named to the 2016 College Sports Information...
Blanding, Conte and Kiser Highlight All-ACC Honorees
Football | 11/28/2016
Free safety Quin Blanding, punter Nicholas Conte and inside linebacker Micah Kiser highlight...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Head Into Offseason on Humbling Note
Football | 11/27/2016
UVA finished its first season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall with a 2-10 record after losing ...
Virginia Drops Season Finale to Virginia Tech, 52-10
Football | 11/26/2016
Sam Rogers ran for a career-best 105 yards and two touchdowns and Virginia Tech tuned up for...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Look to End Drought Saturday
Football | 11/25/2016
At noon Saturday, Virginia (2-9, 1-6) closes the season against ACC rival Virginia Tech (8-3, 5-2...
UVA Concludes Season at Virginia Tech on Saturday
Football | 11/21/2016
Virginia and Virginia Tech will play a nationally-televised game on Saturday afternoon on ESPN2.
Jeff White: Rivalry Week Brings Opportunity
Football | 11/22/2016
At noon Saturday, in an ACC game ESPN2 will televise, Virginia (2-9, 1-6) closes the season...
Jeff White: Georgia Tech Postscript
Football | 11/20/2016
Virginia, which lost yesterday to Georgia Tech in Atlanta, closes the season Saturday against...
- Online Stores