Nov. 10, 2012
Miami Postgame Notes
• Today’s Captains: Brandon Linder, Mike James, Shayon Green, Brandon McGee, Stephen Morris.
• Weather at kickoff: Temperature: 56 degrees. Wind: Calm. Sunny and fair.
• Today’s offensive starters: WR Duke Johnson, WR Phillip Dorsett, WR Davon Johnson, WR Allen Hurns, RB Mike James, QB Stephen Morris, LT Malcolm Bunch, LG Jon
Feliciano, C Shane McDermott, RG Brandon Linder, RT Seantrel Henderson.
• Today’s defensive starters: DE Anthony Chickillo, DE Shayon Green, DT Curtis Porter, DT Olsen Pierre, LB Thurston Armbrister, LB James Gaines, LB Gionni Paul, CB
Ladarius Gunter, CB Brandon McGee, S Kacy Rodgers II, S A.J. Highsmith.
• Miami defense picked up its third safety of the season in the fourth quarter.
• The Hurricanes are now 5-5 all-time against Virginia.
• Freshman Duke Johnson tossed a touchdown on the fi rst pass of his collegiate career, an 8-yarder to Allen Hurns.
• The pass TD for Johnson gives him at least one score passing, rushing, receiving and off a kick this season.
• On Johnson’s next touch, he raced 95 yards down the right sideline for his second kickoff return of the season. The two kick returns tie him for the most in school history
with Tim Morgan (1973-76), Ottis Anderson (1975-78) and Devin Hester (2003-05).
• Johnson is only the third player with a TD pass and kickoff return for a TD since 2000 (Charles Pauley, San Jose State - 2002), (Eric Page, Toledo - 2010).
• Johnson set personal-bests with 150 yards on 16 carries.
• With 368 all-purpose yards in the game, Johnson surpassed Edgerrin James, Graig Cooper, Chuck Forman, Santana Moss and Lamar Miller for all-purpose yards in a
season. He now has 1,688 total yards on the season. Willis McGahee holds the UM record with 2,108 in a season.
• WR Allen Hurns caught two fi rst half touchdowns, an 8-yarder from Duke Johnson in the fi rst quarter and a 12-yard grab from Stephen Morris in the second quarter.
Hurns leads all Miami players with four touchdown receptions on the season, matching his career-best total from 2011. He fi nished with four receptions for 37 yards (9.3
• CB Brandon McGee intercepted his second pass of the season in the second quarter, leading to Jake Wieclaw’s sixth consecutive FG conversion, giving the Canes a 24-21
lead. The interception was the was the third of his career.
• DE Anthony Chickillo picked up his third sack of the season in the third quarter, resulting in a six-yard loss. He now is tied with DE Tryiq McCord for the team lead.
• QB Stephen Morris tossed for three TDs in the game (second-most in a game this season), while not throwing an interception for the second straight game.
• WR Phillip Dorsett recorded his third game with at least 100 yards receiving (103). He averaged 17.2 yards on six catches.
• LB Gionni Paul led Miami with a career-high 14 tackles in the game. Fellow LB Jimmy Gaines also set a career-high with 12 stops.
• Freshman DB Rayshawn Jenkins had eight tackles in the game - he entered the day with six stops on the season.
Margin of Error Gone for CavaliersMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.Cavaliers Push On With Heavy HeartsBaseball4/25/16No. 21 Virginia, coming off an emotionally draining weekend in Coral Gables, Fla., meets ODU at noon Tuesday in Norfolk at Harbor Park.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Spring Football Notebook
Football | 4/27/2016
With practice over until training camp begins in August, Virginia's coaching staff has shifted...
Frye Named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
Football | 4/27/2016
Virginia football player Ian Frye has earned NFF Hampshire Honor Society membership
Jeff White: Mendenhall Philosophy Taking Root at UVA
Football | 4/24/2016
Virginia, in its first year under head coach Bronco Mendenhall, concluded spring practice...
Spring Football Festival Set for April 23 at Scott Stadium
Football | 4/19/2016
The Virginia football team will hold its annual Spring Football Festival on Saturday, April 23 at...
Thornhill Thriving On Bigger Stage
Football | 4/22/2016
Rising sophomore Juan Thornhill, a graduate of tiny Altavista High, has been working with...
Jeff White: Levrone Working to Make Up for Lost Time
Football | 4/14/2016
Redshirt junior Andre Levrone is among the wide receivers who have impressed Virginia head coach ...
Jeff White: Football Alumni Eager for Mendenhall Era
Football | 04/11/2016
About 250 former UVA players returned to Charlottesville over the weekend at the invitation of...
Jeff White: Defensive Line Embracing Change
Football | 04/08/2016
Linemen impressing this spring in Virginia's new 3-4 defense include nose tackle Donte Wilkins...
- Online Stores