Nov. 10, 2012
Miami Postgame Notes
• Today’s Captains: Brandon Linder, Mike James, Shayon Green, Brandon McGee, Stephen Morris.
• Weather at kickoff: Temperature: 56 degrees. Wind: Calm. Sunny and fair.
• Today’s offensive starters: WR Duke Johnson, WR Phillip Dorsett, WR Davon Johnson, WR Allen Hurns, RB Mike James, QB Stephen Morris, LT Malcolm Bunch, LG Jon
Feliciano, C Shane McDermott, RG Brandon Linder, RT Seantrel Henderson.
• Today’s defensive starters: DE Anthony Chickillo, DE Shayon Green, DT Curtis Porter, DT Olsen Pierre, LB Thurston Armbrister, LB James Gaines, LB Gionni Paul, CB
Ladarius Gunter, CB Brandon McGee, S Kacy Rodgers II, S A.J. Highsmith.
• Miami defense picked up its third safety of the season in the fourth quarter.
• The Hurricanes are now 5-5 all-time against Virginia.
• Freshman Duke Johnson tossed a touchdown on the fi rst pass of his collegiate career, an 8-yarder to Allen Hurns.
• The pass TD for Johnson gives him at least one score passing, rushing, receiving and off a kick this season.
• On Johnson’s next touch, he raced 95 yards down the right sideline for his second kickoff return of the season. The two kick returns tie him for the most in school history
with Tim Morgan (1973-76), Ottis Anderson (1975-78) and Devin Hester (2003-05).
• Johnson is only the third player with a TD pass and kickoff return for a TD since 2000 (Charles Pauley, San Jose State - 2002), (Eric Page, Toledo - 2010).
• Johnson set personal-bests with 150 yards on 16 carries.
• With 368 all-purpose yards in the game, Johnson surpassed Edgerrin James, Graig Cooper, Chuck Forman, Santana Moss and Lamar Miller for all-purpose yards in a
season. He now has 1,688 total yards on the season. Willis McGahee holds the UM record with 2,108 in a season.
• WR Allen Hurns caught two fi rst half touchdowns, an 8-yarder from Duke Johnson in the fi rst quarter and a 12-yard grab from Stephen Morris in the second quarter.
Hurns leads all Miami players with four touchdown receptions on the season, matching his career-best total from 2011. He fi nished with four receptions for 37 yards (9.3
• CB Brandon McGee intercepted his second pass of the season in the second quarter, leading to Jake Wieclaw’s sixth consecutive FG conversion, giving the Canes a 24-21
lead. The interception was the was the third of his career.
• DE Anthony Chickillo picked up his third sack of the season in the third quarter, resulting in a six-yard loss. He now is tied with DE Tryiq McCord for the team lead.
• QB Stephen Morris tossed for three TDs in the game (second-most in a game this season), while not throwing an interception for the second straight game.
• WR Phillip Dorsett recorded his third game with at least 100 yards receiving (103). He averaged 17.2 yards on six catches.
• LB Gionni Paul led Miami with a career-high 14 tackles in the game. Fellow LB Jimmy Gaines also set a career-high with 12 stops.
• Freshman DB Rayshawn Jenkins had eight tackles in the game - he entered the day with six stops on the season.
Cavalier Football Notebook: UNC WeekFootball10/21/16At 3 p.m. Saturday, UVA (2-4, 1-1) hosts Coastal Division rival North Carolina (5-2, 3-1) in an ACC football game at Scott Stadium.Lucas Playing Key Role in TurnaroundField Hockey10/20/16Carrera Lucas' play at goalkeeper has helped No.9 Virginia, which hosts No. 7 Louisville on Friday night, win seven of its past eight games.Media Day NotebookMen's Basketball10/18/16Virginia, which advanced to the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight in 2015-16, opens the season Nov. 11 against UNC Greensboro at the Greensboro Coliseum.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Football Notebook -- UNC Week
Football | 10/21/2016
At 3 p.m. Saturday, UVA (2-4, 1-1) hosts Coastal Division rival North Carolina (5-2, 3-1) in an...
ACC Football Tailgate Tour Heads to UVA
Football | 10/19/2016
Virginia’s football game against North Carolina for renewal of the “South’s...
UVA Hosts No. 22 North Carolina on Saturday
Football | 10/17/2016
Virginia and North Carolina will meet for the 121st time in the South’s Oldest Rivalry, a...
Kickoff for UVA-Louisville Set for Noon
Football | 10/17/2016
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced the start time for Virginia’s Oct. 29 home game...
Jeff White: Consistency Eludes Cavaliers in Loss
Football | 10/15/2016
Virginia's two-game winning streak ended Saturday afternoon at Scott Stadium, where Pitt rallied ...
Virginia Falls to Pittsburgh 45-31
Football | 10/15/2016
Virginia scored 28 first-half points, including two touchdowns from Albert Reid, but Pittsburgh...
Jeff White: Cook Finds Purpose in New Role
Football | 10/14/2016
Linebacker Malcolm Cook, out for medical reasons this fall, helps signal in plays to Virginia's...
Coach's Corner with Bronco Mendenhall Returns Tonight
Football | 10/18/2016
The weekly "Coach's Corner with Bronco Mendenhall" radio program, presented by Virginia Farm...
- Online Stores