Nov. 14, 2016
| Virginia at Georgia Tech • #UVAvsGT
|Date/Time||Sat., Nov. 19, 2016 | 12:30 p.m.|
|Location||Atlanta, Ga. | Bobby Dodd Stadium (55,000)|
|Television||ACC Network | Affiliates
|Radio||Virginia Sports Radio Network |
Satellite Radio -- Sirius 132 | XM 202
|Multimedia||Gametracker | WatchESPN|
|@UVA_Football | @UVACoachBronco | @VirginiaSports|
|Game Notes||Virginia | Georgia Tech | ACC | UVA Depth Chart|
|Additional Information||Tickets | Facebook | Instagram | 2016 Fact Book |
Game Day Central | 2016 Season Stats |
Coach Mendenhall Weekly Press Conference Transcript
UVA Heads to Atlanta to Face Georgia Tech
• Virginia heads to Atlanta on Saturday to face the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in the first of two consecutive road ACC games for the Cavaliers to close the season. The game will be televised on the ACC Network.
Virginia vs. Georgia Tech
• The Yellow Jackets lead the all-time series, 19-18-1, which dates back to 1965.
• The series has favored the home team historically. The Yellow Jackets are 15-7 at Bobby Dodd Stadium against UVA.
Five Top Storylines
• ILB Micah Kiser has recorded 231 tackles in his 22 career starts, giving the junior 10.5 tackles per game over his 22 starts. Kiser's 231 tackles since the start of the 2015 are the second-most in the nation and the most among "Power 5" players. Kiser has 246 career tackles in 34 games.
• P Nicholas Conte is No. 1 in the ACC and No. 11 in the nation with a 44.8 punting average. Of Conte's 29 punts inside the 20, 13 punts are inside the 10, six of those punts are inside the five and five of those punts have been downed at the one-yard line. Conte's 29 punts inside the 20 leads the nation. His career 44.7 punting average is a program best.
• QB Kurt Benkert's 20 touchdown place him in a tie at No. 4 for all-time for passing touchdowns in a season at UVA. Matt Johns also had 20 passing touchdowns last season, Dan Ellis reached 20 passing touchdowns in 1999 and Aaaron Brooks tallied 20 passing touchdowns in 1997.
• TB Taquan Mizzell has a chance to become the 19th Cavalier to reach 2,000 career rushing yards. He enters the Georgia Tech contest needing 169 more rushing yards to reach that plateau. He is averaging 84.5 rushing yards per game over his last two games and 74 rushing yards per game over his last five contests. Mizzell's 696 rushing yards in 2016 are the most he has accumulated in any season during his four-year UVA career. Mizzell also is only the seventh Cavalier with at least 4,000 career all-purpose yards (4,031).
• FS Quin Blanding needs five tackles to pass former UVA great Anthony Poindexter (342) for most stops by a Cavalier defensive back. Poindexter currently sits No. 11 all-time at UVA in career tackles. Blanding currently ranks No. 12 all-time at UVA with 338 career tackles.
Turnovers May Tell the Story
• Since 1982, Virginia is 10-3 vs. Georgia Tech when committing fewer turnovers. The losses were in 1991, 2010 and 2013.
• Georgia Tech is 8-4-1 during that span when committing fewer turnovers.
• There have been seven games since 1982 (`82, `87, `98, `02, `05, `08, `09) where the teams had equal turnovers; UVA won in 1987, 2005 and 2008.
• In the last 11 meetings, Virginia has recorded 26 takeaways and turned them into 77 points.
• The Yellow Jackets have turned the ball over at least once in every game in the series since 2001 (27 total).
• The Yellow Jackets have committed eight turnovers in the last three meetings against UVA, including five during the 2013 meeting.
• UVA has scored on 29 of its last 34 trips inside the red-zone, with 26 touchdowns and three field goals.
• UVA ranks 10th in the nation in red-zone chances that ended with a touchdown (76.5 percent).
• After Taquan Mizzell fumbled on the five-yard line against Richmond in the season-opening game, UVA scored on 29-of-31 trips inside the red-zone. Both times UVA failed during those 29 trips inside the red-zone was because of missed field goals. Alex Furbank's 20-yard field goal attempt as time expired at UConn on Sept. 17 was the first, followed by Sam Hayward's 30-yard attempt against then-No. 5 Louisville on Oct. 29.
• On UVA's last two trips to the red-zone UVA is 0-2. The Cavaliers turned the ball over on downs and fumbled its last possession of the Miami game.
• UVA has scored on 19 of its 20 goal-to-goal offensive situations with 17 touchdowns.
• UVA's lone goal-to-goal opportunity it failed on was the end of the UConn game when the Cavaliers' field goal attempt was wide as time expired as they tried to force overtime.
• Nine of UVA's touchdowns in goal-to-goal situations have been via the pass and eight via the rush.
New Coaches Welcomed Into Cavaliers' FoldWomen's Rowing8/18/17Virginia's rowing team heads into 2017-18 with two new coaches: associate head coach Emily Ford and assistant Erin Neppel.Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.DeSorbo Hits Ground Running at UVASwimming & Diving8/16/17After six seasons as NC State's associate head coach, Todd DeSorbo now oversees men's and women's swimming & diving at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Coach's Corner Moves to Birdwood Grill in 2017
Football | 8/17/2017
The live radio program airs each Tuesday night across the Virginia Sports Network.
Jeff White: Nelson Making Name for Himself in Secondary
Football | 8/16/2017
Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a...
Virginia Athletics Announces Countdown to Kickoff Promotion
Football | 8/4/2017
With kickoff to the 2017 Virginia Football season just over 4 weeks away, Virginia Athletics will...
Saturday Athletics Events Cancelled
Football | 8/12/2017
Due to the ongoing public safety concerns in downtown Charlottesville and as a result of both the...
Jeff White: Training Camp Notebook
Football | 8/11/2017
Training camp continues for UVA, whose second season under Bronco Mendenhall starts Sept. 2...
Jeff White: Spaziani Sees His Efforts Rewarded
Football | 8/8/2017
One of the Cavaliers' long-snappers, redshirt junior Joe Spaziani was awarded a scholarship on...
Jeff White: New-Look Defensive Line Taking Shape
Football | 08/01/2017
Eli Hanback and Juwan Moye are working at new positions on Virginia's defensive line: Hanback at ...
Virginia Hosts Two Free Preseason Events Saturday
Football | 08/08/2017
Men’s soccer hosts Wright State at 1 p.m. followed by Football Meet the Team and Movie...
- Online Stores