Nov. 25, 2013
| Virginia vs. Virginia Tech • Senior Day
|Date/Time||Sat., Nov. 30, 2013 | 3:30 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Scott Stadium (61,500)|
|Radio||Virginia Sports Radio Network | Satellite Radio -- Sirius 112 | XM 197|
|Multimedia||Gametracker | WatchESPN|
|@UVa_Football | @CoachMikeLondon | @VirginiaSports|
|Game Notes||Virginia | Virginia Tech | ACC | UVa Depth Chart|
|Additional Information||Tickets | Facebook | 2013 Fact Book | 2013 Season Stats
Coach London Weekly Press Conference Transcript
Virginia and Virginia Tech Clash for the Commonwealth Cup Saturday
•Virginia concludes its 2013 season at Scott Stadium with intrastate rival, Virginia Tech, Saturday at 3:30 p.m. The game will be televised live on ESPNU.
Virginia-Virginia Tech Rivalry
• Virginia Tech leads the all-time series 52-37-5 and has won 13 of the last 14 meetings, including nine straight. Tech has also taken 16 of the teams' last 20 meetings.
• The series began in 1895 with UVa gaining a 38-0 win in Charlottesville.
• UVa's most recent victory in the series was a 35-21 win at home in 2003.
• The Hokies (94 games) are UVa's second-most frequent opponent - UVa has played North Carolina 118 times.
Commonwealth Cup Up for Grabs
• The winner of this game claims the Commonwealth Cup for the next year.
• After holding the trophy following wins in 1997 and 1998, the Cavaliers have taken it just once since then (2003) with the Hokies winning 13 of the last 14 meetings.
• The award was started for the 1996 game between the two state foes, with the Hokies receiving the trophy for the first time with a 26-9 win.
• The Cup is made of marble and cherry wood, stands four feet high and weighs more than 100 pounds.
• The scores of all 94 games in the rivalry are engraved on the sides of the trophy.
Coaches Familiar with Rivalry
• Four UVa coaches are veterans of the Virginia-Virginia Tech rivalry.
• Jon Tenuta and Anthony Poindexter are Virginia alums.
• Tenuta was part of three Commonwealth clashes (1978-80). UVa won the 1978 (17-7) and the 1979 (20-18) meetings at Scott Stadium, but lost the 1980 (30-0) meeting in Blacksburg. Tenuta had three tackles and broke up two passes on the 1980 game.
• Poindexter was 2-2 during his tenure at defensive back from 1995-98, with wins over Tech in 1997 and 1998, although he was injured for the 36-32 victory in 1998 in Blacksburg.
• Head coach Mike London was a UVa assistant coach during the 2001-04 and 2006-07 seasons, with the Cavaliers going 1-5 during that span, including a victory in 2003. He is 0-3 as a head coach against Virginia Tech.
• In addition, wide receivers coach Marques Hagans played for the Commonwealth Cup as Cavalier player. UVa graduate assistant Jonathan Lewis played in the rivalry on the other side of the ball, for Virginia Tech. Lewis, a defensive tackle, played in four Commonwealth Cup games for the Hokies (2002-05).
• Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer was a varsity defensive back for the Hokies from1966-68. He made his first start in Tech's 1966 game against Virginia, a 24-7 Hokies' victory.
32 is Virginia's Magic Number
• Scoring plenty of points against the Hokies means good things for the Cavaliers.
• Virginia has scored at least 32 points in each of its last seven series wins dating back to 1989.
Virginia in Season-Enders
• This game is the Cavaliers' final contest of the 2013 season.
• UVa is 44-75-4 all-time in regular-season finales and has lost its last nine.
• This is the eighth straight year and the 19th time in the last 23 seasons Virginia has closed the regular season against the Hokies.
Last Meeting: 2012 (@VT 17 - UVa 14)
• Cody Journell kicked a 29-yard field goal with four seconds to play to lift Virginia Tech over UVa for the ninth straight season.
• Antone Exum set up the winning drive when he intercepted Michael Rocco at the Cavaliers' 36-yard line with 3:21 remaining.
• Virginia led 14-7 after Brent Urban scored on a 16-yard fumble return early in the third quarter.
• Tim Smith tied the game earlier for the Cavaliers at 7-7 when he scored on a 42-yard scoring strike from Rocco.
• Steve Greer finished his college career with 19 tackles and fellow linebacker La'Roy Reynolds made 15 stops in his final college game.
Keeon Johnson is a Special True Freshman for UVa
• UVa true freshman Keeon Johnson made his collegiate debut in the Cavaliers' fifth game of the season after originally being slated to redshirt.
• In his seven games this season, Johnson has accumulated one of the better true freshman receiving seasons in recent memory.
• Johnson has 19 catches for 226 yards (14.6 yards per catch) and one touchdown.
• Johnson is closing in on current UVa wide receiver Darius Jennings' 2011 totals over 13 games (20 catches, 238 yards, one TD and 11.9 yards per catch).
• Johnson and Jennings (2011) have the best true freshman receiving numbers since TB Alvin Pearman caught 25 passes for 283 yards and three TDs over 12 games.
• Johnson is poised to have the best true freshman receiving season for a UVa wide receiver since Billy McMullen had 28 catches for 483 yards (17.2 yards per catch) and six touchdowns in 1999.
• Since McMullen's 1999 freshman season, some other notable UVa true freshmen have been: Dontrelle Inman with 17 catches in 2007 and Tim Smith with 204 receiving yards, 13.6 yards per catch and two TDs.
Keeon Johnson Over the Last Three Games
• Keeon Johnson has 12 catches for 187 yards and a touchdown over the past three games.
• During the span Johnson is averaging four catches for 62.3 yards per game. He is averaging 15.6 yards per catch.
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mendenhall Elevates Vic So’oto to Defensive Line Coach
Football | 6/21/2017
Virginia football head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Wednesday (June 21) that Vic So’ot...
Two Graduate Transfers Will Not Enroll at UVA
Football | 6/9/2017
Virginia head football coach Bronco Mendenhall announced that two graduate transfers who...
Kickoff Times Announced for Virginia's First Three Football ...
Football | 5/31/2017
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Former UVA Player/Coach Sonny Randle Passes Away
Football | 5/24/2017
Ulmo “Sonny” Randle, a former Virginia football standout and the 35th head coach in...
Virginia Football Single-Game Tickets On Sale Now
Football | 5/19/2017
Single-game tickets and Value Packages for the 2017 season are on sale now.
Blanding and Kiser Named to Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/15/2017
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2017 ...
Virginia and Liberty Announce Football Series
Football | 05/13/2017
Virginia and Liberty announced today (May 13) the first football series between the two programs....
Notre Dame and Virginia Add Future Football Dates
Football | 05/11/2017
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today (May 11) additional dates the Notre Dame football ...
- Online Stores