UVa Football History & Traditions
1941 Maxwell Award as the country's outstanding player
- Consensus All-American as a 19-year old senior
- Led nation in scoring (134 points), touchdowns (18) and all-purpose yards (1674)
- Second nationally in rushing (968) and total offense (1824), and fourth in punt returns (481 yards)
1991 Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year Award
- Directed a young squad that had to replace 15 starters from the previous season to an 8-3-1
- Team was unbeaten in last eight games of regular season to earn Gator Bowl bid
- Virginia led the ACC in scoring offense and scoring defense
2004 Mackey Award as the nation's outstanding tight end
- Unanimous first-team All-American as a junior
- Caught 41 passes for 541 yards and five touchdowns
- Tremendous blocker who helped UVa lead the ACC in rushing and total offense
2007 Hendricks Award as the best defensive end in the country
- Unanimous first-team All-American
- Third in the country with 14 sacks and 14th in tackles for loss
- Led the team with 23 quarterback pressures and nine pass break-ups
UVa and the Heisman Trophy
|Year||Name||Place in Voting|
Cavaliers Roll Into Exam BreakBaseball5/4/16No. 13 Virginia, which is off until May 13, when ACC foe Georgia Tech visits Davenport Field, has won six games in a row.Cavaliers' Margin for Error GoneMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Canady Selected by the Ravens in the 2016 NFL Draft
Football | 4/30/2016
Virginia senior cornerback Maurice Canady (Richmond, Va.) was selected by the Baltimore Ravens...
Jeff White: Spring Football Notebook
Football | 4/27/2016
With practice over until training camp begins in August, Virginia's coaching staff has shifted...
Frye Named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
Football | 4/27/2016
Virginia football player Ian Frye has earned NFF Hampshire Honor Society membership
Jeff White: Mendenhall Philosophy Taking Root at UVA
Football | 4/24/2016
Virginia, in its first year under head coach Bronco Mendenhall, concluded spring practice...
Spring Football Festival Set for April 23 at Scott Stadium
Football | 4/19/2016
The Virginia football team will hold its annual Spring Football Festival on Saturday, April 23 at...
Thornhill Thriving On Bigger Stage
Football | 4/22/2016
Rising sophomore Juan Thornhill, a graduate of tiny Altavista High, has been working with...
Jeff White: Levrone Working to Make Up for Lost Time
Football | 04/14/2016
Redshirt junior Andre Levrone is among the wide receivers who have impressed Virginia head coach ...
Jeff White: Football Alumni Eager for Mendenhall Era
Football | 04/11/2016
About 250 former UVA players returned to Charlottesville over the weekend at the invitation of...
- Online Stores