March 27, 2006
Awendaw, SC -
Freshman Daniel Kefale caught fire during the second round at the Hootie at Bull's Bay Intercollegiate with a 6-under 65 to help the Virginia men's golf team move up to seventh on the 15-team leaderboard.
Kefale recorded seven birdies over his first 11 holes en route to posting his best score as a collegiate. A native of Woodbridge, Va., Kefale's previous low score was a 1-under 70 he shot during his first college outing at the Tournament of Champions in Knoxville. His score was two shots off the UVa single-round record of 63 posted by Cole Kelly in 1996 at the Red River Classic. It was the best single round by a UVa golfer this year.
Kefale started his round with a birdie on the first hole and made the turn at 5-under thanks to additional birdies on holes three, five, six and eight.
Kefale managed to get to seven under thanks to birdies on 10 and 11 before a bogie on No. 13 put him back to 6-under. Kefale got that stroke back with a birdie on No. 14 before a bogie on No. 17 brought him back to six-under, where he finished his round.
After opening the tournament with a six-over 77, Kefale stands in 10th place at even-par 142. His score helped the Cavaliers shoot 3-under 281 and they stand seventh with a two-day total of 578. Virginia's gross score was its second best 18-hole performance of the season.
Wake Forest continues to lead the field at 16-under 552. South Carolina is second at 562 and Augusta State climbed into third place at 565 after shooting 15-under 269 during the second round.
The Cavaliers enter Tuesday's final round ahead of such highly-ranked teams as 14th-ranked Clemson (579), 22nd-ranked Alabama (585) and 18th-ranked Kentucky (587).
As good as Kefale's round was, it was not the days best score. Augusta State's Jamie Miller shot 7-under 64 during a round that included eight birdies and one bogie. He moved up to second overall at 8-under 134. Wake Forest's Webb Simpson heads into the final round with a one-shot lead at nine-under 133.
The 54-hole tournament concludes Tuesday. Live scoring updates are on the Internet at Golfstat.com.
Hootie at Bulls Bay
Second Round Results
Bull's Bay Golf Course
Par 71, 7,229 yards
1. Wake Forest 275-277-552
2. South Carolina 279-283-562
3. Augusta State 296-269-565
4. Central Florida 289-282-571
5. North Carolina 288-286-574
6. NC State 298-279-577
7. Virginia 297-281-578
8. Clemson 293-286-579
8. Vanderbilt 297-282-579
10. Col. of Charleston 293-291-584
11. Alabama 299-286-585
12. Florida State 293-293-586
13. LSU 300-295-587
13. Kentucky 292-287-587
15. Auburn 296-295-591
1. Webb Simpson, Wake Forest 68-65-133
2. Jamie Miller, Augusta State 70-64-134
3. Erik Tage Johansen, South Carolina 67-70-137
4. Doug Manchester, Wake Forest 67-71-138
5. Jonathan Jackson, North Carolina 70-69-139
6. Tanner Ervin, Clemson 71-69-140
6. Luke List, Vanderbilt 70-70-140
8. Darren Blair, NC State 75-66-141
8. Sonny Nimkhum, UCF 73-67-142
10. Keith Guest, Augusta State 75-65-142
10. Daniel Kefale, Virginia 77-65-142
10. Daniel Kefale 77-65-142
26. Brad Tilley 72-73-145
26. Eamonn McLoughlin 73-72-145
38. Carter Henderson 75-71-146
69. Conrad Von Borsig 78-75-153