May 6, 2013
Charlottesville, Va. - For the sixth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number 11 seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site in Columbus, Ohio, at The Ohio State University Golf Club's Scarlett Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 16-18 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 28 to June 2 at The Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga.
The regional berth marks the 17th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were fourth at a regional site in Ann Arbor, Mich., and advanced to the NCAA Championships, finishing 22nd at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles.
The field for the Columbus regional includes (listed by seed): 1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte and 13. Valparaiso.
Virginia is one of nine ACC schools participating in this year's championship. The others are: Virginia Tech (Pullman, Wash.), Duke, Clemson, North Carolina (Tempe, Ariz.) and Georgia Tech, Florida State, Wake Forest and NC State (Tallahassee, Fla.).
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other six regional sites:
Palouse Ridge Golf Club - Pullman, Wash. (Host: Washington State)
1. California, 2. TCU, 3. USC, 4. St. Mary's (Calif.), 5. Virginia Tech, 6. BYU, 7. North Texas, 8. Baylor, 9. San Diego State, 10. Ball State, 11. Memphis, 12. Pacific, 13. Princeton, 14. Saint Francis
University Club - Baton Rouge, La. (Host: LSU)
1. Alabama, 2. Florida, 3. LSU, 4. Miss State, 5. Houston, 6. Northwestern, 7. Tennessee, 8. South Alabama, 9. Coastal Carolina, 10. UAB, 11. Wichita State, 12. SW Louisiana, 13. Houston Baptist
ASU Karsten Golf Course - Tempe, Az. (Host: Arizona State)
1. UCLA, 2. Duke, 3. Georgia, 4. Texas A&M, 5. Clemson, 6. Vanderbilt, 7. UCF, 8. North Carolina, 9. Arizona State, 10. Kennesaw State, 11. Arizona, 12. Austin Peay, 13. New Mexico State, 14. Lehigh
The Blessings Golf Club - Fayetteville Ark. (Host: Arkansas)
1. Texas, 2. Arkansas, 3. Oklahoma State, 4. SMU, 5. Kent state, 6. Illinois, 7. Liberty, 8. Tulsa, 9. Kentucky, 10. Colorado, 11. Indiana, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. UMKC, 14. Alabama State
The Ohio State University Golf Club, Scarlet Course - Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State)
1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte, 13. Valparaiso
Golden Eagle Golf and Country Club - Tallahassee, Fla. (Host: Florida State)
1. Washington, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Florida State, 4. North Florida, 5. Oklahoma, 6. Wake Forest, 7. NC State, 8. Oregon, 9. Oregon State, 10. Iowa, 11. South Florida, 12. San Diego, 13. Loyola (Md.)
'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.Home-Court Advantage Proves Pivotal AgainMen's Basketball12/1/16No. 6 Virginia, which hosts No. 25 West Virginia on Saturday afternoon, has won 24 straight games at John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Men’s Golf Signing Class Features Four Top Juniors
M. Golf | 11/14/2016
Virginia men’s golf coach Bowen Sargent announced today the signing of a four-man...
Stanger Named ACC Men’s Golfer of the Month
M. Golf | 11/9/2016
Virginia’s Jimmy Stanger has been named the ACC Men’s Golfer of the Month for October...
Stanger And Hoos Tie for First at GCG Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/23/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) dropped in a five-foot birdie putt on his final hole ...
Stanger Continues to Lead at Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/22/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) continues to lead the field after 36 holes of play a ...
Stanger’s 67 Leads Hoos at Golf Club of Georgia...
M. Golf | 10/21/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) battled through windy conditions to shoot 5-under 67 ...
Bard Looks for Third Consecutive Win at GCG Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/20/2016
The seventh-ranked Virginia men’s golf team wraps up its fall season this weekend at the...
Hoos Roll to Record Win at Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 10/16/2016
The No. 17 Virginia men’s golf team picked up its second win in three tournaments this fall...
Red Hot Hoos Grab Lead at BOT Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 10/15/2016
The Virginia men’s golf team shot 19-under 269 to grab the lead at the Bank of Tennessee...
- Online Stores