May 6, 2013
Charlottesville, Va. - For the sixth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number 11 seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site in Columbus, Ohio, at The Ohio State University Golf Club's Scarlett Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 16-18 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 28 to June 2 at The Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga.
The regional berth marks the 17th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were fourth at a regional site in Ann Arbor, Mich., and advanced to the NCAA Championships, finishing 22nd at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles.
The field for the Columbus regional includes (listed by seed): 1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte and 13. Valparaiso.
Virginia is one of nine ACC schools participating in this year's championship. The others are: Virginia Tech (Pullman, Wash.), Duke, Clemson, North Carolina (Tempe, Ariz.) and Georgia Tech, Florida State, Wake Forest and NC State (Tallahassee, Fla.).
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other six regional sites:
Palouse Ridge Golf Club - Pullman, Wash. (Host: Washington State)
1. California, 2. TCU, 3. USC, 4. St. Mary's (Calif.), 5. Virginia Tech, 6. BYU, 7. North Texas, 8. Baylor, 9. San Diego State, 10. Ball State, 11. Memphis, 12. Pacific, 13. Princeton, 14. Saint Francis
University Club - Baton Rouge, La. (Host: LSU)
1. Alabama, 2. Florida, 3. LSU, 4. Miss State, 5. Houston, 6. Northwestern, 7. Tennessee, 8. South Alabama, 9. Coastal Carolina, 10. UAB, 11. Wichita State, 12. SW Louisiana, 13. Houston Baptist
ASU Karsten Golf Course - Tempe, Az. (Host: Arizona State)
1. UCLA, 2. Duke, 3. Georgia, 4. Texas A&M, 5. Clemson, 6. Vanderbilt, 7. UCF, 8. North Carolina, 9. Arizona State, 10. Kennesaw State, 11. Arizona, 12. Austin Peay, 13. New Mexico State, 14. Lehigh
The Blessings Golf Club - Fayetteville Ark. (Host: Arkansas)
1. Texas, 2. Arkansas, 3. Oklahoma State, 4. SMU, 5. Kent state, 6. Illinois, 7. Liberty, 8. Tulsa, 9. Kentucky, 10. Colorado, 11. Indiana, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. UMKC, 14. Alabama State
The Ohio State University Golf Club, Scarlet Course - Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State)
1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte, 13. Valparaiso
Golden Eagle Golf and Country Club - Tallahassee, Fla. (Host: Florida State)
1. Washington, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Florida State, 4. North Florida, 5. Oklahoma, 6. Wake Forest, 7. NC State, 8. Oregon, 9. Oregon State, 10. Iowa, 11. South Florida, 12. San Diego, 13. Loyola (Md.)
'Hoos Stay Positive in Face of AdversityFootball9/23/16Coming off back-to-back road games, Virginia (0-3) hosts Central Michigan (3-0) at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Scott Stadium.Darden Workshop Offers Coaches Fresh PerspectiveGeneral Release9/22/16More than a dozen coaches and staffers from UVA Athletics recently participated in a professional development workshop at the Darden School of Business.Barir Finds Niche in Second YearMen's Soccer9/21/16Daniel Barir, a sophomore from Denmark, has a team-high three assists for No. 16 Virginia, which plays Saturday night at No. 13 Louisville.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hoos Finish Sixth at Inverness Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 9/20/2016
In its second tournament of the season, the Virginia men’s golf team tied for sixth at the ...
Hoos in Seventh Place at Inverness Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 9/19/2016
The Virginia men’s golf team finished the first day of the Inverness Intercollegiate in...
UVA Travels to Toledo for Inverness Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 9/18/2016
The No. 14 Virginia men’s golf team returns to action Monday when the Cavaliers compete in ...
Hoos Win Carpet Capital Collegiate with Record Score
M. Golf | 9/11/2016
– The Virginia men’s golf team used a strong finish during its back nine Sunday to...
Hoos Hold Lead After 36 Holes at Carpet Capital Collegiate
M. Golf | 9/10/2016
After shooting 12-under 276 to open the Carpet Capital Collegiate in Dalton, Ga., the UVA menR...
Hoos Share First Round Lead at Carpet Capital Collegiate
M. Golf | 9/9/2016
The Virginia men’s golf team opened its season in impressive fashion, shooting 12-under 276...
Cavaliers Open Season at Carpet Capital Collegiate
M. Golf | 09/08/2016
The No. 14 Virginia men’s golf team will start its 2016-17 season this weekend at the...
Stanger Bows Out in Round of 16 at U.S. Amateur
M. Golf | 08/18/2016
Virginia senior men’s golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) reached the round of 16 at the...
- Online Stores