May 6, 2013
Charlottesville, Va. - For the sixth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number 11 seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site in Columbus, Ohio, at The Ohio State University Golf Club's Scarlett Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 16-18 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 28 to June 2 at The Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga.
The regional berth marks the 17th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were fourth at a regional site in Ann Arbor, Mich., and advanced to the NCAA Championships, finishing 22nd at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles.
The field for the Columbus regional includes (listed by seed): 1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte and 13. Valparaiso.
Virginia is one of nine ACC schools participating in this year's championship. The others are: Virginia Tech (Pullman, Wash.), Duke, Clemson, North Carolina (Tempe, Ariz.) and Georgia Tech, Florida State, Wake Forest and NC State (Tallahassee, Fla.).
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other six regional sites:
Palouse Ridge Golf Club - Pullman, Wash. (Host: Washington State)
1. California, 2. TCU, 3. USC, 4. St. Mary's (Calif.), 5. Virginia Tech, 6. BYU, 7. North Texas, 8. Baylor, 9. San Diego State, 10. Ball State, 11. Memphis, 12. Pacific, 13. Princeton, 14. Saint Francis
University Club - Baton Rouge, La. (Host: LSU)
1. Alabama, 2. Florida, 3. LSU, 4. Miss State, 5. Houston, 6. Northwestern, 7. Tennessee, 8. South Alabama, 9. Coastal Carolina, 10. UAB, 11. Wichita State, 12. SW Louisiana, 13. Houston Baptist
ASU Karsten Golf Course - Tempe, Az. (Host: Arizona State)
1. UCLA, 2. Duke, 3. Georgia, 4. Texas A&M, 5. Clemson, 6. Vanderbilt, 7. UCF, 8. North Carolina, 9. Arizona State, 10. Kennesaw State, 11. Arizona, 12. Austin Peay, 13. New Mexico State, 14. Lehigh
The Blessings Golf Club - Fayetteville Ark. (Host: Arkansas)
1. Texas, 2. Arkansas, 3. Oklahoma State, 4. SMU, 5. Kent state, 6. Illinois, 7. Liberty, 8. Tulsa, 9. Kentucky, 10. Colorado, 11. Indiana, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. UMKC, 14. Alabama State
The Ohio State University Golf Club, Scarlet Course - Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State)
1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte, 13. Valparaiso
Golden Eagle Golf and Country Club - Tallahassee, Fla. (Host: Florida State)
1. Washington, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Florida State, 4. North Florida, 5. Oklahoma, 6. Wake Forest, 7. NC State, 8. Oregon, 9. Oregon State, 10. Iowa, 11. South Florida, 12. San Diego, 13. Loyola (Md.)
Mueller Shining for Surging CavaliersWomen's Lacrosse3/29/17Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller is the second-leading scorer for No. 15 Virginia, which hosts Oregon on Wednesday night at Klöckner Stadium.Cook Ready To Make Up For Lost TimeFootball3/27/17After missing last season with a heart condition, UVA outside linebacker Malcolm Cook has been cleared to play again.Offensive Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hoos End Hootie at Bulls Bay Tourney in 10th Place
M. Golf | 3/28/2017
The No. 9 Virginia men’s golf team finished 10th at the Hootie at Bulls Bay tournament at...
Cavaliers Drop Back to Eighth at Hootie at Bulls Bay
M. Golf | 3/27/2017
The No. 9 Virginia men’s golf team dropped down to eighth place after the second round of...
Hoos Start Hootie at Bulls Bay in Third Place
M. Golf | 3/26/2017
The No. 9 Virginia men’s golf team completed the opening round at the Hootie at Bulls Bay...
Cavaliers Set to Open Play at Hootie @Bulls Bay
M. Golf | 3/25/2017
The ninth-ranked Virginia men's golf team returns to play this weekend at the Hootie at Bulls Bay...
Stanger Named a Finalist for Byron Nelson Award
M. Golf | 3/22/2017
Virginia senior golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) has been named as one of five finalists for...
Cavaliers Place Second at Linger Longer Invite
M. Golf | 3/21/2017
The No. 8 Virginia men’s golf team finished second at the Linger Longer Invitational in...
Hoos Finish Second Round at Linger Longer in Third
M. Golf | 03/20/2017
The No. 8 Virginia men’s golf team is in third place following Monday’s second round ...
Hoos Finish First Round at Linger Longer in Fifth Place
M. Golf | 03/19/2017
The No. 8 Virginia men’s golf team is in third place following the opening round of play at...
- Online Stores