May 6, 2013
Charlottesville, Va. - For the sixth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number 11 seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site in Columbus, Ohio, at The Ohio State University Golf Club's Scarlett Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 16-18 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 28 to June 2 at The Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga.
The regional berth marks the 17th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were fourth at a regional site in Ann Arbor, Mich., and advanced to the NCAA Championships, finishing 22nd at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles.
The field for the Columbus regional includes (listed by seed): 1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte and 13. Valparaiso.
Virginia is one of nine ACC schools participating in this year's championship. The others are: Virginia Tech (Pullman, Wash.), Duke, Clemson, North Carolina (Tempe, Ariz.) and Georgia Tech, Florida State, Wake Forest and NC State (Tallahassee, Fla.).
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other six regional sites:
Palouse Ridge Golf Club - Pullman, Wash. (Host: Washington State)
1. California, 2. TCU, 3. USC, 4. St. Mary's (Calif.), 5. Virginia Tech, 6. BYU, 7. North Texas, 8. Baylor, 9. San Diego State, 10. Ball State, 11. Memphis, 12. Pacific, 13. Princeton, 14. Saint Francis
University Club - Baton Rouge, La. (Host: LSU)
1. Alabama, 2. Florida, 3. LSU, 4. Miss State, 5. Houston, 6. Northwestern, 7. Tennessee, 8. South Alabama, 9. Coastal Carolina, 10. UAB, 11. Wichita State, 12. SW Louisiana, 13. Houston Baptist
ASU Karsten Golf Course - Tempe, Az. (Host: Arizona State)
1. UCLA, 2. Duke, 3. Georgia, 4. Texas A&M, 5. Clemson, 6. Vanderbilt, 7. UCF, 8. North Carolina, 9. Arizona State, 10. Kennesaw State, 11. Arizona, 12. Austin Peay, 13. New Mexico State, 14. Lehigh
The Blessings Golf Club - Fayetteville Ark. (Host: Arkansas)
1. Texas, 2. Arkansas, 3. Oklahoma State, 4. SMU, 5. Kent state, 6. Illinois, 7. Liberty, 8. Tulsa, 9. Kentucky, 10. Colorado, 11. Indiana, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. UMKC, 14. Alabama State
The Ohio State University Golf Club, Scarlet Course - Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State)
1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte, 13. Valparaiso
Golden Eagle Golf and Country Club - Tallahassee, Fla. (Host: Florida State)
1. Washington, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Florida State, 4. North Florida, 5. Oklahoma, 6. Wake Forest, 7. NC State, 8. Oregon, 9. Oregon State, 10. Iowa, 11. South Florida, 12. San Diego, 13. Loyola (Md.)
Nicholson Shines On and Off Water at UVAWomen's Rowing5/25/17Allie Nicholson, who had never rowed before arriving at UVA in 2013, is now a key member of one of the nation's top programs.'Hoos Eager to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hoos Start Play at NCAA Championships on Friday
M. Golf | 5/25/2017
The Virginia men’s golf team opens play at the NCAA Championships Friday, at Rich Harvest...
Hoos Advance to NCAA Championships for 17th Time
M. Golf | 5/17/2017
UVA advances to the NCAA Championships after finishing fourth at the Baton Rouge regional site
Hoos in Third Place After 36 Holes at NCAA Regional
M. Golf | 5/16/2017
The No. 18 Virginia men’s golf team is in third place at the NCAA Regional site in Baton...
Walker’s 67 Leads Hoos on First Day of Regional Play
M. Golf | 5/15/2017
The No. 18 Cavaliers are in second place after the opening round at the NCAA Regional in Baton...
UVa Men’s Golfers Open NCAA Regional Play Monday
M. Golf | 5/14/2017
The No. 18 Virginia men’s golf team opens play at the NCAA Regional in Baton Rouge, La., on...
Bard and Stanger Earn Men’s Golf All-ACC Honors
M. Golf | 5/11/2017
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today Virginia senior men’s golfers Derek Bard (New...
UVA Men’s Golf Receives No. 3 Seed for NCAA Regional
M. Golf | 05/04/2017
For the 10th consecutive year the Virginia men’s golf team has received a bid to the NCAA...
Stanger Named a Semifinalist for Jack Nicklaus Award
M. Golf | 05/03/2017
Virginia senior golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) has been named a semifinalist for the 2017...
- Online Stores