Charlottesville, VA - For the fifth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number four seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site at Ann Arbor, Mich., at the University of Michigan Golf Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 17-19 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 29 to June 3 at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
The Cavaliers enter postseason play ranked No. 19 by Golfstat and No. 21 by Golfweek.
The regional berth marks the 16th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were eighth at a regional site in Radford, Va., and failed to advance to the NCAA Championships after making three consecutive appearances from 2008-2010.
The field for the Ann Arbor regional includes (listed by seed): 1. USC, 2. Oregon, 3. Kent State, 4. Virginia, 5. Baylor, 6. Oklahoma State, 7. Kennesaw State, 8. TCU, 9. Purdue, 10. NC State, 11. Notre Dame, 12. Ohio State, 13. Navy
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other five regional sites:
Greensboro, NC - Grandover Resort
1. Auburn, 2. UNLV, 3. Florida, 4. Duke, 5. Indiana, 6. Liberty, 7. SMU, 8. Texas Tech, 9. Tulsa, 10. Lamar, 11. LA Lafayette, 12. Charlotte, 13. George Washington, 14. Mount St. Mary's
Athens, GA - University of Georgia Golf Course
1. Alabama, 2. North Florida, 3. New Mexico, 4. Georgia, 5. Iowa, 6. East Carolina, 7. Long Beach State, 8. Augusta State, 9. Wake Forest, 10. Houston, 11. Texas-Arlington, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. Loyola (Md.).
Bowling Green, KY - The Club at Olde Stone
1. UCLA, 2. Arkansas, 3. Texas A&M, 4. Clemson, 5. North Texas, 6. Chattanooga, 7. Memphis, 8. Virginia Tech, 9. Northwestern, 10. Iowa State, 11. Colorado State, 12. Jacksonville State, 13. Pennsylvania, 14. Alabama State.
Norman, OK - Justin Austin OU Golf Club
1. Texas, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Washington, 4. Florida State, 5. Oklahoma, 6. St. Mary's, 7. Illinois, 8. Middle Tennessee, 9. South Carolina, 10. San Diego, 11. Arizona, 12. Sacramento State, 13. IUPUI, 14. Loyola (Ill.)
Stanford, CA - Stanford Golf Course
1. California, 2. Stanford, 3. San Diego State, 4. UCF, 5. LSU, 6. UAB, 7. Wichita State, 8. Tennessee, 9. Oregon State, 10. SE Louisiana, 11. San Francisco, 12. San Jose State, 13. UC Davis
Road Tests Await 'HoosMen's Basketball1/22/17No. 16 UVA, which beat Georgia Tech at JPJ on Saturday, is on the road Tuesday against No. 15 Notre Dame and next Sunday against No. 1 Villanova.Perseverance Paying Off for SchanyWrestling1/21/17Redshirt sophomore Will Schany is the starting 184-pounder for No. 25 Virginia, which meets No. 6 Virginia Tech at 4 p.m. Sunday in Blacksburg.Selflessness Marks Cavaliers' Latest WinMen's Basketball1/19/17In its latest road victory, a 71-54 conquest of Boston College, No. 16 Virginia recorded assists on 22 of its 27 field goals Wednesday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Walker Wins South Beach International Amateur
M. Golf | 12/22/2016
Virginia junior Danny Walker (Bradenton, Fla.) fired his second straight 4-under par 67 on...
Stanger Headed to Walker Cup Practices
M. Golf | 12/13/2016
Virginia senior golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) heads to California this week as one of 16...
UVA Men’s Golf Signing Class Features Four Top Juniors
M. Golf | 11/14/2016
Virginia men’s golf coach Bowen Sargent announced today the signing of a four-man...
Stanger Named ACC Men’s Golfer of the Month
M. Golf | 11/9/2016
Virginia’s Jimmy Stanger has been named the ACC Men’s Golfer of the Month for October...
Stanger And Hoos Tie for First at GCG Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/23/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) dropped in a five-foot birdie putt on his final hole ...
Stanger Continues to Lead at Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/22/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) continues to lead the field after 36 holes of play a ...
Stanger’s 67 Leads Hoos at Golf Club of Georgia...
M. Golf | 10/21/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) battled through windy conditions to shoot 5-under 67 ...
Bard Looks for Third Consecutive Win at GCG Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/20/2016
The seventh-ranked Virginia men’s golf team wraps up its fall season this weekend at the...
- Online Stores