Charlottesville, VA - For the fifth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number four seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site at Ann Arbor, Mich., at the University of Michigan Golf Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 17-19 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 29 to June 3 at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
The Cavaliers enter postseason play ranked No. 19 by Golfstat and No. 21 by Golfweek.
The regional berth marks the 16th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were eighth at a regional site in Radford, Va., and failed to advance to the NCAA Championships after making three consecutive appearances from 2008-2010.
The field for the Ann Arbor regional includes (listed by seed): 1. USC, 2. Oregon, 3. Kent State, 4. Virginia, 5. Baylor, 6. Oklahoma State, 7. Kennesaw State, 8. TCU, 9. Purdue, 10. NC State, 11. Notre Dame, 12. Ohio State, 13. Navy
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other five regional sites:
Greensboro, NC - Grandover Resort
1. Auburn, 2. UNLV, 3. Florida, 4. Duke, 5. Indiana, 6. Liberty, 7. SMU, 8. Texas Tech, 9. Tulsa, 10. Lamar, 11. LA Lafayette, 12. Charlotte, 13. George Washington, 14. Mount St. Mary's
Athens, GA - University of Georgia Golf Course
1. Alabama, 2. North Florida, 3. New Mexico, 4. Georgia, 5. Iowa, 6. East Carolina, 7. Long Beach State, 8. Augusta State, 9. Wake Forest, 10. Houston, 11. Texas-Arlington, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. Loyola (Md.).
Bowling Green, KY - The Club at Olde Stone
1. UCLA, 2. Arkansas, 3. Texas A&M, 4. Clemson, 5. North Texas, 6. Chattanooga, 7. Memphis, 8. Virginia Tech, 9. Northwestern, 10. Iowa State, 11. Colorado State, 12. Jacksonville State, 13. Pennsylvania, 14. Alabama State.
Norman, OK - Justin Austin OU Golf Club
1. Texas, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Washington, 4. Florida State, 5. Oklahoma, 6. St. Mary's, 7. Illinois, 8. Middle Tennessee, 9. South Carolina, 10. San Diego, 11. Arizona, 12. Sacramento State, 13. IUPUI, 14. Loyola (Ill.)
Stanford, CA - Stanford Golf Course
1. California, 2. Stanford, 3. San Diego State, 4. UCF, 5. LSU, 6. UAB, 7. Wichita State, 8. Tennessee, 9. Oregon State, 10. SE Louisiana, 11. San Francisco, 12. San Jose State, 13. UC Davis
North Carolina PostscriptFootball10/23/16Virginia, which trailed 14-7 at halftime, lost 35-14 to No. 22 North Carolina in an ACC game Saturday at Scott Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook: UNC WeekFootball10/21/16At 3 p.m. Saturday, UVA (2-4, 1-1) hosts Coastal Division rival North Carolina (5-2, 3-1) in an ACC football game at Scott Stadium.Lucas Playing Key Role in TurnaroundField Hockey10/20/16Carrera Lucas' play at goalkeeper has helped No.9 Virginia, which hosts No. 7 Louisville on Friday night, win seven of its past eight games.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Stanger Continues to Lead at Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/22/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) continues to lead the field after 36 holes of play a ...
Stanger’s 67 Leads Hoos at Golf Club of Georgia...
M. Golf | 10/21/2016
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) battled through windy conditions to shoot 5-under 67 ...
Bard Looks for Third Consecutive Win at GCG Collegiate
M. Golf | 10/20/2016
The seventh-ranked Virginia men’s golf team wraps up its fall season this weekend at the...
Hoos Roll to Record Win at Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 10/16/2016
The No. 17 Virginia men’s golf team picked up its second win in three tournaments this fall...
Red Hot Hoos Grab Lead at BOT Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 10/15/2016
The Virginia men’s golf team shot 19-under 269 to grab the lead at the Bank of Tennessee...
Bard’s 66 Leads UVA at Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 10/14/2016
The Virginia men’s golf team is in third place after the opening round of play at the Bank ...
Hoos Return to Action at Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 10/13/2016
The No. 17 Virginia men’s golf team heads to Tennessee this weekend for the 19th annual...
Jeff White: Stanger Shining On and Off Course
M. Golf | 10/04/2016
Jimmy Stanger teams with fellow senior Derek Bard to give Virginia one of the most formidable...
- Online Stores