Charlottesville, VA - For the fifth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number four seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site at Ann Arbor, Mich., at the University of Michigan Golf Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 17-19 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 29 to June 3 at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
The Cavaliers enter postseason play ranked No. 19 by Golfstat and No. 21 by Golfweek.
The regional berth marks the 16th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were eighth at a regional site in Radford, Va., and failed to advance to the NCAA Championships after making three consecutive appearances from 2008-2010.
The field for the Ann Arbor regional includes (listed by seed): 1. USC, 2. Oregon, 3. Kent State, 4. Virginia, 5. Baylor, 6. Oklahoma State, 7. Kennesaw State, 8. TCU, 9. Purdue, 10. NC State, 11. Notre Dame, 12. Ohio State, 13. Navy
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other five regional sites:
Greensboro, NC - Grandover Resort
1. Auburn, 2. UNLV, 3. Florida, 4. Duke, 5. Indiana, 6. Liberty, 7. SMU, 8. Texas Tech, 9. Tulsa, 10. Lamar, 11. LA Lafayette, 12. Charlotte, 13. George Washington, 14. Mount St. Mary's
Athens, GA - University of Georgia Golf Course
1. Alabama, 2. North Florida, 3. New Mexico, 4. Georgia, 5. Iowa, 6. East Carolina, 7. Long Beach State, 8. Augusta State, 9. Wake Forest, 10. Houston, 11. Texas-Arlington, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. Loyola (Md.).
Bowling Green, KY - The Club at Olde Stone
1. UCLA, 2. Arkansas, 3. Texas A&M, 4. Clemson, 5. North Texas, 6. Chattanooga, 7. Memphis, 8. Virginia Tech, 9. Northwestern, 10. Iowa State, 11. Colorado State, 12. Jacksonville State, 13. Pennsylvania, 14. Alabama State.
Norman, OK - Justin Austin OU Golf Club
1. Texas, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Washington, 4. Florida State, 5. Oklahoma, 6. St. Mary's, 7. Illinois, 8. Middle Tennessee, 9. South Carolina, 10. San Diego, 11. Arizona, 12. Sacramento State, 13. IUPUI, 14. Loyola (Ill.)
Stanford, CA - Stanford Golf Course
1. California, 2. Stanford, 3. San Diego State, 4. UCF, 5. LSU, 6. UAB, 7. Wichita State, 8. Tennessee, 9. Oregon State, 10. SE Louisiana, 11. San Francisco, 12. San Jose State, 13. UC Davis
Nicholson Shines On and Off Water at UVAWomen's Rowing5/25/17Allie Nicholson, who had never rowed before arriving at UVA in 2013, is now a key member of one of the nation's top programs.'Hoos Eager to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hoos Start Play at NCAA Championships on Friday
M. Golf | 5/25/2017
The Virginia men’s golf team opens play at the NCAA Championships Friday, at Rich Harvest...
Hoos Advance to NCAA Championships for 17th Time
M. Golf | 5/17/2017
UVA advances to the NCAA Championships after finishing fourth at the Baton Rouge regional site
Hoos in Third Place After 36 Holes at NCAA Regional
M. Golf | 5/16/2017
The No. 18 Virginia men’s golf team is in third place at the NCAA Regional site in Baton...
Walker’s 67 Leads Hoos on First Day of Regional Play
M. Golf | 5/15/2017
The No. 18 Cavaliers are in second place after the opening round at the NCAA Regional in Baton...
UVa Men’s Golfers Open NCAA Regional Play Monday
M. Golf | 5/14/2017
The No. 18 Virginia men’s golf team opens play at the NCAA Regional in Baton Rouge, La., on...
Bard and Stanger Earn Men’s Golf All-ACC Honors
M. Golf | 5/11/2017
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today Virginia senior men’s golfers Derek Bard (New...
UVA Men’s Golf Receives No. 3 Seed for NCAA Regional
M. Golf | 05/04/2017
For the 10th consecutive year the Virginia men’s golf team has received a bid to the NCAA...
Stanger Named a Semifinalist for Jack Nicklaus Award
M. Golf | 05/03/2017
Virginia senior golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) has been named a semifinalist for the 2017...
- Online Stores