Charlottesville, VA - For the fifth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number four seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site at Ann Arbor, Mich., at the University of Michigan Golf Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 17-19 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 29 to June 3 at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
The Cavaliers enter postseason play ranked No. 19 by Golfstat and No. 21 by Golfweek.
The regional berth marks the 16th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were eighth at a regional site in Radford, Va., and failed to advance to the NCAA Championships after making three consecutive appearances from 2008-2010.
The field for the Ann Arbor regional includes (listed by seed): 1. USC, 2. Oregon, 3. Kent State, 4. Virginia, 5. Baylor, 6. Oklahoma State, 7. Kennesaw State, 8. TCU, 9. Purdue, 10. NC State, 11. Notre Dame, 12. Ohio State, 13. Navy
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other five regional sites:
Greensboro, NC - Grandover Resort
1. Auburn, 2. UNLV, 3. Florida, 4. Duke, 5. Indiana, 6. Liberty, 7. SMU, 8. Texas Tech, 9. Tulsa, 10. Lamar, 11. LA Lafayette, 12. Charlotte, 13. George Washington, 14. Mount St. Mary's
Athens, GA - University of Georgia Golf Course
1. Alabama, 2. North Florida, 3. New Mexico, 4. Georgia, 5. Iowa, 6. East Carolina, 7. Long Beach State, 8. Augusta State, 9. Wake Forest, 10. Houston, 11. Texas-Arlington, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. Loyola (Md.).
Bowling Green, KY - The Club at Olde Stone
1. UCLA, 2. Arkansas, 3. Texas A&M, 4. Clemson, 5. North Texas, 6. Chattanooga, 7. Memphis, 8. Virginia Tech, 9. Northwestern, 10. Iowa State, 11. Colorado State, 12. Jacksonville State, 13. Pennsylvania, 14. Alabama State.
Norman, OK - Justin Austin OU Golf Club
1. Texas, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Washington, 4. Florida State, 5. Oklahoma, 6. St. Mary's, 7. Illinois, 8. Middle Tennessee, 9. South Carolina, 10. San Diego, 11. Arizona, 12. Sacramento State, 13. IUPUI, 14. Loyola (Ill.)
Stanford, CA - Stanford Golf Course
1. California, 2. Stanford, 3. San Diego State, 4. UCF, 5. LSU, 6. UAB, 7. Wichita State, 8. Tennessee, 9. Oregon State, 10. SE Louisiana, 11. San Francisco, 12. San Jose State, 13. UC Davis
Slumping Cavaliers Look to RegroupMen's Basketball2/19/17No. 14 Virginia (18-8, 8-6) will try to end a three-game losing streak Monday night when ACC rival Miami (18-8, 8-6) visit John Paul Jones Arena.Kwiatkowski Sets Standard On and Off CourtMen's Tennis2/16/17Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, one of top-ranked Virginia's best players, also has distinguished himself in the McIntire School of Commerce.Grueling Stretch Continues for 'HoosMen's Basketball2/16/17No. 14 Virginia, which lost Wednesday night to No. 12 Duke at JPJ, meets No. 10 North Carolina in Chapel Hill on Saturday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hoos Capture Burns for Fourth Win of Season
M. Golf | 2/17/2017
The No. 4 Virginia men’s golf team led wire-to-wire at the John Burns Intercollegiate in...
Hoos Remain in First Place at Burns Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 2/16/2017
The No. 4 Virginia men’s golf team stayed atop the leaderboard following the second round...
Stanger Posts School Record 62 at Burns Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 2/15/2017
Fueled by a school-record individual performance, the No. 4 Virginia men’s golf team jumped...
No. 4 Cavaliers Open Spring at John Burns Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 2/14/2017
The fourth-ranked Virginia men’s golf team opens the spring portion of its schedule this...
Stanger to Play in PGA Tour’s Valspar Championship
M. Golf | 2/9/2017
Virginia senior men’s golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) has plans to turn professional...
Jimmy Stanger Named to Ben Hogan Award Watch List
M. Golf | 2/8/2017
Virginia senior golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla) has been named to the 2017 Ben Hogan Award...
Walker Wins South Beach International Amateur
M. Golf | 12/22/2016
Virginia junior Danny Walker (Bradenton, Fla.) fired his second straight 4-under par 67 on...
Stanger Headed to Walker Cup Practices
M. Golf | 12/13/2016
Virginia senior golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) heads to California this week as one of 16...
- Online Stores