Charlottesville, VA - For the fifth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number four seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site at Ann Arbor, Mich., at the University of Michigan Golf Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 17-19 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 29 to June 3 at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
The Cavaliers enter postseason play ranked No. 19 by Golfstat and No. 21 by Golfweek.
The regional berth marks the 16th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were eighth at a regional site in Radford, Va., and failed to advance to the NCAA Championships after making three consecutive appearances from 2008-2010.
The field for the Ann Arbor regional includes (listed by seed): 1. USC, 2. Oregon, 3. Kent State, 4. Virginia, 5. Baylor, 6. Oklahoma State, 7. Kennesaw State, 8. TCU, 9. Purdue, 10. NC State, 11. Notre Dame, 12. Ohio State, 13. Navy
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other five regional sites:
Greensboro, NC - Grandover Resort
1. Auburn, 2. UNLV, 3. Florida, 4. Duke, 5. Indiana, 6. Liberty, 7. SMU, 8. Texas Tech, 9. Tulsa, 10. Lamar, 11. LA Lafayette, 12. Charlotte, 13. George Washington, 14. Mount St. Mary's
Athens, GA - University of Georgia Golf Course
1. Alabama, 2. North Florida, 3. New Mexico, 4. Georgia, 5. Iowa, 6. East Carolina, 7. Long Beach State, 8. Augusta State, 9. Wake Forest, 10. Houston, 11. Texas-Arlington, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. Loyola (Md.).
Bowling Green, KY - The Club at Olde Stone
1. UCLA, 2. Arkansas, 3. Texas A&M, 4. Clemson, 5. North Texas, 6. Chattanooga, 7. Memphis, 8. Virginia Tech, 9. Northwestern, 10. Iowa State, 11. Colorado State, 12. Jacksonville State, 13. Pennsylvania, 14. Alabama State.
Norman, OK - Justin Austin OU Golf Club
1. Texas, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Washington, 4. Florida State, 5. Oklahoma, 6. St. Mary's, 7. Illinois, 8. Middle Tennessee, 9. South Carolina, 10. San Diego, 11. Arizona, 12. Sacramento State, 13. IUPUI, 14. Loyola (Ill.)
Stanford, CA - Stanford Golf Course
1. California, 2. Stanford, 3. San Diego State, 4. UCF, 5. LSU, 6. UAB, 7. Wichita State, 8. Tennessee, 9. Oregon State, 10. SE Louisiana, 11. San Francisco, 12. San Jose State, 13. UC Davis
Cavalier Football Notebook: Duke WeekFootball9/29/16Sophomore Olamide Zaccheaus is the leading receiver for Virginia, which opens ACC play Saturday afternoon against Duke in Durham, N.C.Conte's Impact Continues to GrowFootball9/28/16In his second year as a Virginia starter, graduate student Nicholas Conte (44.2-yard average) ranks among the nation's top punters.Spirit of '76 Unites Basketball FamilyMen's Basketball9/27/16At the Virginia men's basketball reunion, the spotlight was on the 1975-76 team and the legacy of former head coach Terry Holland.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hoos Finish Sixth at Inverness Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 9/20/2016
In its second tournament of the season, the Virginia men’s golf team tied for sixth at the ...
Hoos in Seventh Place at Inverness Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 9/19/2016
The Virginia men’s golf team finished the first day of the Inverness Intercollegiate in...
UVA Travels to Toledo for Inverness Intercollegiate
M. Golf | 9/18/2016
The No. 14 Virginia men’s golf team returns to action Monday when the Cavaliers compete in ...
Hoos Win Carpet Capital Collegiate with Record Score
M. Golf | 9/11/2016
– The Virginia men’s golf team used a strong finish during its back nine Sunday to...
Hoos Hold Lead After 36 Holes at Carpet Capital Collegiate
M. Golf | 9/10/2016
After shooting 12-under 276 to open the Carpet Capital Collegiate in Dalton, Ga., the UVA menR...
Hoos Share First Round Lead at Carpet Capital Collegiate
M. Golf | 9/9/2016
The Virginia men’s golf team opened its season in impressive fashion, shooting 12-under 276...
Cavaliers Open Season at Carpet Capital Collegiate
M. Golf | 09/08/2016
The No. 14 Virginia men’s golf team will start its 2016-17 season this weekend at the...
Stanger Bows Out in Round of 16 at U.S. Amateur
M. Golf | 08/18/2016
Virginia senior men’s golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) reached the round of 16 at the...
- Online Stores