Charlottesville, VA - For the fifth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number four seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site at Ann Arbor, Mich., at the University of Michigan Golf Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 17-19 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 29 to June 3 at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
The Cavaliers enter postseason play ranked No. 19 by Golfstat and No. 21 by Golfweek.
The regional berth marks the 16th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were eighth at a regional site in Radford, Va., and failed to advance to the NCAA Championships after making three consecutive appearances from 2008-2010.
The field for the Ann Arbor regional includes (listed by seed): 1. USC, 2. Oregon, 3. Kent State, 4. Virginia, 5. Baylor, 6. Oklahoma State, 7. Kennesaw State, 8. TCU, 9. Purdue, 10. NC State, 11. Notre Dame, 12. Ohio State, 13. Navy
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other five regional sites:
Greensboro, NC - Grandover Resort
1. Auburn, 2. UNLV, 3. Florida, 4. Duke, 5. Indiana, 6. Liberty, 7. SMU, 8. Texas Tech, 9. Tulsa, 10. Lamar, 11. LA Lafayette, 12. Charlotte, 13. George Washington, 14. Mount St. Mary's
Athens, GA - University of Georgia Golf Course
1. Alabama, 2. North Florida, 3. New Mexico, 4. Georgia, 5. Iowa, 6. East Carolina, 7. Long Beach State, 8. Augusta State, 9. Wake Forest, 10. Houston, 11. Texas-Arlington, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. Loyola (Md.).
Bowling Green, KY - The Club at Olde Stone
1. UCLA, 2. Arkansas, 3. Texas A&M, 4. Clemson, 5. North Texas, 6. Chattanooga, 7. Memphis, 8. Virginia Tech, 9. Northwestern, 10. Iowa State, 11. Colorado State, 12. Jacksonville State, 13. Pennsylvania, 14. Alabama State.
Norman, OK - Justin Austin OU Golf Club
1. Texas, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Washington, 4. Florida State, 5. Oklahoma, 6. St. Mary's, 7. Illinois, 8. Middle Tennessee, 9. South Carolina, 10. San Diego, 11. Arizona, 12. Sacramento State, 13. IUPUI, 14. Loyola (Ill.)
Stanford, CA - Stanford Golf Course
1. California, 2. Stanford, 3. San Diego State, 4. UCF, 5. LSU, 6. UAB, 7. Wichita State, 8. Tennessee, 9. Oregon State, 10. SE Louisiana, 11. San Francisco, 12. San Jose State, 13. UC Davis
Paulsons Eager to Help Elevate UVA WrestlingWrestling7/25/17UVA head coach Steve Garland's new assistants are twins Travis and Trent Paulson, former standouts at Iowa State.Sky's the Limit for UVA Pole VaulterTrack & Field, Cross Country7/20/17Jeff Jernigan, who over the course of his UVA career became one of the ACC's top pole vaulters, was commissioned in the U.S. Navy in May.Graduate Transfers Bolster Offensive LineFootball7/18/17Graduate transfers John Montelus and Brandon Pertile will compete for starting jobs on the offensive line when UVA opens training camp late this month.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ashton Poole Becomes Third Hoo to Reach U.S. Amateur
M. Golf | 7/25/2017
UVA sophomore Ashton Poole (Charlotte, N.C.) survived a 4-hole playoff to earn a spot to the 2017...
Hoos Dominate All-State Golf Team
M. Golf | 7/11/2017
Virginia head men’s golf coach Bowen Sargent has been named Coach of the Year by the...
Stanger Named Men’s Golf ACC Scholar-Athlete of the Year
M. Golf | 6/26/2017
Jimmy Stanger has been recognized as the 2017 ACC Men's Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
Stanger and Sargent Top VaSID Golf Honors
M. Golf | 6/23/2017
Virginia senior Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) and Cavalier head coach Bowen Sargent were the...
Bard & Walsh Join Stanger on PING All-America Team
M. Golf | 6/22/2017
Virginia men’s golfers Derek Bard (New Hartford, N.Y.) and Thomas Walsh (High Point, N.C.) ...
Stanger and Bard Named to Golfweek All-America Teams
M. Golf | 6/14/2017
Virginia senior men’s golfers Jimmy Stanger (New Hartford, N.Y.) and Derek Bard (New...
Stanger Helps U.S. Team Win Arnold Palmer Cup
M. Golf | 06/11/2017
Recent UVA graduate Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.), helped the United States reclaim the Arnold...
Former Cavalier Derek Bard Wins Monroe Invitational
M. Golf | 06/10/2017
Former Virginia men’s golfer Derek Bard took top honors at the 77th-annual Monroe...
- Online Stores