Charlottesville, VA -
For the fourth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number four seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site at the Pete Dye River Course in Blacksburg, Va.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 19-21 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 31 to June 5 at Karsten Creek in Stillwater, Okla.
The Cavaliers enter postseason play ranked No. 21 by Golfstat and No. 17 by Golfweek.
The regional berth marks the 15th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were fifth at a regional site at The Course at Yale in New Haven, Conn. and went on to an 11th-place finish at the NCAA Championships.
The field for the Blacksburg regional includes (listed by seed): 1. Georgia Tech, 2. LSU, 3. Duke, 4. Virginia, 5. Oklahoma, 6. Kent State, 7. Virginia Tech, 8. Ole Miss, 9. East Carolina, 10. UNC Wilmington, 11. Coastal Carolina, 12. Lamar and 13. Yale. A total of 10 individuals will also compete for a spot to advance to the NCAA Championships.
"We have our work cut out for us," said Virginia coach Bowen Sargent. "I would say this is the toughest field assembled for a regional I have seen in my seven years at UVa. We'll have to play very good golf to advance.
"The Pete Dye River Course is a ball strikers course and I think we are a good ball striking team. Whoever gets through is going to have to chip well because the greens are small and people are going to miss a lot of greens. Our guys played a practice round there this year, so they have seen it and they will know what they have to do."
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other five regional sites:
Ocala, FL - Golden Ocala Golf Club
1. Florida, 2. Augusta State, 3. Arkansas, 4. Oregon, 5. NC State, 6. UCF, 7. Baylor, 8. Kennesaw State, 9. Notre Dame, 10. Missouri, 11. SE Louisiana, 12. Jacksonville State, 13. Georgia Southern, 14. Jackson State
Zionsville, IN - Wolf Run Golf Course
1. Alabama, 2. Illinois, 3. Iowa, 4. Stanford, 5. Wake Forest, 6. Tennessee, 7. Indiana, 8. Florida State, 9. Michigan, 10. Charlotte, 11. Memphis, 12. Wichita State, 13. UM Kansas City, 14. Sacred Heart
Erie, CO - Colorado National Golf Club
1. Oklahoma State, 2. Georgia, 3. Auburn, 4. Arizona State, 5. Clemson, 6. UT Chattanooga, 7. TCU, 8. North Florida, 9. New Mexico State, 10. Northwestern, 11. Colorado State, 12. San Jose State, 13. Denver
Rancho Sante Fe, CA - The Farms Golf Club
1. UCLA, 2. Texas, 3. USC, 4. San Diego, 5. Ohio State, 6. UNLV, 7. North Texas, 8. Middle Tennessee, 9. Tulsa, 10. SMU, 11. Pacific, 12. San Francisco, 13. Cleveland State
Tucson, AZ - Tucson National Golf Resort
1. Texas A&M, 2. San Diego State, 3. Texas Tech, 4. California, 5. Liberty, 6. Washington, 7. Pepperdine, 8. Oregon State, 9. Purdue, 10. UC Davis, 11. Arizona, 12. Texas Arlington, 13. Loyola, Md., 14. Army