Mar. 31, 1997
Virginia Men's Lacrosse to Host North Carolina
HEAD COACH: Dom Starsia(Brown '74) is in his fifth season at Virginia.
CURRENT RECORD: Starsia's UVa mark stands at 52-18.
1997 RECORD: UVa is 5-2, 1-0 ACC.
LAST WEEK: Virginia played Maryland(15-14, won, 2 overtimes).
THIS WEEK: This week, UVa hosts North Carolina (Sat., Apr.. 5, at 7:30 PM, Kloeckner Stadium).
- UVa trails the Maryland series 35-24. UVa leads the VMI series 11-0. UVa leads the UNC series 30-22(including 14-11 at home). UNC won both games last year(19-18 at Chapel Hill and 13-11 at UVa in the ACC finals).
- UVa has won four of the last seven games(last win was 15-12 here in 1995). It will be the first UVa-UNC game at UVa under the lights at Kloeckner Stadium. The last four games in the series have been decided by eight goals.
- UVA's win over Maryland was just another in a recent series of close games.UVa has won the last six Terp games here at home. The last ten games in the series have been decided by 15 goals. UVa is 3-2 vs. Maryland in overtime. David Wren had a career day vs. Maryland(3+2=5), including an assist on David Curry's goal which sent the game into overtime.
- All of the ACC league games have been decided by one goal this year so far.
- Several UVa players are in UVa charts now. Doug Knight has now set the UVa career goal mark(142) The old mark was held by Kevin Pehlke in 1993. The 142 goals puts him fourth in the ACC. He became the seventh player in UVa history to top 200 points(142+69=211). His six assists against UMass is a career high for him. Michael Watson now has 128 goals(third). Knight(211, fourth) and Watson(212, third ) are now on the UVa career points list. Watson is also tied for seventh in career assists, UVa, with 84. Knight is tenth(69).
- UVa has now scored in double figures for the 38th straight time, a school mark.
- Rookie Jason Hard(Cicero/North Syracuse HS) has made a big impression already.
- He has won 99 of 154 faceoffs(64.3 %). He also leads the team in ground balls with 45. Another rookie, Drew McKnight(Norfolk Academy) has made some big numbers also, 13 goals and 12 assists in seven games, and the game winner vs. Maryland in overtime.
- UVa's next game will be at VMI(today). UVa's next home game will be April 5, against North Carolina(7:30 PM, Kloeckner Stadium). UVa will host the ACC Tournament April 18-20 for the third time in the last four seasons. UVa lost to UNC in the 1996 finals, 13-11 at Kloeckner Stadium.
Doug Knight (16+18=34)
Michael Watson (18+16=34)
Chris Sanderson (71 saves, 70 goals allowed)
David Curry (17+3=20)
Drew McKnight (13+12=25)
Jay Jalbert (9+0=9)
David Wren (12+2=14)
Tucker Radebaugh (13+5=18)
Jason Hard (99 of 154 faceoffs).
Ground balls 402-334
Clearing 175 of 210, 134 of 221
EMO goals 9-11.
Butts' Bond With Benkert GrowingFootball10/18/17A redshirt junior from the Philadelphia area, UVA tight end Evan Butts has become one of quarterback Kurt Benkert's most reliable targets.Salt Evolving Into Pivotal PresenceMen's Basketball10/17/17A redshirt junior from New Zealand, 6-11 center Jack Salt has grown into a team leader for UVA, which has made four straight NCAA tournament appearances.Cavalier Men's Basketball NotebookMen's Basketball10/16/17The season starts Nov. 10 for the Cavaliers, whose third annual Pepsi Blue-White scrimmage is Sunday afternoon at JPJ.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Tiffany Announces Men’s Lacrosse Captains for 2018
M. Lacrosse | 10/3/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse head coach Lars Tiffany announced that midfielder Ryan Conrad and...
Tiffany Welcomes the 2017 Recruiting Class
M. Lacrosse | 7/17/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse head coach Lars Tiffany welcomes the Virginia men’s lacrosse ...
Five Cavaliers Named to the All-ACC Academic Team
M. Lacrosse | 6/27/2017
Five members of the UVA men’s lacrosse team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic MenR...
Tanner Scales Named a USILA Scholar All-American
M. Lacrosse | 6/8/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse senior defenseman Tanner Scales has been named a USILA Scholar All-...
Three Cavaliers Selected in the 2017 MLL Draft
M. Lacrosse | 5/28/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse had three seniors selected in the 2017 Major League Lacrosse...
Cavaliers Place Four on the USILA All-America Team
M. Lacrosse | 5/24/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse players Dox Aitken, Ryan Conrad, Michael Kraus and Zed Williams...
Doug Knight to be Inducted into the US Lacrosse Hall of Fame
M. Lacrosse | 05/23/2017
Former Virginia men’s lacrosse attackman Doug Knight is a member of the 2017 US Lacrosse...
Kraus Named ACC Rookie of the Year
M. Lacrosse | 05/02/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse attackman Michael Kraus has been named the Atlantic Coast...
- Online Stores