Mar. 31, 1997
Virginia Men's Lacrosse to Host North Carolina
HEAD COACH: Dom Starsia(Brown '74) is in his fifth season at Virginia.
CURRENT RECORD: Starsia's UVa mark stands at 52-18.
1997 RECORD: UVa is 5-2, 1-0 ACC.
LAST WEEK: Virginia played Maryland(15-14, won, 2 overtimes).
THIS WEEK: This week, UVa hosts North Carolina (Sat., Apr.. 5, at 7:30 PM, Kloeckner Stadium).
- UVa trails the Maryland series 35-24. UVa leads the VMI series 11-0. UVa leads the UNC series 30-22(including 14-11 at home). UNC won both games last year(19-18 at Chapel Hill and 13-11 at UVa in the ACC finals).
- UVa has won four of the last seven games(last win was 15-12 here in 1995). It will be the first UVa-UNC game at UVa under the lights at Kloeckner Stadium. The last four games in the series have been decided by eight goals.
- UVA's win over Maryland was just another in a recent series of close games.UVa has won the last six Terp games here at home. The last ten games in the series have been decided by 15 goals. UVa is 3-2 vs. Maryland in overtime. David Wren had a career day vs. Maryland(3+2=5), including an assist on David Curry's goal which sent the game into overtime.
- All of the ACC league games have been decided by one goal this year so far.
- Several UVa players are in UVa charts now. Doug Knight has now set the UVa career goal mark(142) The old mark was held by Kevin Pehlke in 1993. The 142 goals puts him fourth in the ACC. He became the seventh player in UVa history to top 200 points(142+69=211). His six assists against UMass is a career high for him. Michael Watson now has 128 goals(third). Knight(211, fourth) and Watson(212, third ) are now on the UVa career points list. Watson is also tied for seventh in career assists, UVa, with 84. Knight is tenth(69).
- UVa has now scored in double figures for the 38th straight time, a school mark.
- Rookie Jason Hard(Cicero/North Syracuse HS) has made a big impression already.
- He has won 99 of 154 faceoffs(64.3 %). He also leads the team in ground balls with 45. Another rookie, Drew McKnight(Norfolk Academy) has made some big numbers also, 13 goals and 12 assists in seven games, and the game winner vs. Maryland in overtime.
- UVa's next game will be at VMI(today). UVa's next home game will be April 5, against North Carolina(7:30 PM, Kloeckner Stadium). UVa will host the ACC Tournament April 18-20 for the third time in the last four seasons. UVa lost to UNC in the 1996 finals, 13-11 at Kloeckner Stadium.
Doug Knight (16+18=34)
Michael Watson (18+16=34)
Chris Sanderson (71 saves, 70 goals allowed)
David Curry (17+3=20)
Drew McKnight (13+12=25)
Jay Jalbert (9+0=9)
David Wren (12+2=14)
Tucker Radebaugh (13+5=18)
Jason Hard (99 of 154 faceoffs).
Ground balls 402-334
Clearing 175 of 210, 134 of 221
EMO goals 9-11.
'Hoos Head Into Finals on High NoteMen's Basketball12/7/16No. 14 Virginia, which defeated East Carolina on Tuesday night, doesn't play again until Dec. 17, when Robert Morris visits JPJ.'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Lacrosse Season Tickets Now on Sale
M. Lacrosse | 11/29/2016
Season tickets for the 2017 Virginia men's and women's lacrosse seasons are now on sale. Virginia...
UVA Set to Face Cornell in Pacific Coast Shootout
M. Lacrosse | 10/18/2016
The Virginia and Cornell men’s lacrosse teams will play their 2017 regular season game...
Jeff White: Kirwan Eager to Get Up and Running
M. Lacrosse | 8/1/2016
Sean Kirwan, one of Virginia coach Lars Tiffany's new assistants, coordinated the nation's top...
Jeff White: Turner Embraces New Challenge at UVA
M. Lacrosse | 7/18/2016
Former UVA star Kip Turner is back at his alma mater as an assistant on new head coach Lars...
Lars Tiffany Announces Men's Lacrosse Coaching Staff
M. Lacrosse | 7/11/2016
Virginia men’s lacrosse head coach Lars Tiffany announced that Sean Kirwan and Kip Turner, ...
Jeff White: Tiffany Plans to Push Pace at UVA
M. Lacrosse | 6/21/2016
New head coach Lars Tiffany comes to Virginia from Brown, which went 16-3 and led the nation in...
Virginia Names Lars Tiffany Head Men's Lacrosse Coach
M. Lacrosse | 06/21/2016
Virginia athletics director Craig Littlepage announced Tuesday (June 21) that Lars Tiffany, the...
Matt Barrett Suspended for the 2017 Men’s Lacrosse Season
M. Lacrosse | 11/11/2016
Virginia men’s lacrosse head coach Lars Tiffany announced Friday, Nov. 11 that senior...
- Online Stores