Mar. 31, 1997
Virginia Men's Lacrosse to Host North Carolina
HEAD COACH: Dom Starsia(Brown '74) is in his fifth season at Virginia.
CURRENT RECORD: Starsia's UVa mark stands at 52-18.
1997 RECORD: UVa is 5-2, 1-0 ACC.
LAST WEEK: Virginia played Maryland(15-14, won, 2 overtimes).
THIS WEEK: This week, UVa hosts North Carolina (Sat., Apr.. 5, at 7:30 PM, Kloeckner Stadium).
- UVa trails the Maryland series 35-24. UVa leads the VMI series 11-0. UVa leads the UNC series 30-22(including 14-11 at home). UNC won both games last year(19-18 at Chapel Hill and 13-11 at UVa in the ACC finals).
- UVa has won four of the last seven games(last win was 15-12 here in 1995). It will be the first UVa-UNC game at UVa under the lights at Kloeckner Stadium. The last four games in the series have been decided by eight goals.
- UVA's win over Maryland was just another in a recent series of close games.UVa has won the last six Terp games here at home. The last ten games in the series have been decided by 15 goals. UVa is 3-2 vs. Maryland in overtime. David Wren had a career day vs. Maryland(3+2=5), including an assist on David Curry's goal which sent the game into overtime.
- All of the ACC league games have been decided by one goal this year so far.
- Several UVa players are in UVa charts now. Doug Knight has now set the UVa career goal mark(142) The old mark was held by Kevin Pehlke in 1993. The 142 goals puts him fourth in the ACC. He became the seventh player in UVa history to top 200 points(142+69=211). His six assists against UMass is a career high for him. Michael Watson now has 128 goals(third). Knight(211, fourth) and Watson(212, third ) are now on the UVa career points list. Watson is also tied for seventh in career assists, UVa, with 84. Knight is tenth(69).
- UVa has now scored in double figures for the 38th straight time, a school mark.
- Rookie Jason Hard(Cicero/North Syracuse HS) has made a big impression already.
- He has won 99 of 154 faceoffs(64.3 %). He also leads the team in ground balls with 45. Another rookie, Drew McKnight(Norfolk Academy) has made some big numbers also, 13 goals and 12 assists in seven games, and the game winner vs. Maryland in overtime.
- UVa's next game will be at VMI(today). UVa's next home game will be April 5, against North Carolina(7:30 PM, Kloeckner Stadium). UVa will host the ACC Tournament April 18-20 for the third time in the last four seasons. UVa lost to UNC in the 1996 finals, 13-11 at Kloeckner Stadium.
Doug Knight (16+18=34)
Michael Watson (18+16=34)
Chris Sanderson (71 saves, 70 goals allowed)
David Curry (17+3=20)
Drew McKnight (13+12=25)
Jay Jalbert (9+0=9)
David Wren (12+2=14)
Tucker Radebaugh (13+5=18)
Jason Hard (99 of 154 faceoffs).
Ground balls 402-334
Clearing 175 of 210, 134 of 221
EMO goals 9-11.
Successful Season Ends on Excruciating NoteMen's Basketball3/19/17Virginia's fourth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament ended with a 65-39 second-round loss to Florida in Orlando, Fla.'Hoos Hoping For Another Boost From ThompsonMen's Basketball3/18/17In his first start since Dec. 31, Darius Thompson played a team-high 34 minutes Thursday in Virginia's win over UNCW in the NCAA tournament's first round.Kraus Continues Family Tradition at UVAMen's Lacrosse3/17/17First there was Steve Kraus, and then Andy Kraus, and now Michael Kraus in the UVA lacrosse program. Michael, a freshman, is Virginia's second-leading scorer.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 13 UVA Falls in Overtime to No. 3 Notre Dame, 11-10
M. Lacrosse | 3/18/2017
Jeff White: Kraus Continues Family Tradition at UVA
M. Lacrosse | 3/17/2017
First came Steve Kraus and then Andy Kraus and now Michael Kraus in UVA's lacrosse program....
No. 13 UVA Hosts No. 3 Notre Dame on Saturday Night
M. Lacrosse | 3/16/2017
Williams Named ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Week
M. Lacrosse | 3/13/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse player Zed Williams was named ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Week
Williams' Overtime Goal Lifts UVA Past Cornell, 19-18
M. Lacrosse | 3/12/2017
Box Score |
UVA propelled to the Pacific Coast Shootout victory by 15 second-half goals
No. 13 UVA Faces Cornell in Pacific Coast Shootout
M. Lacrosse | 3/9/2017
No. 12 Syracuse Rallies Late to Top No. 11 UVA, 14-13
M. Lacrosse | 03/05/2017
No. 11 UVA and No. 12 Syracuse Clash Sunday in ACC Opener
M. Lacrosse | 03/03/2017
- Online Stores