Men's Lacrosse 1996 Season Recap
HEAD COACH: Dom Starsia (Brown '74) is in his fourth season at Virginia.
CURRENT RECORD: Starsia's UVa mark stands at 47-16
1996 RECORD: 12-4 overall, 1-2 ACC
IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT: Virginia played Johns Hopkins in the NCAA Semifinals(16-10 won) and Princeton (13-12, loss ot).
1996 SEASON NOTES
* UVa received a bye for only the second time in the NCAA tournament. This is UVa's 20th bid overall, more than any other school except for Johns Hopkins (25) and Maryland (21). UVa is 5-3 vs. the Ivy League in NCAA play (Brown 1-0, Princeton, 0-2, Cornell 2-1, Yale 1-0, and now Harvard 1-0). JHU leads that series 15-47-1. UVa is 7-4 vs. the NCAA field. In the JHU series, UVa trails JHU 3-7, and Princeton 0-2.
* UVa has now lost four straight final games in overtime. UVa is 5-4 in ot games in NCAA play.
* Several UVa players are in the charts now. Tim Whiteley (159 career assists, record; and first in ACC history; 244 career points, second; and third ACC). Doug Knight has broken into the top ten in goals with 126, now second; ninth ACC. Michael Watson now has 110 goals (fourth). Whiteley has now scored at least one assist in 55 games, a new UVa mark. Knight (177, seventh) and Watson (178, sixth) are now on the UVa career points list. Knight is now first, in the single season goal list 56 (and first in season points 86). Watson is third on the season goals list (49) and third on the points list (75). Whiteley is second on the assist list (49). He holds the career record (63).
* UVa has now scored in double figures for the 31st straight time, a school mark.
* The Radford game was coach Dom Starsia's 200th career game.
* UVa players figured prominently in the late-season NCAA stats(Knight leads in points and is second in goals per game and Whiteley is third in assists per game Watson is sixth in points per game and is ninth in goals per game.
* UVa set school marks for goals in a game (38 vs. VMI), margin of victory (33), goals in one period (12), and in a half (21), assists in a game (25), and ground balls (105), goals in an NCAA quarterfinal round game. Also, goals season 275, assists 178, points 451.
* The All-ACC team included Cavalier attackmen Tim Whiteley, Michael Watson, and Doug Knight, along with defender Tommy Smith. ACC All-Tournament selections for UVa were Tim Whiteley, Doug Knight, Tommy Smith, and Michael Watson.
* All-Americans were first team, Doug Knight (A), Michael Watson (A), Tommy Smith (D), Tim Whiteley (A, second team), and Honorable Mentions: David Curry (M), CJ Ginter (M), and Drew Melchionni (M). Smith, Whiteley Watson, and Smith were NCAA All Tournament team members. UVa put a man on the AA first time since 1988, and 1971 was the last time three made the first team.
* Doug Knight ws picked Best Player in men's lacrosse by CollegeSport Magazine.
INDIVIDUAL STATSDoug Knight (56+30=86) Michael Watson (49+26=75) Tim Whiteley (24+49=73) Chris Sanderson (190 saves, 161 goals allowed) Henry Oakey (23+12=35) David Curry (30+11=41) David Wren (14+5=19) Drew Melchionni (13+6=19) Tucker Radebaugh (10+7=17)
TEAM STATSGoals 275-173 shots 859-654 ground balls 938-828 faceoffs 263-230 clearing 382 of 469, 327 of 488 saves 204-285 EMO goals 31-31.
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Scott Hooper Named a USILA Scholar All-American
M. Lacrosse | 6/11/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse senior defenseman Scott Hooper has been named a USILA Scholar All-A...
Cavaliers Place Three on the USILA All-America Team
M. Lacrosse | 5/24/2018
Virginia men's lacrosse players Dox Aitken, Scott Hooper and Michael Kraus were named to the 2018...
UVA Falls in the NCAA Tournament at No. 6 Seed Loyola
M. Lacrosse | 5/13/2018
The Virginia Cavaliers (12-6) fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night at...
Jeff White: Hooper Sets Bar High On and Off Field
M. Lacrosse | 5/11/2018
Defenseman Scott Hooper is a four-year starter for Virginia, which meets No. 6 seed Loyola in the...
UVA Opens NCAA Play at No. 6 Seed Loyola on Saturday Night
M. Lacrosse | 5/10/2018
UVA Draws Road Game at Loyola in First Round of NCAA...
M. Lacrosse | 5/6/2018
Virginia has received an at-large bid to the 2018 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship and will...
Matt Moore Named ACC Freshman of the Year
M. Lacrosse | 05/02/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse midfielder Matt Moore has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference&...
No. 9 UVA Cruises Past In-State Foe VMI, 17-8
M. Lacrosse | 05/01/2018
The No. 9 Virginia Cavaliers (12-5) cruised past the VMI Keydets (2-11) on Tuesday night, 17-8, ...
- Online Stores