Men's Lacrosse 1996 Season Recap
HEAD COACH: Dom Starsia (Brown '74) is in his fourth season at Virginia.
CURRENT RECORD: Starsia's UVa mark stands at 47-16
1996 RECORD: 12-4 overall, 1-2 ACC
IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT: Virginia played Johns Hopkins in the NCAA Semifinals(16-10 won) and Princeton (13-12, loss ot).
1996 SEASON NOTES
* UVa received a bye for only the second time in the NCAA tournament. This is UVa's 20th bid overall, more than any other school except for Johns Hopkins (25) and Maryland (21). UVa is 5-3 vs. the Ivy League in NCAA play (Brown 1-0, Princeton, 0-2, Cornell 2-1, Yale 1-0, and now Harvard 1-0). JHU leads that series 15-47-1. UVa is 7-4 vs. the NCAA field. In the JHU series, UVa trails JHU 3-7, and Princeton 0-2.
* UVa has now lost four straight final games in overtime. UVa is 5-4 in ot games in NCAA play.
* Several UVa players are in the charts now. Tim Whiteley (159 career assists, record; and first in ACC history; 244 career points, second; and third ACC). Doug Knight has broken into the top ten in goals with 126, now second; ninth ACC. Michael Watson now has 110 goals (fourth). Whiteley has now scored at least one assist in 55 games, a new UVa mark. Knight (177, seventh) and Watson (178, sixth) are now on the UVa career points list. Knight is now first, in the single season goal list 56 (and first in season points 86). Watson is third on the season goals list (49) and third on the points list (75). Whiteley is second on the assist list (49). He holds the career record (63).
* UVa has now scored in double figures for the 31st straight time, a school mark.
* The Radford game was coach Dom Starsia's 200th career game.
* UVa players figured prominently in the late-season NCAA stats(Knight leads in points and is second in goals per game and Whiteley is third in assists per game Watson is sixth in points per game and is ninth in goals per game.
* UVa set school marks for goals in a game (38 vs. VMI), margin of victory (33), goals in one period (12), and in a half (21), assists in a game (25), and ground balls (105), goals in an NCAA quarterfinal round game. Also, goals season 275, assists 178, points 451.
* The All-ACC team included Cavalier attackmen Tim Whiteley, Michael Watson, and Doug Knight, along with defender Tommy Smith. ACC All-Tournament selections for UVa were Tim Whiteley, Doug Knight, Tommy Smith, and Michael Watson.
* All-Americans were first team, Doug Knight (A), Michael Watson (A), Tommy Smith (D), Tim Whiteley (A, second team), and Honorable Mentions: David Curry (M), CJ Ginter (M), and Drew Melchionni (M). Smith, Whiteley Watson, and Smith were NCAA All Tournament team members. UVa put a man on the AA first time since 1988, and 1971 was the last time three made the first team.
* Doug Knight ws picked Best Player in men's lacrosse by CollegeSport Magazine.
INDIVIDUAL STATSDoug Knight (56+30=86) Michael Watson (49+26=75) Tim Whiteley (24+49=73) Chris Sanderson (190 saves, 161 goals allowed) Henry Oakey (23+12=35) David Curry (30+11=41) David Wren (14+5=19) Drew Melchionni (13+6=19) Tucker Radebaugh (10+7=17)
TEAM STATSGoals 275-173 shots 859-654 ground balls 938-828 faceoffs 263-230 clearing 382 of 469, 327 of 488 saves 204-285 EMO goals 31-31.
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
ACC Tournament Host Earns No. 4 Seed
M. Lacrosse | 4/21/2018
The Virginia Cavaliers (10-4, 1-3 ACC) have earned the No. 4 seed in the 2018 ACC Tournament and ...
No. 13 UVA Outlasts Vermont on Saturday, 10-9
M. Lacrosse | 4/21/2018
Michael Kraus returns home and scores game-winning goal in the IMLCA Game of the Week.
No. 13 UVA and Vermont Meet Saturday in Connecticut
M. Lacrosse | 4/19/2018
Hooper Selected by Charlotte in the Fourth Round of the 2018...
M. Lacrosse | 4/18/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse defenseman Scott Hooper was selected in the 2018 Major League...
Jeff White: Kraus Sparkles Even in Defeat
M. Lacrosse | 4/14/2018
Sophomore attackman Michael Kraus had four goals and five assists -- both team highs -- in No. 10...
No. 3 Duke Outlasts No. 10 UVA, 18-13
M. Lacrosse | 4/14/2018
The No. 3 Duke Blue Devils (11-2, 3-1 ACC) outlasted the No. 10 Virginia Cavaliers (9-3, 1-3 ACC)...
No. 10 UVA hosts No. 3 Duke Saturday for Senior Day
M. Lacrosse | 04/12/2018
Virginia Announces Wahoowa Weekend for April 27-29
M. Lacrosse | 04/10/2018
The Virginia athletics department announced the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend today that is scheduled...
- Online Stores