"Co-winner of our 2017 Most Improved Player award, Griffin certainly earned this honor. The confidence he brought to the crease increased with each game and Griffin eventually became our starting goalie midway through the season. That first start, against Notre Dame, was a microcosm of his first-year - a slow beginning followed by a bold finish. With Kip Turner’s training, Griffin is emerging before our eyes into a reliable stopper."
• Appeared in nine of UVA's 18 games, making six starts
• Posted a 4-0 record between the pipes
• Made 53 saves and faced 204 shots
• Record a season-best 15 saves in the opener against Loyola
• Named ACC Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts against Loyola in the season-opening win
• Picked up 21 ground balls on the season and caused one turnover
• Appeared in 11 of UVA's 15 games with seven starts
• Made collegiate debut against Drexel
• Made 103 saves and faced 353 shots
• Came on in the second half of the Cornell to pick up first career goalie win as UVA won in overtime
• Made 18 saves against Robert Morris
• The 18 saves against Robert Morris tied the program record for saves by a freshman keeper
• He shares the record with three other Cavaliers (Rodney Rullman, twice, and Tillman Johnson)
• Four-year letterwinner at The Lawrenceville School
• Missed junior season with an injury
• Made 530 career saves
• Posted a 3.83 goals against average
• Also played varsity soccer and indoor track
• Played junior varsity ice hockey
• Son of Newell and Sarah Thompson
• Has a younger brother, Miles, and a younger sister, Nina
• Plays the guitar
• Volunteer coach at the Lawrenceville School lacrosse camps for two summers
• Volunteer coach for Blue Star Lacrosse during the summer of 2016
UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall and WilliamsGeneral Release5/17/18Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with head football coach Bronco Mendenhall.Lillie Helps Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceWomen's Golf5/16/18Beth Lillie, one of four freshmen named to the All-ACC team, is second in scoring average for UVA, which plays in the NCAA championships this week.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Falls in the NCAA Tournament at No. 6 Seed Loyola
M. Lacrosse | 5/13/2018
The Virginia Cavaliers (12-6) fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night at...
Jeff White: Hooper Sets Bar High On and Off Field
M. Lacrosse | 5/11/2018
Defenseman Scott Hooper is a four-year starter for Virginia, which meets No. 6 seed Loyola in the...
UVA Opens NCAA Play at No. 6 Seed Loyola on Saturday Night
M. Lacrosse | 5/10/2018
UVA Draws Road Game at Loyola in First Round of NCAA...
M. Lacrosse | 5/6/2018
Virginia has received an at-large bid to the 2018 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship and will...
Matt Moore Named ACC Freshman of the Year
M. Lacrosse | 5/2/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse midfielder Matt Moore has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference&...
No. 9 UVA Cruises Past In-State Foe VMI, 17-8
M. Lacrosse | 5/1/2018
The No. 9 Virginia Cavaliers (12-5) cruised past the VMI Keydets (2-11) on Tuesday night, 17-8, ...
Jeff White: Weekend Ends on Disappointing Note
M. Lacrosse | 04/29/2018
Virginia plays once more before the NCAA field is announced next Sunday night. UVA (11-5) hosts...
No. 9 UVA Hosts In-State Foe VMI on Tuesday
M. Lacrosse | 05/01/2018
- Online Stores