"Co-winner of our 2017 Most Improved Player award, Griffin certainly earned this honor. The confidence he brought to the crease increased with each game and Griffin eventually became our starting goalie midway through the season. That first start, against Notre Dame, was a microcosm of his first-year - a slow beginning followed by a bold finish. With Kip Turner’s training, Griffin is emerging before our eyes into a reliable stopper."
• Appeared in 11 of UVA's 15 games with seven starts
• Made collegiate debut against Drexel
• Made 103 saves and faced 353 shots
• Came on in the second half of the Cornell to pick up first career goalie win as UVA won in overtime
• Made 18 saves against Robert Morris
• The 18 saves against Robert Morris tied the program record for saves by a freshman keeper
• He shares the record with three other Cavaliers (Rodney Rullman, twice, and Tillman Johnson)
• Four-year letterwinner at The Lawrenceville School
• Missed junior season with an injury
• Made 530 career saves
• Posted a 3.83 goals against average
• Also played varsity soccer and indoor track
• Played junior varsity ice hockey
• Son of Newell and Sarah Thompson
• Has a younger brother, Miles, and a younger sister, Nina
• Plays the guitar
• Volunteer coach at the Lawrenceville School lacrosse camps for two summers
• Volunteer coach for Blue Star Lacrosse during the summer of 2016
No. 1 Cavaliers Reach Another MilestoneMen's Basketball2/22/18Top-ranked Virginia clinched the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament Tuesday night with a hard-earned victory over Georgia Tech at John Paul Jones Arena.New Era Begins for Davenport FieldBaseball2/21/18The expanded Davenport Field was unveiled Tuesday, and a crowd of 3,709, the largest ever for a UVA home opener, turned out for the game.Davenport Field Ready for UnveilingBaseball2/20/18No. 15 Virginia hosts VMI at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Davenport Field, which has been expanded and upgraded since the end of last season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 6 UVA Renews Rivalry with Princeton on Saturday
M. Lacrosse | 2/22/2018
No. 6 UVA Snatches Road Win at High Point, 18-12
M. Lacrosse | 2/20/2018
Kraus leads UVA with five goals and seven points
No. 6 UVA Heads to High Point for a Tuesday-Night Clash
M. Lacrosse | 2/19/2018
Aitken Leads No. 11 UVA Over Drexel, 13-8
M. Lacrosse | 2/17/2018
Sophomore midfielder scores four goals in Cavalier win
No. 11 Virginia Travels to Drexel on Saturday
M. Lacrosse | 2/15/2018
UVA Sweeps ACC Player of the Week Honors
M. Lacrosse | 2/12/2018
Laviano and Thompson honored for their play against then-No. 13 Loyola, helping the Cavaliers win...
Jeff White: Newcomer Provides Boost on Faceoffs
M. Lacrosse | 02/11/2018
A transfer from Monmouth, Justin Schwenk won 16 of 26 faceoffs Saturday in Virginia's season-open...
Aitken’s Goal Lifts UVA Over No. 13 Loyola in 2OT, 13-12
M. Lacrosse | 02/10/2018
Ian Laviano leads Cavaliers in collegiate debut with five goals and one assist to help the UVA...
- Online Stores