TIFFANY ON FRENCH
“Is his volume ever muted? How does one man lift an entire practice with his voice and play? Join us for a practice you will witness this inspiring player. Joe’s infectious attitude and energy speaks volumes about his character, as well as the pure joy he experiences playing the game of lacrosse. A talented inside player, Joe executes the two-man game as well as anyone due to his extensive playing history in the box.”
• Drafted in the 10th round (84th overall) of the 2017 MLL Draft by the Chesapeake Bayhawks
• Appeared in all 15 games with 13 starts
• Scored 19 goals at attack
• Finished No. 8 on the team with 24 points
• Scored a season-high four goals and five points against Cleveland State
• Tallied hat-tricks against Siena, High Point and Robert Morris
• Appeared in 14 of UVA's 15 games with one start
• Saw most of his time on extra-man
• Finished season with seven goals
• Made first collegiate start at Drexel and scored one goal
• Scored an extra-man goal against Saint Joseph’s
• Scored once at Cornell
• Appeared in 11 of UVa's 15 games
• Suffered a thumb injury that kept him out of four games
• Scored four goals and picked up seven ground balls
• Caused two turnovers
• Scored once at No. 7 Loyola (Feb. 7)
• Recorded a hat trick at VMI (March 24)
• Recognized on ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Appeared in four of UVa's 16 games
• Made collegiate debut at Richmond (Feb. 8)
• Scored first career goal at Mount St. Mary's (Feb. 25)
• Scored a career-high four goals against VMI (March 24)
• Tallied first two career assists against the Keydets for a career-high six points
• Also saw time against Rutgers (Feb. 22)
• Picked up one ground ball
• Listed as the No. 5 post-grad recruit in the country by Inside Lacrosse
• Rated the No. 1 post-grad attackman in the country by Inside Lacrosse
• Scored 42 points against stiff New England West I competition
• Posted 35 goals and seven assists while earning All-League Western New England Division I
• Member of Canada's U-19 squad that took the silver medal in 2012 in Finland
• Was the youngest attackman on Canada's U-19 team
• Was a two-time leading scorer for St. Michael's
• Won two Ontario High School gold medals with St. Michael's and was a two-time captain
• Won two Canadian national championships with Team Ontario
• Recipient of the Enzo Montemurro Award for sportsmanship, school spirit and athletics
• Played football at St. Michael's where he was a running back and linebacker on the 2009 Ontario Metro Bowl championship team
• Was the 2010 Western Ontario Football MVP
• Son of Dean and Jane French
• Has a brother, Ben, and a sister, Emily
• Likes to sleep with his lacrosse stick the nights before games
• Played with fellow second-year Alec Webster at Deerfield in 2013
Johnson Eager to Make Mark as CavalierMen's Basketball8/23/17The addition of graduate student Nigel Johnson, who averaged 11.3 points for Rutgers last season, strengthens UVA's backcourt.New Coaches Welcomed Into Cavaliers' FoldWomen's Rowing8/18/17Virginia's rowing team heads into 2017-18 with two new coaches: associate head coach Emily Ford and assistant Erin Neppel.Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Tiffany Welcomes the 2017 Recruiting Class
M. Lacrosse | 7/17/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse head coach Lars Tiffany welcomes the Virginia men’s lacrosse ...
Five Cavaliers Named to the All-ACC Academic Team
M. Lacrosse | 6/27/2017
Five members of the UVA men’s lacrosse team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic MenR...
Tanner Scales Named a USILA Scholar All-American
M. Lacrosse | 6/8/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse senior defenseman Tanner Scales has been named a USILA Scholar All-...
Three Cavaliers Selected in the 2017 MLL Draft
M. Lacrosse | 5/28/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse had three seniors selected in the 2017 Major League Lacrosse...
Cavaliers Place Four on the USILA All-America Team
M. Lacrosse | 5/24/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse players Dox Aitken, Ryan Conrad, Michael Kraus and Zed Williams...
Doug Knight to be Inducted into the US Lacrosse Hall of Fame
M. Lacrosse | 5/23/2017
Former Virginia men’s lacrosse attackman Doug Knight is a member of the 2017 US Lacrosse...
Kraus Named ACC Rookie of the Year
M. Lacrosse | 05/02/2017
Virginia men’s lacrosse attackman Michael Kraus has been named the Atlantic Coast...
Cavaliers Fall to Penn in ACC Showcase Game
M. Lacrosse | 04/29/2017
All six of UVA's offensive starters scored at least one goal in loss
- Online Stores