TIFFANY ON FRENCH
“Is his volume ever muted? How does one man lift an entire practice with his voice and play? Join us for a practice you will witness this inspiring player. Joe’s infectious attitude and energy speaks volumes about his character, as well as the pure joy he experiences playing the game of lacrosse. A talented inside player, Joe executes the two-man game as well as anyone due to his extensive playing history in the box.”
• Drafted in the 10th round (84th overall) of the 2017 MLL Draft by the Chesapeake Bayhawks
• Appeared in all 15 games with 13 starts
• Scored 19 goals at attack
• Finished No. 8 on the team with 24 points
• Scored a season-high four goals and five points against Cleveland State
• Tallied hat-tricks against Siena, High Point and Robert Morris
• Appeared in 14 of UVA's 15 games with one start
• Saw most of his time on extra-man
• Finished season with seven goals
• Made first collegiate start at Drexel and scored one goal
• Scored an extra-man goal against Saint Joseph’s
• Scored once at Cornell
• Appeared in 11 of UVa's 15 games
• Suffered a thumb injury that kept him out of four games
• Scored four goals and picked up seven ground balls
• Caused two turnovers
• Scored once at No. 7 Loyola (Feb. 7)
• Recorded a hat trick at VMI (March 24)
• Recognized on ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Appeared in four of UVa's 16 games
• Made collegiate debut at Richmond (Feb. 8)
• Scored first career goal at Mount St. Mary's (Feb. 25)
• Scored a career-high four goals against VMI (March 24)
• Tallied first two career assists against the Keydets for a career-high six points
• Also saw time against Rutgers (Feb. 22)
• Picked up one ground ball
• Listed as the No. 5 post-grad recruit in the country by Inside Lacrosse
• Rated the No. 1 post-grad attackman in the country by Inside Lacrosse
• Scored 42 points against stiff New England West I competition
• Posted 35 goals and seven assists while earning All-League Western New England Division I
• Member of Canada's U-19 squad that took the silver medal in 2012 in Finland
• Was the youngest attackman on Canada's U-19 team
• Was a two-time leading scorer for St. Michael's
• Won two Ontario High School gold medals with St. Michael's and was a two-time captain
• Won two Canadian national championships with Team Ontario
• Recipient of the Enzo Montemurro Award for sportsmanship, school spirit and athletics
• Played football at St. Michael's where he was a running back and linebacker on the 2009 Ontario Metro Bowl championship team
• Was the 2010 Western Ontario Football MVP
• Son of Dean and Jane French
• Has a brother, Ben, and a sister, Emily
• Likes to sleep with his lacrosse stick the nights before games
• Played with fellow second-year Alec Webster at Deerfield in 2013
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Scott Hooper Named a USILA Scholar All-American
M. Lacrosse | 6/11/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse senior defenseman Scott Hooper has been named a USILA Scholar All-A...
Cavaliers Place Three on the USILA All-America Team
M. Lacrosse | 5/24/2018
Virginia men's lacrosse players Dox Aitken, Scott Hooper and Michael Kraus were named to the 2018...
UVA Falls in the NCAA Tournament at No. 6 Seed Loyola
M. Lacrosse | 5/13/2018
The Virginia Cavaliers (12-6) fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night at...
Jeff White: Hooper Sets Bar High On and Off Field
M. Lacrosse | 5/11/2018
Defenseman Scott Hooper is a four-year starter for Virginia, which meets No. 6 seed Loyola in the...
UVA Opens NCAA Play at No. 6 Seed Loyola on Saturday Night
M. Lacrosse | 5/10/2018
UVA Draws Road Game at Loyola in First Round of NCAA...
M. Lacrosse | 5/6/2018
Virginia has received an at-large bid to the 2018 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship and will...
Matt Moore Named ACC Freshman of the Year
M. Lacrosse | 05/02/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse midfielder Matt Moore has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference&...
No. 9 UVA Cruises Past In-State Foe VMI, 17-8
M. Lacrosse | 05/01/2018
The No. 9 Virginia Cavaliers (12-5) cruised past the VMI Keydets (2-11) on Tuesday night, 17-8, ...
- Online Stores