“Joining us this year after transferring in from Monmouth, Justin is filling a critical role for our program. As a faceoff specialist, Justin embraces the grind. He enjoys the one-on-one battles at the X despite the physical punishment it brings. Actually, Justin’s physicality is one of his strongest attributes as he combines good hand speed with noteworthy power. The team has embraced Justin swiftly and we are fortunate to have him with us.”
• Appeared in 17 of UVA's 18 games
• Was given the night off against VMI
• Set a UVA single-season record with 242 faceoff wins, smashing the previous record of 204 by Jack deVilliers (2003)
• Became the only Cavalier in a season and career to win 20+ faceoffs in multiple games after winning 25 against Princeton and 20 at Stony Brook
• Finished No. 1 in the ACC with a 59.8 faceoff winning percentage and 5.70 ground balls per game
• Spent the 2017 season at Monmouth
• MAAC Rookie of the Year
• Second-team All-MAAC
• MAAC All-Rookie Team
• Three-time MAAC Rookie of the Week
• Played in 18 games as a freshman
• Scored three goals and added one assist for four points
• Set Monmouth single-season records for faceoff winning percentage (.519), ground balls (77) and faceoff wins (164)
• Holds Monmouth single game records for faceoffs won (16) and ground balls (8)
• Made his collegiate debut in the 12-10 win at Villanova
• Tied the Monmouth record with eight ground balls at Hofstra
• Went 16-for-26 on faceoffs in the win over Siena
• Scored the fastest goal in Monmouth history when he scored against VMI at the 14:44 mark of the first quarter
• Played three years of lacrosse at Spring-Ford High School
• Helped Spring-Ford compile a 62-11 record and won 495-of-557 faceoffs (88 percent) during his career
• As a sophomore, earned first-team All-Pioneer Athletic Conference and second-team All-Area awards, which he also claimed during his junior season
• As a senior, secured first-team All-PAC 10, first-team All-Area, second-team All-SE PA and All-EPLCA accolades
• Son of Bryan and Anne Schwenk
• Served as Class Vice-President for two years and was a member of the Pep Club and Health Club
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Scott Hooper Named a USILA Scholar All-American
M. Lacrosse | 6/11/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse senior defenseman Scott Hooper has been named a USILA Scholar All-A...
Cavaliers Place Three on the USILA All-America Team
M. Lacrosse | 5/24/2018
Virginia men's lacrosse players Dox Aitken, Scott Hooper and Michael Kraus were named to the 2018...
UVA Falls in the NCAA Tournament at No. 6 Seed Loyola
M. Lacrosse | 5/13/2018
The Virginia Cavaliers (12-6) fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night at...
Jeff White: Hooper Sets Bar High On and Off Field
M. Lacrosse | 5/11/2018
Defenseman Scott Hooper is a four-year starter for Virginia, which meets No. 6 seed Loyola in the...
UVA Opens NCAA Play at No. 6 Seed Loyola on Saturday Night
M. Lacrosse | 5/10/2018
UVA Draws Road Game at Loyola in First Round of NCAA...
M. Lacrosse | 5/6/2018
Virginia has received an at-large bid to the 2018 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship and will...
Matt Moore Named ACC Freshman of the Year
M. Lacrosse | 05/02/2018
Virginia men’s lacrosse midfielder Matt Moore has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference&...
No. 9 UVA Cruises Past In-State Foe VMI, 17-8
M. Lacrosse | 05/01/2018
The No. 9 Virginia Cavaliers (12-5) cruised past the VMI Keydets (2-11) on Tuesday night, 17-8, ...
- Online Stores