Howard and Williams earn first career honors
Cavaliers and Big Red are meeting for the eighth year in a row
Barrett, Coholan, Pannell, Scales and Williams grace this year’s watch list
Pannell, Tucker and Williams grace this year's watch list
• Started all 15 of UVa's games at midfield
• No. 4 on the team with 37 points courtesy of 20 goals and 17 assists
• Picked up 41 ground balls, mostly coming from the faceoff wing
• Scored three goals and dished out two assists in UVa’s 13-12 win at No. 7 Loyola (Feb. 7)
• Tallied one goal and one assist in win over No. 16 Drexel (Feb. 14)
• Scored four goals and had one assist at Rutgers (Feb. 21)
• Assisted four goals in win over No. 8 Cornell (March 7)
• Scored four goals and tallied one assist, all in the second half, at No. 19 Johns Hopkins (March 21)
• Scored two goals and dished out an assist at No. 7 Duke (April 12)
• Scored two goals against Georgetown (April 18)
• Appeared in 14 of UVa's 16 games with one start
• Finished with 15 points (6-9-15), which ties for sixth-most for a true freshman midfielder during Dom Starsia's tenure at UVa
• Nine assists equal Chris LaPierre's freshman total for the most among UVa true freshmen that have played for Starsia
• Made first collegiate start at Richmond (Feb. 8)
• Made collegiate debut against No. 12 Loyola (Feb. 6)
• Picked up two ground balls and caused a turnover against the Greyhounds
• Made first career assist at Mount St. Mary's (Feb. 24)
• Scored first collegiate goal against No. 8 Syracuse (March 1)
• Also dished an assist against the Orange
• Had a career-high two assists and caused two turnovers against VMI (March 24)
• Matched career high with two assists at No. 5 North Carolina (April 5)
• Scored a career-high two goals and dished out two assists for a career-high four points against No. 2 Duke (April 11)
• Scored once vs. Johns Hopkins (May 11) in the NCAA Tournament
• Had a season-high three ground balls vs. Rutgers (Feb. 22)
• Listed as the No. 4 recruit in the country by Inside Lacrosse
• Listed as the No. 2 incoming midfielder in the country by Inside Lacrosse
• Under Armour All-American
• Broke two national career high school records (goals and points)
• Scored 444 career goals, breaking Grant Whiteway's (Billeraca, Mass.) record of 353
• Also broke the national high school career mark in points with 729, breaking Tim Stratton's (Manheim Township, Pa.) mark of 589
• Also tallied 285 career assists
• A varsity player since eighth grade, Williams racked up more than 100 points in five consecutive seasons
• Scored over 90 goals three times in high school
• In the eighth grade played varsity lacrosse and scored 74 goals and 28 assists
• Scored 101 goals and dished out 73 assists for 174 points in 2010
• Scored 99 goals and dished out 56 assists for 155 points in 2011
• Scored 75 goals and dished out 51 assists for 126 points in 2012
• Scored 95 goals and dished out 77 assists for 172 points in 2013
• Won the 2013 Borrelli Award as the outstanding lacrosse player in Western New York
• Three-time All-American
• Helped lead Silver Creek to five consecutive Class C Sectional titles
• After his junior season he had amassed 554 career points, surpassing the New York high school record held by Casey Powell, the former All-American from Syracuse
• Playing for the Six Nations Rebels of the Ontario Lacrosse Association, Williams helped guide the Rebels to their third consecutive Founder Cup title -- the Canadian Lacrosse Association's Junior B national championship.
• In 2012 he registered 30 goals and 37 assists in the regular season, 55 points in the OLA playoffs, and then put up 23 points in the Founders Cup tourney. He is also a standout football and basketball player.
• Son of Dan and Wendy Williams
• Member of the Seneca tribe and has lived his entire life on the Cattaraugus Reservation, which is a part of the Iroquois confederacy that is located just south of Buffalo, N.Y.
• Has four older brothers, Jon, JoJo, Zach and "Cornbread", and one younger brother, Sherman
• Has two older sisters, Samantha and Mary
• Enjoys spending time with his family
Lynch Makes Timely Return to MoundBaseball5/28/16In his first appearance since April 13, freshman Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced Friday in Virginia's ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest.Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Place Two on the USILA All-America Team
M. Lacrosse | 5/28/2016
Virginia men’s lacrosse players Michael Howard and Zed Williams were named to the 2016...
Dom Starsia Departs as Virginia Men’s Lacrosse Coach
M. Lacrosse | 5/23/2016
University of Virginia director of athletics Craig Littlepage announced today that a change in...
No. 2 Brown Ends Virginia's Season
M. Lacrosse | 5/1/2016
The No. 2 Brown Bears (14-1) outlast the Virginia Cavaliers (7-8) through two lightning delays on...
Jeff White: Cavaliers' Margin for Error Gone
M. Lacrosse | 4/29/2016
To become eligible for an NCAA tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-...
UVA to Face No. 2 Brown on Saturday in Georgia
M. Lacrosse | 4/28/2016
Howard Named to the Men’s Lacrosse All-ACC Squad
M. Lacrosse | 4/27/2016
Virginia’s Michael Howard was named to the men’s lacrosse All-Atlantic Coast...
Virginia Gets Road Win at Georgetown, 8-7
M. Lacrosse | 04/23/2016
The Virginia Cavaliers (7-7) earned a road win over the Georgetown Hoyas (2-11) on Saturday...
UVA Hits the Road Saturday Night at Georgetown
M. Lacrosse | 04/21/2016
- Online Stores