• Played in 18 matches, starting 16
• Saw most of his playing time at right back
PRIOR TO VIRGINIA
• Spent his first two seasons at Liberty before joining UVA in time for 2016 spring season
• Played in 31 matches at Liberty with 22 starts
• Scored two goals and collected seven assists; both goals came in freshman season
• Led Liberty with four assists in 2014
• Scored first collegiate goal in 2-2 draw at Marshall (9/9/14)
• Assisted on game-winning goal in overtime in 2-1 win over Robert Morris (9/12/14)
• Netted goal against No. 25 Davidson (9/19/14)
• Named to Big South Presidential Honor Roll his freshman year
• 2013 National Soccer Coaches Association (NSCA) All-American
• Named First-Team All-State, Chicago Post-Tribune Player of the Year and The Times of Northwest Player of the Year in 2013
• Attended Crown Point High School and led team to 2A state championships in 2011 and 2013
• Recorded 52 points in 2013, scoring 19 goals and assisting on 14 others
• Named school's 2013-14 Male Athlete of the Year
• Named The Times of Northwest Player of the Year, all-state honorable mention and team's Most Valuable Attacker in 2011
• Member of Chicago Fire Academy U16 team in 2010-11 and U18 team in 2012-13
• Played with Real Salt Lake Academy in 2011-12
• Named to U15 National Team roster and selected for ODP Region II Interregional and International trips
• Graduated cum laude from Crown Point
• Parents are Dave and Shari Kurtz
• Father played college soccer at Lamar
• Oldest of six children; has three brothers, Brad, Brayden and Brody, and two sisters, Kammi and Georgia
Blount Eager to Assume Larger RoleFootball3/21/18The job will not be handed to rising sophomore Joey Blount. He'll have to earn it. This is head coach Bronco Mendenhall's program, after all. But after spending the 2017 season as free safety Quin Blanding's understudy, Blount is the leading candidate to take over in the secondary for the University of Virginia's all-time leading tackler.'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ryan Hopkins Hired as Assistant Men's Soccer Coach
M. Soccer | 2/14/2018
Ryan Hopkins has been hired as an assistant coach for the Virginia men's soccer program, as...
Virginia Will Be Part of U.S. Soccer Spring Program
M. Soccer | 2/8/2018
Seven-time national champion, Virginia will compete in the first-ever U.S. Soccer Spring Program,...
Caldwell, Opoku Selected in MLS SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/19/2018
Jeff Caldwell was selected in the first round by New York City FC and Edward Opoku was taken in...
Aguilar, Sullivan Selected in Third Round of SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/21/2018
The Houston Dynamo took both Pablo Aguilar and Sheldon Sullivan in the third round of the MLS...
Four Cavaliers Named to ACC All-Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/1/2018
Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell, honored for the third time in his career, was one of four Cavaliers...
Opoku Signs Generation Adidas Contract
M. Soccer | 1/11/2018
Virginia junior Edward Opoku signed a Generation adidas contract offer from Major League Soccer (...
Boss to Depart UVA, Named Oregon State Head Coach
M. Soccer | 12/28/2017
Associate Head Coach Terry Boss has been named the Head Men’s Soccer Coach at Oregon State ...
Aguilar, Caldwell Receive MLS Combine Invites
M. Soccer | 12/22/2017
Pablo Aguilar and Jeff Caldwell were among 60 College players invited to participate at the 2018 ...
- Online Stores