By Jeff White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Virginia wins PK shootout 4-2 for championship
Cavaliers advance to championship match for eighth time in program history
Cavaliers beat reigning national champs, advance to quarterfinals to face Georgetown
Hayward, Rozhansky and McCord score in Cavaliers' victory
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
NCAA Men's Soccer vs. UCONN (by Jim Daves)
• Named to NCAA College Cup All-Tournament Team and tabbed as Most Valuable Defensive Player at the College Cup
• Ranked 20th nationally in save percentage (.828), which ranked second in the ACC
• Recorded 10 shutouts (second in ACC); also tied for ACC lead with 72 saves and ranked second in goals-against average (0.68)
• Allowed just two goals in five NCAA tournament matches, while making 12 saves
• Recorded shutouts in NCAA tournament wins over top-seeded Notre Dame (third round), UMBC (College Cup semifinals) and second-seeded UCLA (College Cup championship) • Stopped seven shots in clean sheet in ACC tournament win against Virginia Tech (11/5)
• Recorded nine saves at Tulsa (9/5), most saves by a UVa goalkeeper since Mike Forensich had 10 vs. VCU in 1998 • Named to Hurricane Classic All-Tournament Team • Saved six shots, including five in second half, in OT win over James Madison (9/30)
Played in nine games; started last eight matches, including all seven tournament matches (team went 5-2-1 in that time)
Named to ACC All-Tournament Team
Stopped pair of shots in NCAA quarterfinal win over UConn (12/6) as well as NCAA College Cup match against Maryland (12/13)
Recorded three saves in NCAA tournament win over Marquette (12/1)
Picked up four saves in clean sheet against St. John's in NCAA second round (11/24)
Stopped two penalty kicks in shootout win over Notre Dame (11/15)
Recorded clean sheets in first two starts against Boston College and Wake Forest (each went OT)
Made first appearance of season against Pitt (10/4)
Did not see game action
A redshirt season
A Virginia State Olympic Development Program (ODP) and District ODP member
Played for the Great Falls Soccer Club, which won the Under-16, Under-17 and Under-18 Virginia State Cups
A four-year starter for Loudoun County High School where he earned various All-Region, All-Dulles District and All-Met honors
Summer Buildup Begins in EarnestMen's Basketball6/28/16The Virginia men's basketball team, which will travel to Spain in August, held its first practice of the summer Tuesday at JPJ.O'Leary Takes Unusual Path to OlympicsWomen's Rowing6/27/16Meghan O'Leary, who played softball and volleyball at UVA, will represent the United States in rowing at the Olympics this summer.Tiffany Plans to Push Pace at UVAMen's Lacrosse6/21/16New men's lacrosse coach Lars Tiffany comes to Virginia from Brown, which went 16-3 and led the nation in scoring this season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Releases 2016 Men’s Soccer Schedule
M. Soccer | 6/17/2016
Virginia boasts an outstanding home schedule, including visits from five NCAA qualifiers from 2015.
Virginia Announces Spring Exhibition Schedule
M. Soccer | 3/2/2016
The spring slate features four friendlies against nearby college programs, including three in...
Virginia Welcomes 10 Student-Athletes for 2016-17
M. Soccer | 2/25/2016
Ranked third nationally by Top Drawer Soccer, the talented group features 10 student-athletes,...
Caldwell and Wharton Named to All-ACC Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/9/2016
Wharton was honored on the All-ACC Academic Team for the third time, while Caldwell was a first-t...
Scott Thomsen Inks MLS Homegrown Contract with New York Red ...
M. Soccer | 12/23/2015
Thomsen played 66 career matches for Virginia and was a key figure in UVA’s run to the 2014...
Etienne Signs MLS Homegrown Contract
M. Soccer | 12/21/2015
Etienne is the second Virginia player to ink a homegrown deal in the last three seasons, joining ...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Will Look to Refocus in 2016
M. Soccer | 12/11/2015
Virginia, which won the NCAA men's soccer title in 2014, lost in the round of 32 this year. A...
Wharton Named to NSCAA All-South Region Team
M. Soccer | 12/09/2015
The team captain played the most minutes of any Virginia field player (1,673 of a possible 1,680).
- Online Stores