By Jeff White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Virginia wins PK shootout 4-2 for championship
Cavaliers advance to championship match for eighth time in program history
Cavaliers beat reigning national champs, advance to quarterfinals to face Georgetown
Hayward, Rozhansky and McCord score in Cavaliers' victory
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
NCAA Men's Soccer vs. UCONN (by Jim Daves)
• Named to NCAA College Cup All-Tournament Team and tabbed as Most Valuable Defensive Player at the College Cup
• Ranked 20th nationally in save percentage (.828), which ranked second in the ACC
• Recorded 10 shutouts (second in ACC); also tied for ACC lead with 72 saves and ranked second in goals-against average (0.68)
• Allowed just two goals in five NCAA tournament matches, while making 12 saves
• Recorded shutouts in NCAA tournament wins over top-seeded Notre Dame (third round), UMBC (College Cup semifinals) and second-seeded UCLA (College Cup championship) • Stopped seven shots in clean sheet in ACC tournament win against Virginia Tech (11/5)
• Recorded nine saves at Tulsa (9/5), most saves by a UVa goalkeeper since Mike Forensich had 10 vs. VCU in 1998 • Named to Hurricane Classic All-Tournament Team • Saved six shots, including five in second half, in OT win over James Madison (9/30)
Played in nine games; started last eight matches, including all seven tournament matches (team went 5-2-1 in that time)
Named to ACC All-Tournament Team
Stopped pair of shots in NCAA quarterfinal win over UConn (12/6) as well as NCAA College Cup match against Maryland (12/13)
Recorded three saves in NCAA tournament win over Marquette (12/1)
Picked up four saves in clean sheet against St. John's in NCAA second round (11/24)
Stopped two penalty kicks in shootout win over Notre Dame (11/15)
Recorded clean sheets in first two starts against Boston College and Wake Forest (each went OT)
Made first appearance of season against Pitt (10/4)
Did not see game action
A redshirt season
A Virginia State Olympic Development Program (ODP) and District ODP member
Played for the Great Falls Soccer Club, which won the Under-16, Under-17 and Under-18 Virginia State Cups
A four-year starter for Loudoun County High School where he earned various All-Region, All-Dulles District and All-Met honors
'Hoos Savor Long-Awaited BreakthroughFootball9/25/16The 'Hoos picked up their first victory of the season -- also their first under head coach Bronco Mendenhall -- Saturday at Scott Stadium.'Hoos Stay Positive in Face of AdversityFootball9/23/16Coming off back-to-back road games, Virginia (0-3) hosts Central Michigan (3-0) at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Scott Stadium.Darden Workshop Offers Coaches Fresh PerspectiveGeneral Release9/22/16More than a dozen coaches and staffers from UVA Athletics recently participated in a professional development workshop at the Darden School of Business.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 16 UVA Falls in ACC Match at No. 13 Louisville
M. Soccer | 9/24/2016
Virginia returns home Tuesday to play Cornell in the first of three consecutive home matches at...
No. 16 UVA Heads to No. 13 Louisville Saturday
M. Soccer | 9/23/2016
Jeff White: Barir Finds Niche in Second Year
M. Soccer | 9/21/2016
Daniel Barir, a sophomore from Denmark, has a team-high three assists for No. 16 Virginia, which ...
Salandy-Defour Named ACC Co-Offensive Player of Week
M. Soccer | 9/20/2016
Senior forward Marcus Salandy-Defour has been tabbed as the ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Week, ...
No. 17 Virginia Rallies to Draw No. 6 Clemson, 3-3
M. Soccer | 9/17/2016
Marcus Salandy-Defour scored a pair of goals for his first career brace and Sergi Nus connected...
No. 17 UVA Entertains No. 6 Clemson Saturday Night
M. Soccer | 9/16/2016
No. 17 Virginia Scores 3-0 Win Over VCU
M. Soccer | 09/14/2016
The Cavaliers received goals from Edward Opoku, Pablo Aguilar and Wesley Wade, while Daniel Barir...
No. 17 Virginia Battles VCU at 7 p.m. Wednesday
M. Soccer | 09/13/2016
- Online Stores