By Jeff White (email@example.com)
Virginia wins PK shootout 4-2 for championship
Cavaliers advance to championship match for eighth time in program history
Cavaliers beat reigning national champs, advance to quarterfinals to face Georgetown
Hayward, Rozhansky and McCord score in Cavaliers' victory
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
NCAA Men's Soccer vs. UCONN (by Jim Daves)
• Named to NCAA College Cup All-Tournament Team and tabbed as Most Valuable Defensive Player at the College Cup
• Ranked 20th nationally in save percentage (.828), which ranked second in the ACC
• Recorded 10 shutouts (second in ACC); also tied for ACC lead with 72 saves and ranked second in goals-against average (0.68)
• Allowed just two goals in five NCAA tournament matches, while making 12 saves
• Recorded shutouts in NCAA tournament wins over top-seeded Notre Dame (third round), UMBC (College Cup semifinals) and second-seeded UCLA (College Cup championship) • Stopped seven shots in clean sheet in ACC tournament win against Virginia Tech (11/5)
• Recorded nine saves at Tulsa (9/5), most saves by a UVa goalkeeper since Mike Forensich had 10 vs. VCU in 1998 • Named to Hurricane Classic All-Tournament Team • Saved six shots, including five in second half, in OT win over James Madison (9/30)
Played in nine games; started last eight matches, including all seven tournament matches (team went 5-2-1 in that time)
Named to ACC All-Tournament Team
Stopped pair of shots in NCAA quarterfinal win over UConn (12/6) as well as NCAA College Cup match against Maryland (12/13)
Recorded three saves in NCAA tournament win over Marquette (12/1)
Picked up four saves in clean sheet against St. John's in NCAA second round (11/24)
Stopped two penalty kicks in shootout win over Notre Dame (11/15)
Recorded clean sheets in first two starts against Boston College and Wake Forest (each went OT)
Made first appearance of season against Pitt (10/4)
Did not see game action
A redshirt season
A Virginia State Olympic Development Program (ODP) and District ODP member
Played for the Great Falls Soccer Club, which won the Under-16, Under-17 and Under-18 Virginia State Cups
A four-year starter for Loudoun County High School where he earned various All-Region, All-Dulles District and All-Met honors
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Men’s Soccer Announces 2017 Schedule
M. Soccer | 5/17/2017
The Cavaliers will open up the 2017 season at home when they host Villanova on Friday, Aug. 25.
Jeff White: Afamefuna Thriving in New Role
M. Soccer | 4/24/2017
An ACC All-Freshman selection as a defender last fall, Virginia's Robin Afamefuna is looking to...
Caldwell, Lowe Named to All-ACC Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/7/2017
Caldwell, a history major, earned his second All-ACC Academic Team distinction in as many seasons...
Claudio Reyna Named to Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
M. Soccer | 1/18/2017
UVA soccer alum played for 13 years with U.S. National Team and competed in four FIFA World Cups.
Opoku Named NSCAA Second-Team All-American
M. Soccer | 12/9/2016
Opoku finished second on the team with six goals in 2016, including five game-winning scores.
Opoku and Nus Earn NSCAA All-South Region Honors
M. Soccer | 12/6/2016
Opoku was a first-team selection at forward, while Nus earned a spot on the third team at defender.
Jeff White: Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017
M. Soccer | 12/02/2016
Virginia's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring ...
UVA's Season Ends in Double OT Loss at Stanford
M. Soccer | 11/27/2016
Seeded No. 12 in the tournament, the Cavaliers finish their season with an 11-4-5 record.
- Online Stores