By Jeff White (email@example.com)
Virginia wins PK shootout 4-2 for championship
Cavaliers advance to championship match for eighth time in program history
Cavaliers beat reigning national champs, advance to quarterfinals to face Georgetown
Hayward, Rozhansky and McCord score in Cavaliers' victory
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
NCAA Men's Soccer vs. UCONN (by Jim Daves)
• Named to NCAA College Cup All-Tournament Team and tabbed as Most Valuable Defensive Player at the College Cup
• Ranked 20th nationally in save percentage (.828), which ranked second in the ACC
• Recorded 10 shutouts (second in ACC); also tied for ACC lead with 72 saves and ranked second in goals-against average (0.68)
• Allowed just two goals in five NCAA tournament matches, while making 12 saves
• Recorded shutouts in NCAA tournament wins over top-seeded Notre Dame (third round), UMBC (College Cup semifinals) and second-seeded UCLA (College Cup championship) • Stopped seven shots in clean sheet in ACC tournament win against Virginia Tech (11/5)
• Recorded nine saves at Tulsa (9/5), most saves by a UVa goalkeeper since Mike Forensich had 10 vs. VCU in 1998 • Named to Hurricane Classic All-Tournament Team • Saved six shots, including five in second half, in OT win over James Madison (9/30)
Played in nine games; started last eight matches, including all seven tournament matches (team went 5-2-1 in that time)
Named to ACC All-Tournament Team
Stopped pair of shots in NCAA quarterfinal win over UConn (12/6) as well as NCAA College Cup match against Maryland (12/13)
Recorded three saves in NCAA tournament win over Marquette (12/1)
Picked up four saves in clean sheet against St. John's in NCAA second round (11/24)
Stopped two penalty kicks in shootout win over Notre Dame (11/15)
Recorded clean sheets in first two starts against Boston College and Wake Forest (each went OT)
Made first appearance of season against Pitt (10/4)
Did not see game action
A redshirt season
A Virginia State Olympic Development Program (ODP) and District ODP member
Played for the Great Falls Soccer Club, which won the Under-16, Under-17 and Under-18 Virginia State Cups
A four-year starter for Loudoun County High School where he earned various All-Region, All-Dulles District and All-Met honors
Casey's Return Buoys CavaliersBaseball2/22/17Derek Casey, who missed the 2016 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, pitched five strong innings in No. 14 Virginia's home opener.Perrantes Searching for AnswersMen's Basketball2/21/17Senior point guard London Perrantes has made only 16 of 58 shots (27.6 percent) from the floor in his past four games, all Virginia losses.'Hoos Savor Latest ITA TitleMen's Tennis2/20/17In men's tennis, Virginia won its sixth ITA National Team Indoors Championship, defending Ohio State 4-1 at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Caldwell, Lowe Named to All-ACC Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/7/2017
Caldwell, a history major, earned his second All-ACC Academic Team distinction in as many seasons...
Claudio Reyna Named to Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
M. Soccer | 1/18/2017
UVA soccer alum played for 13 years with U.S. National Team and competed in four FIFA World Cups.
Opoku Named NSCAA Second-Team All-American
M. Soccer | 12/9/2016
Opoku finished second on the team with six goals in 2016, including five game-winning scores.
Opoku and Nus Earn NSCAA All-South Region Honors
M. Soccer | 12/6/2016
Opoku was a first-team selection at forward, while Nus earned a spot on the third team at defender.
Jeff White: Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017
M. Soccer | 12/2/2016
Virginia's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring ...
UVA's Season Ends in Double OT Loss at Stanford
M. Soccer | 11/27/2016
Seeded No. 12 in the tournament, the Cavaliers finish their season with an 11-4-5 record.
UVA Travels to Stanford Sunday for NCAA 3rd Round
M. Soccer | 11/25/2016
Jeff White: Caldwell and Cavaliers Focus on Present
M. Soccer | 11/25/2016
Second-team All-ACC goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell is team captain for Virginia, which plays Sunday...
- Online Stores