Cavaliers advance to face Stanford next Sunday
Cavaliers clinch first-round home match in ACC tournament on Wednesday vs. NC State
Cavaliers score three second-half goals in runaway victory
Cavaliers earn first clean sheet of 2016 as Opoku, Aguilar and Wade score
Foss and Opoku score as Cavaliers win season opener
Men's Soccer vs. Tulsa (by Kelsey Grant)
• Appeared in 17 matches, starting five, including the NCAA Sweet 16 game at Stanford
• Scored three goals and added a pair of assists
• Scored game-tying goal off free kick in 76th minute in NCAA 2nd Round against Vermont (11/20)
• Scored the game-winning goal against Cornell (9/27)
• Was perfect from the penalty spot, scoring two goals
• One of 30 candidates for Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award for men’s soccer
• Led team with five assists
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Started team's last 17 matches, with 15 coming at left back before starting at right back against Rider and Maryland in NCAA tournament
• Scored both of his 2015 goals off free kicks against Louisville, including incredible game winner from midfield (10/2)
• His game winner against UofL was featured on ESPN's SportsCenter Top Plays
• Recorded assists on all three of UVA's goals against Portland (10/5)
• Named ACC Defensive Player of the Week following the Portland and Louisville performance
• Played in 15 matches at midfield, including one start
• Finished on Virginia's third penalty kick in NCAA championship game against UCLA (12/14)
• Converted on one of UVA's five PKs in NCAA quarterfinal win at Georgetown (12/6)
• Scored in 81st minute to tie match against Wake Forest (10/24)
• Assisted on Darius Madison's game-tying goal against James Madison (9/30)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Appeared in 21 of 24 games, starting 14 matches at left back
• Recorded pair of goals and two assists
• Earned assist after Ryan Zinkhan scored off his cross in NCAA second-round win over St. John's (11/24)
• Sent in free kick that led to Brian James' game-winning goal against Boston College (11/8); first career assist
• Recorded game-tying score in regular-season match against Maryland (10/11)
• Scored first college goal off free kick against Providence (9/24)
• Enrolled for Spring 2013 semester and competed with team during spring season
• Named to Athletic Honor Roll in his first semester
• Full-time member of U.S. U17 National Team in 2010-11
• Joined U.S. during its preparation for 2011 U17 FIFA World Cup
• No. 31 recruit in College Soccer News' rankings
• No. 52 recruit according to Top Drawer Soccer
• Played with DC United Youth Academy and Reserve Team from 2010-12
• Captained DC United's U18 Academy Team and named to U.S. Developmental Academy Best XI Team in 2012
• Earned Golden Boot after scoring four goals in four matches in 2011 Ajax/AEGON Youth Cup in Amsterdam
• Led DC United's U17 Youth Academy squad to 2010 MLS SUM Cup
• Competed and trained for four years with U.S. Olympic Development Program
• Was home schooled by his mother, a 1987 UVa graduate
• Played soccer at Leesburg Christian his freshman year and led team to state championship; led state in scoring (25 goals) and was named MVP of state tournament
• Parents are Michael and Elizabeth Foss
• One of nine siblings; has four brothers: Michael, Christian, Stephen and Nicholas and four sisters: Mary Beth, Katie, Kari and Sarah
• Michael played soccer at George Mason from 2007-10
• Holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do; former Virginia state champion in both individual sparring and individual forms
• Godfather is John Harkes, a former UVA and U.S. Men's National Team standout
'Hoos Looking to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.Cavalier Men's Basketball NotebookMen's Basketball5/16/17The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them to four straight NCAA tournaments.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Men’s Soccer Announces 2017 Schedule
M. Soccer | 5/17/2017
The Cavaliers will open up the 2017 season at home when they host Villanova on Friday, Aug. 25.
Jeff White: Afamefuna Thriving in New Role
M. Soccer | 4/24/2017
An ACC All-Freshman selection as a defender last fall, Virginia's Robin Afamefuna is looking to...
Caldwell, Lowe Named to All-ACC Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/7/2017
Caldwell, a history major, earned his second All-ACC Academic Team distinction in as many seasons...
Claudio Reyna Named to Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
M. Soccer | 1/18/2017
UVA soccer alum played for 13 years with U.S. National Team and competed in four FIFA World Cups.
Opoku Named NSCAA Second-Team All-American
M. Soccer | 12/9/2016
Opoku finished second on the team with six goals in 2016, including five game-winning scores.
Opoku and Nus Earn NSCAA All-South Region Honors
M. Soccer | 12/6/2016
Opoku was a first-team selection at forward, while Nus earned a spot on the third team at defender.
Jeff White: Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017
M. Soccer | 12/02/2016
Virginia's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring ...
UVA's Season Ends in Double OT Loss at Stanford
M. Soccer | 11/27/2016
Seeded No. 12 in the tournament, the Cavaliers finish their season with an 11-4-5 record.
- Online Stores