Thomsen is second Cavalier to sign homegrown deal this week
Cavaliers finish regular season with 9-3-3 record (4-2-2 ACC)
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Bird, Corriveau, Thomsen and Zinkhan named to team
Virginia wins PK shootout 4-2 for championship
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
NCAA Men's Soccer vs. UCONN (by Jim Daves)
Men's Soccer NCAA vs. Lafayette (by Matt Riley)
• Played in 66 career matches, including 56 starts
• Battled injuries throughout senior season and saw time in five matches (three starts)
• Played in UVA opener against Charlotte and missed next 12 matches after undergoing sports hernia surgery in early September
• Returned to field for brief appearance off bench in second half against Virginia Tech (10/23)
• Started at left back for NCAA tournament matches against Rider (11/19) and Maryland (11/22)
• One of 30 candidates for Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award
• Played in all 23 matches, making 22 starts
• Named to ACC All-Academic Men's Soccer Team for second straight year and ACC Academic Honor Roll for third straight season
• Started in Cavaliers' midfield in regular season and ACC tournament before shifting to back line of defense for five NCAA tournament matches
• Tied for third in ACC and 14th nationally with eight assists in 2014
• Converted on one of UVa's five PKs in NCAA quarterfinal win at Georgetown (12/6)
• Assisted on UVa's first two goals in second-round NCAA tournament win vs. UNC Wilmington (11/23)
• Racked up three assists in 3-0 win vs. Radford (10/21), most assists by a Cavalier in over four years and tied for the most by any ACC player in 2014
• Recorded pair of assists in 3-0 win at Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Sam Hayward's goal in win over VCU (9/15)
• Scored game-winning goal on long service into box against Virginia Tech (9/12)
Played in 17 matches, with 10 starts at left back
Played in all four NCAA tournament games, starting last three vs. Marquette, UConn and Maryland
Scored UVa's first goal in NCAA win over Marquette off free kick (12/1); also scored first career goal in UVa's season opener against Louisville off free kick (8/30)
Assisted on Eric Bird's goal in second half of NCAA second round vs. St. John's with perfectly placed corner kick (11/24)
Converted on PK in shootout during UVa's match in ACC semifinals vs. Notre Dame (11/15)
Provided assist on Eric Bird goal with corner kick against Providence (9/20)
Started all 21 games and played most minutes on team (1,991)
Named to ACC All-Academic Soccer Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
Led team in assists with eight (tied for second in ACC)
Five of his assists were on game-winning goals
Notched most assists for a UVa player since Nico Colaluca racked up 10 in 2006
Assisted on both of UVa's goals in NCAA tournament: on Matt Brown's header at New Mexico (11/18) and via corner kick on Will Bates' game winner against Lafayette (11/15)
Assisted on Zach Carroll's first-half goal with long free kick at Wake Forest in ACC tournament (11/6)
Had two assists, including on Carroll's game winner, in OT win over Virginia Tech (10/19)
Notched third assist on Todd Wharton's score against Drexel (9/18)
Also had assist vs. Mount St. Mary's (9/11)
Had game-winning assist on Zach Carroll goal in win over California (8/31)
Named 2012 ESPNHS First-Team All-American
Named First-Team All-State in 2012; third-team honoree in 2010
First-Team All-Shore in 2010 and 2012
Named All-Monmouth County in 2012
Earned Central Jersey Player of the Year honors in 2012
Named 2012 Jersey Player of the Year by Jersey Sports Newspaper
Team captain in 2012
Did not compete in 2011 because of injury
Coached by Dan Keane at CBA
Earned 2012 Scholar Athlete honors at CBA
Earned 1st Honors every semester in high school
Member of Spanish Honors Society
Parents are David and Kathleen Thomsen
Has one sister, Dana, and one brother, Brian
Culture Change Under Way for UVA FootballFootball7/21/16Head coach Bronco Mendenhall, center Jackson Matteo and linebacker Micah Kiser represented Virginia at the ACC Football Kickoff on Thursday.Turner Embraces New Challenge at UVAMen's Lacrosse7/18/16Former UVA men's lacrosse standout Kip Turner is back at his alma mater as an assistant on new head coach Lars Tiffany's staff.Hunter Finds Comfort Zone at UVAMen's Basketball7/15/16The Virginia men's basketball team's freshman class includes De'Andre Hunter, a 6-7 forward from Philadelphia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Adds Five to 2016-17 Recruiting Class
M. Soccer | 7/18/2016
The new additions include Robin Afamefuna, Leon Maric, Jerren "JJ" Nixon, Sergi Nus and Thorri...
Virginia Releases 2016 Men’s Soccer Schedule
M. Soccer | 6/17/2016
Virginia boasts an outstanding home schedule, including visits from five NCAA qualifiers from 2015.
Virginia Announces Spring Exhibition Schedule
M. Soccer | 3/2/2016
The spring slate features four friendlies against nearby college programs, including three in...
Virginia Welcomes 10 Student-Athletes for 2016-17
M. Soccer | 2/25/2016
Ranked third nationally by Top Drawer Soccer, the talented group features 10 student-athletes,...
Caldwell and Wharton Named to All-ACC Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/9/2016
Wharton was honored on the All-ACC Academic Team for the third time, while Caldwell was a first-t...
Scott Thomsen Inks MLS Homegrown Contract with New York Red ...
M. Soccer | 12/23/2015
Thomsen played 66 career matches for Virginia and was a key figure in UVA’s run to the 2014...
Etienne Signs MLS Homegrown Contract
M. Soccer | 12/21/2015
Etienne is the second Virginia player to ink a homegrown deal in the last three seasons, joining ...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Will Look to Refocus in 2016
M. Soccer | 12/11/2015
Virginia, which won the NCAA men's soccer title in 2014, lost in the round of 32 this year. A...
- Online Stores