Thomsen is second Cavalier to sign homegrown deal this week
Cavaliers finish regular season with 9-3-3 record (4-2-2 ACC)
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Bird, Corriveau, Thomsen and Zinkhan named to team
Virginia wins PK shootout 4-2 for championship
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
NCAA Men's Soccer vs. UCONN (by Jim Daves)
Men's Soccer NCAA vs. Lafayette (by Matt Riley)
• Played in 66 career matches, including 56 starts
• Battled injuries throughout senior season and saw time in five matches (three starts)
• Played in UVA opener against Charlotte and missed next 12 matches after undergoing sports hernia surgery in early September
• Returned to field for brief appearance off bench in second half against Virginia Tech (10/23)
• Started at left back for NCAA tournament matches against Rider (11/19) and Maryland (11/22)
• One of 30 candidates for Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award
• Played in all 23 matches, making 22 starts
• Named to ACC All-Academic Men's Soccer Team for second straight year and ACC Academic Honor Roll for third straight season
• Started in Cavaliers' midfield in regular season and ACC tournament before shifting to back line of defense for five NCAA tournament matches
• Tied for third in ACC and 14th nationally with eight assists in 2014
• Converted on one of UVa's five PKs in NCAA quarterfinal win at Georgetown (12/6)
• Assisted on UVa's first two goals in second-round NCAA tournament win vs. UNC Wilmington (11/23)
• Racked up three assists in 3-0 win vs. Radford (10/21), most assists by a Cavalier in over four years and tied for the most by any ACC player in 2014
• Recorded pair of assists in 3-0 win at Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Sam Hayward's goal in win over VCU (9/15)
• Scored game-winning goal on long service into box against Virginia Tech (9/12)
Played in 17 matches, with 10 starts at left back
Played in all four NCAA tournament games, starting last three vs. Marquette, UConn and Maryland
Scored UVa's first goal in NCAA win over Marquette off free kick (12/1); also scored first career goal in UVa's season opener against Louisville off free kick (8/30)
Assisted on Eric Bird's goal in second half of NCAA second round vs. St. John's with perfectly placed corner kick (11/24)
Converted on PK in shootout during UVa's match in ACC semifinals vs. Notre Dame (11/15)
Provided assist on Eric Bird goal with corner kick against Providence (9/20)
Started all 21 games and played most minutes on team (1,991)
Named to ACC All-Academic Soccer Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
Led team in assists with eight (tied for second in ACC)
Five of his assists were on game-winning goals
Notched most assists for a UVa player since Nico Colaluca racked up 10 in 2006
Assisted on both of UVa's goals in NCAA tournament: on Matt Brown's header at New Mexico (11/18) and via corner kick on Will Bates' game winner against Lafayette (11/15)
Assisted on Zach Carroll's first-half goal with long free kick at Wake Forest in ACC tournament (11/6)
Had two assists, including on Carroll's game winner, in OT win over Virginia Tech (10/19)
Notched third assist on Todd Wharton's score against Drexel (9/18)
Also had assist vs. Mount St. Mary's (9/11)
Had game-winning assist on Zach Carroll goal in win over California (8/31)
Named 2012 ESPNHS First-Team All-American
Named First-Team All-State in 2012; third-team honoree in 2010
First-Team All-Shore in 2010 and 2012
Named All-Monmouth County in 2012
Earned Central Jersey Player of the Year honors in 2012
Named 2012 Jersey Player of the Year by Jersey Sports Newspaper
Team captain in 2012
Did not compete in 2011 because of injury
Coached by Dan Keane at CBA
Earned 2012 Scholar Athlete honors at CBA
Earned 1st Honors every semester in high school
Member of Spanish Honors Society
Parents are David and Kathleen Thomsen
Has one sister, Dana, and one brother, Brian
'Hoos Heading Into Hostile TerritoryMen's Basketball2/5/16At noon Saturday, in a game to be shown on the ACC Network, No. 9 Virginia (18-4, 7-3) plays Pitt (17-4, 6-3) at the Petersen Events Center.Unorthodox Move Paying Off For CollinsTrack & Field, Cross Country2/4/16Cam Collins transferred in 2014 from Hampden-Sydney College, where he played basketball, to UVA, where he competes on the track & field team.Signing Day Ends Happily for 'HoosFootball2/3/16Head coach Bronco Mendenhall's first recruiting class at Virginia consists of 24 players, nine of whom attend high schools in the state.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Earns 35th Straight NCAA Tournament Berth
M. Soccer | 11/16/2015
Virginia (9-4-3) plays host to Rider (14-5-1) at 7 p.m. Thursday (Nov. 19) in a first-round match...
Five Cavaliers Earn All-ACC Honors
M. Soccer | 11/10/2015
Midfielders Jake Rozhansky and Todd Wharton were named to the All-ACC second team, while...
No. 13 Virginia Falls in ACC Quarterfinals at No. 9 Notre...
M. Soccer | 11/8/2015
The 48-team NCAA tournament field will be announced next Monday (Nov. 16) at 1 p.m. on NCAA.com.
No. 13 Virginia Travels to No. 9 Notre Dame Sunday for ACC...
M. Soccer | 11/6/2015
No. 13 Virginia Plays No. 5 North Carolina to Scoreless Draw
M. Soccer | 10/30/2015
Virginia completed its regular season with a 9-3-3 record (4-2-2 ACC), while North Carolina...
Jeff White: Precocious Freshman Rounding Into Complete Player
M. Soccer | 10/30/2015
Freshman midfielder Derrick Etienne is becoming a force for 13th-ranked Virginia, which hosts No....
No. 13 Virginia Plays Host to No. 5 UNC Friday in Regular-Se...
M. Soccer | 10/29/2015
No. 16 Virginia Downs Virginia Tech, 1-0
M. Soccer | 10/23/2015
With the result, Virginia moved into fourth place in the overall ACC standings heading into the...
- Online Stores