Wharton named to team for the third time
Virginia senior midfielder earns third-team honor from NSCAA
Salandy-Defour, Rozhansky score second-half goals as UVA advances to face Maryland Sunday
Rozhansky and Wharton named to second team, Caldwell and Opoku to third team
Cavaliers finish regular season with 9-3-3 record (4-2-2 ACC)
Men's Soccer vs. Tulsa (by Kelsey Grant)
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Early Darius Madison goal sends Cavaliers to 1-0 win in NCAA semifinals.
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
• Named Second-Team All-ACC at midfielder
• Four-year starter at midfield, making 81 career starts and playing in 85 matches
• Started all 18 matches at holding midfield
• Wore captain's armband in all 18 matches
• Scored penalty-kick goal at Notre Dame (9/25)
• Assisted on UVA goals against Charlotte, George Mason and Duke
• One of 30 candidates for Lowe's Senior CLASS Award
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• 2014 Third-Team All-ACC honoree
• Played in 22 matches, making 21 starts in Cavaliers' midfield; has started 62 of UVa's last 63 games since 2012
• Scored equalizer with 53 seconds left in second half in NCAA quarterfinals at Georgetown to send Cavaliers to College Cup (12/6)
• Converted on one of UVa's five PKs in NCAA quarterfinal win at Georgetown
• Also converted on UVa's first PK in NCAA championship game shootout against UCLA (12/14)
• Scored on penalty kick in 1-0 ACC tournament win over Virginia Tech (11/5)
• Picked up assist on Eric Bird's goal in 1-0 win at George Mason (10/7)
• Recorded UVa's first goal in 3-0 win at Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Sam Hayward's game-winning goal against UAB (9/7)
• Missed 2014 opener while recovering from offseason knee injury (sprained MCL); snapped streak of 41 straight starts
• Started all 24 matches at holding midfield and 41 straight dating to 2012
• One of three Cavaliers to start all 24 games
• Named to ACC All-Tournament Team
• Played full game in all but two matches and in final 14 contests; led team with 2,226 minutes played
• Tied for second on team with six goals and 15 points
• Was 4-for-5 in penalty kicks; scored on PK in NCAA College Cup against Maryland (12/13)
• Scored on PK for Virginia's third goal in NCAA win over Marquette (12/1)
• Converted PK for UVa's first goal against Notre Dame (11/15)
• Scored on PK in overtime to defeat Wake Forest in ACC quarterfinals (11/12)
• Assisted on golden goal off corner kick in win over UNC Greensboro (10/29)
• Recorded UVa's first goal in draw with Maryland (10/11)
• Scored second career goal and first of 2013 off free kick against Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Matt Brown's late game-tying goal against NC State (9/20)
• Picked up assist on Riggs Lennon's goal vs. Providence (9/24) 2012
• Named to 2012 All-ACC Freshman Team
• Earned spot on ACC All-Academic Soccer Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Played in all 21 games, with starts at midfield in last 18 matches
• Scored UVa's third goal in PK shootout in ACC quarters at Wake Forest (11/6) and in ACC semifinals vs. North Carolina (11/9)
• Scored first career goal, the game winner, in win over Drexel (9/18)
• 2011-12 ESPN Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year
• 2011 NSCAA Youth All-American
• 2011-12 Times Dispatch/Sportsbackers Scholar Athlete of the Year
• 2011 Colonial District Player of the Year
• Holds Deep Run's single-season record with 36 goals in 2012 and career record with 75 goals
• Also holds Deep Run's single-season and career records for assists - 25 assists in 2012 and 55 career helpers
• Two-time First-Team All-State, First-Team All-Central Region and First Team All-Metro (2011-12)
• Two-time team MVP
• Four-time Silver Boot Award winner (team leader in assists) and two-time Golden Boot Award winner (team leader in goals)
• Academic All-State Honoree
• Coached by Frank Ford at Deep Run
• Named Outstanding Wildcat Scholar in Foreign Language and Sciences in 2009 and 2011
• Earned Straight A Honors from 2008-2010; member of Spanish Honor Society, Beta Club and Key Club
• Parents are Greg and Cindy Wharton
• Has one brother, Bryan, who played soccer at Hampden-Sydney (2008-12)
• Father played football at William and Mary (1984-88)
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Men’s Soccer Announces 2017 Schedule
M. Soccer | 5/17/2017
The Cavaliers will open up the 2017 season at home when they host Villanova on Friday, Aug. 25.
Jeff White: Afamefuna Thriving in New Role
M. Soccer | 4/24/2017
An ACC All-Freshman selection as a defender last fall, Virginia's Robin Afamefuna is looking to...
Caldwell, Lowe Named to All-ACC Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/7/2017
Caldwell, a history major, earned his second All-ACC Academic Team distinction in as many seasons...
Claudio Reyna Named to Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
M. Soccer | 1/18/2017
UVA soccer alum played for 13 years with U.S. National Team and competed in four FIFA World Cups.
Opoku Named NSCAA Second-Team All-American
M. Soccer | 12/9/2016
Opoku finished second on the team with six goals in 2016, including five game-winning scores.
Opoku and Nus Earn NSCAA All-South Region Honors
M. Soccer | 12/6/2016
Opoku was a first-team selection at forward, while Nus earned a spot on the third team at defender.
Jeff White: Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017
M. Soccer | 12/02/2016
Virginia's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring ...
UVA's Season Ends in Double OT Loss at Stanford
M. Soccer | 11/27/2016
Seeded No. 12 in the tournament, the Cavaliers finish their season with an 11-4-5 record.
- Online Stores