Wharton named to team for the third time
Virginia senior midfielder earns third-team honor from NSCAA
Salandy-Defour, Rozhansky score second-half goals as UVA advances to face Maryland Sunday
Rozhansky and Wharton named to second team, Caldwell and Opoku to third team
Cavaliers finish regular season with 9-3-3 record (4-2-2 ACC)
Men's Soccer vs. Tulsa (by Kelsey Grant)
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Early Darius Madison goal sends Cavaliers to 1-0 win in NCAA semifinals.
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
• Named Second-Team All-ACC at midfielder
• Four-year starter at midfield, making 81 career starts and playing in 85 matches
• Started all 18 matches at holding midfield
• Wore captain's armband in all 18 matches
• Scored penalty-kick goal at Notre Dame (9/25)
• Assisted on UVA goals against Charlotte, George Mason and Duke
• One of 30 candidates for Lowe's Senior CLASS Award
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• 2014 Third-Team All-ACC honoree
• Played in 22 matches, making 21 starts in Cavaliers' midfield; has started 62 of UVa's last 63 games since 2012
• Scored equalizer with 53 seconds left in second half in NCAA quarterfinals at Georgetown to send Cavaliers to College Cup (12/6)
• Converted on one of UVa's five PKs in NCAA quarterfinal win at Georgetown
• Also converted on UVa's first PK in NCAA championship game shootout against UCLA (12/14)
• Scored on penalty kick in 1-0 ACC tournament win over Virginia Tech (11/5)
• Picked up assist on Eric Bird's goal in 1-0 win at George Mason (10/7)
• Recorded UVa's first goal in 3-0 win at Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Sam Hayward's game-winning goal against UAB (9/7)
• Missed 2014 opener while recovering from offseason knee injury (sprained MCL); snapped streak of 41 straight starts
• Started all 24 matches at holding midfield and 41 straight dating to 2012
• One of three Cavaliers to start all 24 games
• Named to ACC All-Tournament Team
• Played full game in all but two matches and in final 14 contests; led team with 2,226 minutes played
• Tied for second on team with six goals and 15 points
• Was 4-for-5 in penalty kicks; scored on PK in NCAA College Cup against Maryland (12/13)
• Scored on PK for Virginia's third goal in NCAA win over Marquette (12/1)
• Converted PK for UVa's first goal against Notre Dame (11/15)
• Scored on PK in overtime to defeat Wake Forest in ACC quarterfinals (11/12)
• Assisted on golden goal off corner kick in win over UNC Greensboro (10/29)
• Recorded UVa's first goal in draw with Maryland (10/11)
• Scored second career goal and first of 2013 off free kick against Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Matt Brown's late game-tying goal against NC State (9/20)
• Picked up assist on Riggs Lennon's goal vs. Providence (9/24) 2012
• Named to 2012 All-ACC Freshman Team
• Earned spot on ACC All-Academic Soccer Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Played in all 21 games, with starts at midfield in last 18 matches
• Scored UVa's third goal in PK shootout in ACC quarters at Wake Forest (11/6) and in ACC semifinals vs. North Carolina (11/9)
• Scored first career goal, the game winner, in win over Drexel (9/18)
• 2011-12 ESPN Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year
• 2011 NSCAA Youth All-American
• 2011-12 Times Dispatch/Sportsbackers Scholar Athlete of the Year
• 2011 Colonial District Player of the Year
• Holds Deep Run's single-season record with 36 goals in 2012 and career record with 75 goals
• Also holds Deep Run's single-season and career records for assists - 25 assists in 2012 and 55 career helpers
• Two-time First-Team All-State, First-Team All-Central Region and First Team All-Metro (2011-12)
• Two-time team MVP
• Four-time Silver Boot Award winner (team leader in assists) and two-time Golden Boot Award winner (team leader in goals)
• Academic All-State Honoree
• Coached by Frank Ford at Deep Run
• Named Outstanding Wildcat Scholar in Foreign Language and Sciences in 2009 and 2011
• Earned Straight A Honors from 2008-2010; member of Spanish Honor Society, Beta Club and Key Club
• Parents are Greg and Cindy Wharton
• Has one brother, Bryan, who played soccer at Hampden-Sydney (2008-12)
• Father played football at William and Mary (1984-88)
Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall and WilliamsGeneral Release5/17/18Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with head football coach Bronco Mendenhall.Lillie Helps Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceWomen's Golf5/16/18Beth Lillie, one of four freshmen named to the All-ACC team, is second in scoring average for UVA, which plays in the NCAA championships this week.McCarthy's Return Sparks CavaliersBaseball5/15/18After missing 34 games with a wrist injury, junior Jake McCarthy returned to the lineup and helped UVA secure a critical ACC series win over Georgia Tech.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia to Play Maryland at Audi Field
M. Soccer | 5/15/2018
Cavaliers will play former ACC foe, Maryland on September 3, 2018 at Audi Field.
Barnold Takes Position with U.S. Soccer
M. Soccer | 5/4/2018
A.J. Barnold has landed a full-time role at U.S. Soccer, working closely with the United States...
Jeff White: Kessler Earning High Marks On and Off Field
M. Soccer | 4/12/2018
A rising sophomore who arrived at UVA in January 2017 with an associate's degree, Henry Kessler...
Ryan Hopkins Hired as Assistant Men's Soccer Coach
M. Soccer | 2/14/2018
Ryan Hopkins has been hired as an assistant coach for the Virginia men's soccer program, as...
Virginia Will Be Part of U.S. Soccer Spring Program
M. Soccer | 2/8/2018
Seven-time national champion, Virginia will compete in the first-ever U.S. Soccer Spring Program,...
Caldwell, Opoku Selected in MLS SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/19/2018
Jeff Caldwell was selected in the first round by New York City FC and Edward Opoku was taken in...
Aguilar, Sullivan Selected in Third Round of SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 01/21/2018
The Houston Dynamo took both Pablo Aguilar and Sheldon Sullivan in the third round of the MLS...
Four Cavaliers Named to ACC All-Academic Team
M. Soccer | 02/01/2018
Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell, honored for the third time in his career, was one of four Cavaliers...
- Online Stores