Wharton named to team for the third time
Virginia senior midfielder earns third-team honor from NSCAA
Salandy-Defour, Rozhansky score second-half goals as UVA advances to face Maryland Sunday
Rozhansky and Wharton named to second team, Caldwell and Opoku to third team
Cavaliers finish regular season with 9-3-3 record (4-2-2 ACC)
Men's Soccer vs. Tulsa (by Kelsey Grant)
Cavaliers prevail in penalty kicks to claim their seventh national championship
Early Darius Madison goal sends Cavaliers to 1-0 win in NCAA semifinals.
Top images from the run to a seventh NCAA title
• Named Second-Team All-ACC at midfielder
• Four-year starter at midfield, making 81 career starts and playing in 85 matches
• Started all 18 matches at holding midfield
• Wore captain's armband in all 18 matches
• Scored penalty-kick goal at Notre Dame (9/25)
• Assisted on UVA goals against Charlotte, George Mason and Duke
• One of 30 candidates for Lowe's Senior CLASS Award
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• 2014 Third-Team All-ACC honoree
• Played in 22 matches, making 21 starts in Cavaliers' midfield; has started 62 of UVa's last 63 games since 2012
• Scored equalizer with 53 seconds left in second half in NCAA quarterfinals at Georgetown to send Cavaliers to College Cup (12/6)
• Converted on one of UVa's five PKs in NCAA quarterfinal win at Georgetown
• Also converted on UVa's first PK in NCAA championship game shootout against UCLA (12/14)
• Scored on penalty kick in 1-0 ACC tournament win over Virginia Tech (11/5)
• Picked up assist on Eric Bird's goal in 1-0 win at George Mason (10/7)
• Recorded UVa's first goal in 3-0 win at Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Sam Hayward's game-winning goal against UAB (9/7)
• Missed 2014 opener while recovering from offseason knee injury (sprained MCL); snapped streak of 41 straight starts
• Started all 24 matches at holding midfield and 41 straight dating to 2012
• One of three Cavaliers to start all 24 games
• Named to ACC All-Tournament Team
• Played full game in all but two matches and in final 14 contests; led team with 2,226 minutes played
• Tied for second on team with six goals and 15 points
• Was 4-for-5 in penalty kicks; scored on PK in NCAA College Cup against Maryland (12/13)
• Scored on PK for Virginia's third goal in NCAA win over Marquette (12/1)
• Converted PK for UVa's first goal against Notre Dame (11/15)
• Scored on PK in overtime to defeat Wake Forest in ACC quarterfinals (11/12)
• Assisted on golden goal off corner kick in win over UNC Greensboro (10/29)
• Recorded UVa's first goal in draw with Maryland (10/11)
• Scored second career goal and first of 2013 off free kick against Pitt (10/4)
• Assisted on Matt Brown's late game-tying goal against NC State (9/20)
• Picked up assist on Riggs Lennon's goal vs. Providence (9/24) 2012
• Named to 2012 All-ACC Freshman Team
• Earned spot on ACC All-Academic Soccer Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Played in all 21 games, with starts at midfield in last 18 matches
• Scored UVa's third goal in PK shootout in ACC quarters at Wake Forest (11/6) and in ACC semifinals vs. North Carolina (11/9)
• Scored first career goal, the game winner, in win over Drexel (9/18)
• 2011-12 ESPN Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year
• 2011 NSCAA Youth All-American
• 2011-12 Times Dispatch/Sportsbackers Scholar Athlete of the Year
• 2011 Colonial District Player of the Year
• Holds Deep Run's single-season record with 36 goals in 2012 and career record with 75 goals
• Also holds Deep Run's single-season and career records for assists - 25 assists in 2012 and 55 career helpers
• Two-time First-Team All-State, First-Team All-Central Region and First Team All-Metro (2011-12)
• Two-time team MVP
• Four-time Silver Boot Award winner (team leader in assists) and two-time Golden Boot Award winner (team leader in goals)
• Academic All-State Honoree
• Coached by Frank Ford at Deep Run
• Named Outstanding Wildcat Scholar in Foreign Language and Sciences in 2009 and 2011
• Earned Straight A Honors from 2008-2010; member of Spanish Honor Society, Beta Club and Key Club
• Parents are Greg and Cindy Wharton
• Has one brother, Bryan, who played soccer at Hampden-Sydney (2008-12)
• Father played football at William and Mary (1984-88)
Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJMen's Basketball1/15/18No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday night.Singh Back in Familiar SurroundingsMen's Tennis1/12/18Former UVA tennis star Sanam Singh is back at his alma mater as the volunteer assistant coach in the men's program.Hayes Making Immediate ImpactWrestling1/10/18Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes is ranked No. 13 nationally at 125 pounds for Virginia, which competes at the Virginia Duals this weekend in Hampton.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Opoku Signs Generation Adidas Contract
M. Soccer | 1/11/2018
Virginia junior Edward Opoku signed a Generation adidas contract offer from Major League Soccer (...
Boss to Depart UVA, Named Oregon State Head Coach
M. Soccer | 12/28/2017
Associate Head Coach Terry Boss has been named the Head Men’s Soccer Coach at Oregon State ...
Aguilar, Caldwell Receive MLS Combine Invites
M. Soccer | 12/22/2017
Pablo Aguilar and Jeff Caldwell were among 60 College players invited to participate at the 2018 ...
Additional Accolades Roll in for Koffi, Bell
M. Soccer | 12/19/2017
Junior Jean-Christophe Koffi and freshman Joe Bell were honored by TopDrawerSoccer.com.
Virginia Trio Gets VaSID All-State Nod
M. Soccer | 12/13/2017
The Virginia Sports Information Directors (VaSID) listed Sergi Nus, Jeff Caldwell and Jean-Christ...
Cavaliers Land Five on All-South Region Team
M. Soccer | 12/2/2017
A total of five Virginia men’s soccer players were listed on the 2017 United Soccer Coaches...
Jeff White: UVA Soccer Expects Continued Success in 2018
M. Soccer | 11/30/2017
UVA's soccer teams, whose seasons ended with NCAA tournament losses this month, are looking to...
11th-seeded Virginia Upset by Fordham in Second Round
M. Soccer | 11/19/2017
Fordham broke a scoreless tie in the 83rd minute to advance to the Third Round of the NCAA...
- Online Stores