Sept. 24, 2017
|No. 9 Virginia vs Davidson|
|Date/Time||Sept. 25 | 6 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Live Video||ACC Network Extra|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 9 Virginia (5-1-1) will host Davidson (5-1-1) on Monday night in a non-conference tilt at Klöckner Stadium. The match is scheduled for 6 p.m. and will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
Coverage: ACC Network Extra is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Live stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get in-game updates on the men’s soccer official twitter feed (@UVAMenSoccer).
- Monday Mania - spin the prize wheel at the Sports Promotions table to win assorted giveaways (noisemakers, concessions items, merchandise discounts, tchotchkes)
- The team will sign autographs for approximately 10 minutes by the south end of Klöckner Stadium.
- Tonight’s match will be the first between Davidson and Virginia since 2014.
- The Cavaliers own an 8-3 mark in the all-time series that began in 1941.
- Back in 2014, Davidson upended a seventh-ranked Virginia team, 2-1 at Klöckner Stadium. The Wildcats overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit by scoring twice in the second half in a rain-soaked night in Charlottesville. It was one of only two home losses for the Cavaliers that season. Davidson, ranked No. 20 by Soccer America at the time, snapped an eight-game losing streak against Virginia.
- The Cavaliers suffered their first loss of the 2017 season on Friday night (Sept. 22) to No. 7 North Carolina, 2-1.
- In the 95th minute, Tar Heel forward, Jelani Pieters, scored the unassisted golden goal, working around a trio of Cavalier defenders for his fifth tally of the season.
- The loss snapped a three-game unbeaten streak against North Carolina and a 21-game unbeaten streak at Klöckner Stadium.
- The Tar Heels successfully avenged a 2-1 come-from-behind win by Virginia last season in Chapel Hill.
- Freshman Joe Bell gave Virginia a 1-0 advantage eight minutes into the second half against North Carolina with his first collegiate goal.
- Bell is the ninth different Cavalier goal scorer this season, surpassing last year’s total of eight through just seven games.
- Friday night was the first time this season that Virginia has been held under two goals. The Cavaliers are averaging 2.29 goals per game, the fourth most in the ACC.
- Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell’s father, Paul Caldwell, graduated from Davidson and was a goalkeeper on the soccer team from 1969-72. The Wildcats captured Southern Conference Championships in 1970 and 1971
- Jeff Caldwell has started 45-straight games for Virginia and is ranked in the top five in program history in saves, shutouts and minutes played.
- Virginia will travel to Notre Dame on Friday night and return home next Monday (Oct. 2) to host Portland.
- After the match in South Bend, Virginia will finish the regular season with five of its final seven games at home.
- After a 2-1 loss to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg on Friday night, the Fighting Irish will likely slip from its No. 1 ranking.
- The Cavaliers and Fighting Irish have met eight times since 2013, including three times in the ACC Tournament and once in the NCAA Tournament (2014).
Updated Bag Policy
Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
- Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
- Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
- Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
- Food and beverages
- Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
- Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.No. 1 'Hoos Ready to Roll in CharlotteMen's Basketball3/15/18At approximately 9:20 p.m. Friday, in a South Region game, No. 1 seed UVA (31-2) meets No. 16 seed UMBC (24-10) in the NCAA tournament's first round.'Hoos Ecstatic To Be Dancing AgainWomen's Basketball3/13/18In its first NCAA appearance since 2010, Virginia (18-13) will meet California (21-10) in the first round Friday at 5 p.m. in Columbia, S.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ryan Hopkins Hired as Assistant Men's Soccer Coach
M. Soccer | 2/14/2018
Ryan Hopkins has been hired as an assistant coach for the Virginia men's soccer program, as...
Virginia Will Be Part of U.S. Soccer Spring Program
M. Soccer | 2/8/2018
Seven-time national champion, Virginia will compete in the first-ever U.S. Soccer Spring Program,...
Caldwell, Opoku Selected in MLS SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/19/2018
Jeff Caldwell was selected in the first round by New York City FC and Edward Opoku was taken in...
Aguilar, Sullivan Selected in Third Round of SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/21/2018
The Houston Dynamo took both Pablo Aguilar and Sheldon Sullivan in the third round of the MLS...
Four Cavaliers Named to ACC All-Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/1/2018
Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell, honored for the third time in his career, was one of four Cavaliers...
Opoku Signs Generation Adidas Contract
M. Soccer | 1/11/2018
Virginia junior Edward Opoku signed a Generation adidas contract offer from Major League Soccer (...
Boss to Depart UVA, Named Oregon State Head Coach
M. Soccer | 12/28/2017
Associate Head Coach Terry Boss has been named the Head Men’s Soccer Coach at Oregon State ...
Aguilar, Caldwell Receive MLS Combine Invites
M. Soccer | 12/22/2017
Pablo Aguilar and Jeff Caldwell were among 60 College players invited to participate at the 2018 ...
- Online Stores