Sept. 28, 2017
|No. 10 Virginia vs No. 7 Notre Dame|
|Date/Time||Sept. 29 | 7:30 p.m.|
|Location||Notre Dame, Ind. | Alumni Stadium|
|Live Video||ACC Network Extra|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 10 Virginia (6-1-1, 1-1-1 ACC) will be on the road Friday night (Sept. 29) to take on No. 7 Notre Dame (6-2, 2-1 ACC) at 7:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
Coverage: ACC Network Extra is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Live stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get in-game updates on the men’s soccer official twitter feed (@UVAMenSoccer).
- Friday will be the second top-10 matchup for Virginia in the last three games.
- All three nationally-ranked foes Virginia has faced this season have come in at No. 7 (Syracuse, UNC, Notre Dame).
- In midweek action, Notre Dame fell to No. 1 Indiana, 1-0 on the road on Tuesday night (Sept. 26)
- Notre Dame will be the second of four, regular-season road opponents for Virginia in 2017 (Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Duke).
- Virginia is 6-3-2 all-time against Notre Dame and 3-3-2 since the Fighting Irish joined the ACC prior to the 2013 season.
- Notre Dame has won the last two meetings in South Bend and owns a 3-2 advantage over Virginia at Alumni Stadium.
- The two schools have met in three of the last four ACC Tournaments and twice in the NCAA Tournament.
- In Virginia’s 2014 National Championship run, the Cavaliers and Fighting Irish met three times in the same season. The teams tied in the regular season, Notre Dame knocked out Virginia in the ACC Tournament and the Cavaliers won, 1-0 in the NCAA Tournament.
Last Second Win
- A Jean-Christophe Koffi goal with one second remaining in regulation helped Virginia to a 1-0 win over Davidson on Monday night (Sept. 25).
- The Cavaliers tied the game up at one with a penalty kick goal off the foot of Sergi Nus, his fourth of the season and third by virtue of the PK.
- It marked the first Cavalier come-from-behind victory of the season and the third-straight contest decided by one goal.
- A total of 11 of the 18 Cavalier goals this season have come in the second half.
- Virginia has trailed only once this season at halftime, 1-0 against Syracuse on Sept. 8. The two teams went on to play a 2-2- draw.
- Including Monday night’s win, the Cavaliers have scored multiple goals in the second half four times in 2017.
- The Cavaliers have only trailed its opponent for a total of 69:59 through eight games.
- Averaging 2.25 goals per game, Virginia goes into Friday night with fourth-best scoring offense in the ACC behind North Carolina, Wake Forest and Clemson.
- Junior Edward Opoku leads the Cavaliers with 12 points (5g, 2 a), the third most in the ACC. He has scored four of the seven games he’s played in.
- Pablo Aguilar was credited with his team-best, third assist on Koffi’s game-winner on Monday night. He now has assists in back-to-back games for the second time in his career.
- Sergi Nus is a perfect 3-for-3 in penalty kick attempts this season, including the game-winner in overtime against Villanova in the season opener. Nus leads the team with a pair of game-winning goals this year.
- Virginia goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell earned his 28th career win on Monday night against Davidson.
- The senior has played every minute of the last 46 games for Virginia.
- He currently ranks in the top-10 in career saves (5th – 165), career shutouts (T-4th – 19) and career minutes played (4th – 4,555) in Virginia history.
Noting Notre Dame
- Ranked No. 1 in the country prior to the start of last week’s ACC play, Notre Dame was upset by Virginia Tech, 2-1 in Blacksburg. The Hokies’ Marcelo Acuna scored twice, including the game-winner in the 70th minute en route to ACC Offensive Player of the Week honors.
- In the Midweek, the Irish went on the road to take on new No. 1 Indiana on Tuesday (Sept. 26) and suffered a 1-0 setback. An Austin Panchot goal in the 67th minute proved to be the difference. The Irish were out-shot, 13-8 and out-cornered, 8-3 in the contest.
- •The Notre Dame back line has surrendered just six goals this season, the second-fewest in the ACC.
- The Irish opened the season by winning its first six games and in the process secured ACC wins over Boston College (3-1) and NC State (3-0)
- Last year’s ACC Offensive Player of the Year, Jon Gallagher, leads the team and is tied for second in the ACC with six goals.
Blount Eager to Assume Larger RoleFootball3/21/18The job will not be handed to rising sophomore Joey Blount. He'll have to earn it. This is head coach Bronco Mendenhall's program, after all. But after spending the 2017 season as free safety Quin Blanding's understudy, Blount is the leading candidate to take over in the secondary for the University of Virginia's all-time leading tackler.'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ryan Hopkins Hired as Assistant Men's Soccer Coach
M. Soccer | 2/14/2018
Ryan Hopkins has been hired as an assistant coach for the Virginia men's soccer program, as...
Virginia Will Be Part of U.S. Soccer Spring Program
M. Soccer | 2/8/2018
Seven-time national champion, Virginia will compete in the first-ever U.S. Soccer Spring Program,...
Caldwell, Opoku Selected in MLS SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/19/2018
Jeff Caldwell was selected in the first round by New York City FC and Edward Opoku was taken in...
Aguilar, Sullivan Selected in Third Round of SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/21/2018
The Houston Dynamo took both Pablo Aguilar and Sheldon Sullivan in the third round of the MLS...
Four Cavaliers Named to ACC All-Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/1/2018
Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell, honored for the third time in his career, was one of four Cavaliers...
Opoku Signs Generation Adidas Contract
M. Soccer | 1/11/2018
Virginia junior Edward Opoku signed a Generation adidas contract offer from Major League Soccer (...
Boss to Depart UVA, Named Oregon State Head Coach
M. Soccer | 12/28/2017
Associate Head Coach Terry Boss has been named the Head Men’s Soccer Coach at Oregon State ...
Aguilar, Caldwell Receive MLS Combine Invites
M. Soccer | 12/22/2017
Pablo Aguilar and Jeff Caldwell were among 60 College players invited to participate at the 2018 ...
- Online Stores