Oct. 1, 2017
|No. 10 Virginia vs Portland|
|Date/Time||Oct. 2 | 7 p.m.|
|Live Video||ACC Network Extra|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 10 Virginia (6-1-2) returns home on Monday night (Oct. 2) to take on Portland (5-4) at Klöckner Stadium. The contest is the first of three-consecutive games at home for the Cavaliers and will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
Coverage: ACC Network Extra is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Live stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get in-game updates on the men’s soccer official twitter feed (@UVAMenSoccer).
- Monday Mania - spin the prize wheel at the Sports Promotions table to win assorted giveaways (noisemakers, concessions items, merchandise discounts, tchotchkes)
- Post-game autographs - Immediately following the match, the men's soccer team will sign autographs for approximately ten (10) minutes by the south end of Klöckner Stadium.
- Monday will be the second game in four days for Virginia
- Portland will travel 2,805 miles for its final non-conference game of the regular season
- Friday will be Portland’s third trip to Charlottesville since 2009
- Virginia is 5-0 in non-conference action this season
- At Klöckner Stadium this season, opponents are 1-5 and allowing 2.29 goals per game
- Virginia and Portland will meet for the fourth time since 2009.
- The Cavaliers have won all three previous meetings, including a 3-2 triumph in Charlottesville in 2015.
- In the last meeting, then-freshman Simeon Okoro scored the game-winner with 50 seconds remaining in his collegiate debut.
- The Cavaliers and Pilots played twice in 2009. Virginia opened the season with a 3-0 win at the Portland Nike Invitational. The two squads met again in the third round of the NCAA tournament, a 1-0 Cavalier victory en route to the program’s sixth national championship.
Notre Dame Review
- Virginia moved to 1-1-2 in ACC play after a 1-1 draw against Notre Dame on Friday night (Sept. 29).
- The match was the fifth overtime game of the season for the Cavaliers.
- Senior Pablo Aguilar recorded his third tally of the season, giving the Cavaliers a 1-0 advantage in the 32nd minute. The Fighting Irish tied the contest up just six minutes into the second half.
- Since joining the ACC in 2013, Virginia is 3-3-3 against Notre Dame.
- For the second-straight game, Jean-Christophe Koffi found himself involved in a Virginia goal. He setup the lone Cavalier score by finding Nathaniel Crofts Jr. down the near sideline who went on to feed Aguilar. Koffi is now tied for the team lead with three assists and has three points in his last two games.
- Friday night’s marker for Pablo Aguilar was his 12th career goal, the second most among active Cavaliers (13-Opoku).
- Nathaniel Crofts Jr. was credited with the assist on Aguilar’s goal on Friday night, his first collegiate point.
- Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell has played in 47-straight games in net for Virginia and 49 total. His 50th game will tie Keith Lenart (1982-85) for the sixth most in program history.
- Virginia will continue Atlantic Coast Conference play on Friday (Oct. 6) at home against Boston College.
- On Tuesday, Oct. 6, the Cavaliers will conclude a three-game home stand against Lehigh.
Updated Bag Policy
Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
- Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
- Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
- Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
- Food and beverages
- Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
- Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
Williams Excited About Opportunity at UVAGeneral Release10/22/17The next athletics director at UVA will be Carla Williams, who's been a student--athlete, coach and an administrator at the University of Georgia.'Hoos Take Step Back in One-Sided LossFootball10/21/17For Virginia, which lost 41-10 to visiting Boston College on Saturday, the next opportunity to become bowl-eligible comes next weekend at Pitt.Green Adjusting to New SurroundingsWrestling10/20/17A transfer from Boise State, which dropped its wrestling program last spring, Fred Green is a candidate to start at 157 pounds for Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Koffi Scores Electrifying Golden Goal in Double OT win over ...
M. Soccer | 10/20/2017
Junior Jean-Christophe Koffi scored the game-winning goal in the 107th minute, propelling No. 10 ...
No. 10 Virginia Hosts Pitt in Home Finale
M. Soccer | 10/19/2017
No. 10 Virginia looks to improve its position for the ACC Tournament with a match scheduled for 7...
No. 10 Virginia Upended by Radford at Home
M. Soccer | 10/17/2017
A second half Radford goal proved to the difference in a 1-0 victory over No. 10 Virginia. The...
No. 10 Virginia Closes Non-Conference Slate Tuesday vs. Radford
M. Soccer | 10/16/2017
No. 10 Virginia (9-1-3) will host Radford (7-4-2) on Tuesday night (Oct. 17) in a non-conference ...
No. 10 Virginia and NC State Play to 0-0 Draw
M. Soccer | 10/13/2017
No. 10 Virginia gained ground in the ACC Coastal Division standings after a 0-0 draw on the road...
No. 10 Virginia Preps for Road Match at NC State
M. Soccer | 10/12/2017
No. 10 Virginia will play its third road match of the season on Friday (Oct. 13) when they visit ...
Four Second-Half Goals Power No. 10 Virginia in Comeback Win
M. Soccer | 10/10/2017
No. 10 Virginia (9-1-2) came-from-behind twice and scored four second-half goals in a 4-2 win...
No. 11 Virginia Hosts Midweek Tilt Against Lehigh
M. Soccer | 10/09/2017
No. 11 Virginia will conclude its three-game home stand on Tuesday night with a non-conference...
- Online Stores