Oct. 1, 2017
|No. 10 Virginia vs Portland|
|Date/Time||Oct. 2 | 7 p.m.|
|Live Video||ACC Network Extra|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 10 Virginia (6-1-2) returns home on Monday night (Oct. 2) to take on Portland (5-4) at Klöckner Stadium. The contest is the first of three-consecutive games at home for the Cavaliers and will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
Coverage: ACC Network Extra is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Live stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get in-game updates on the men’s soccer official twitter feed (@UVAMenSoccer).
- Monday Mania - spin the prize wheel at the Sports Promotions table to win assorted giveaways (noisemakers, concessions items, merchandise discounts, tchotchkes)
- Post-game autographs - Immediately following the match, the men's soccer team will sign autographs for approximately ten (10) minutes by the south end of Klöckner Stadium.
- Monday will be the second game in four days for Virginia
- Portland will travel 2,805 miles for its final non-conference game of the regular season
- Friday will be Portland’s third trip to Charlottesville since 2009
- Virginia is 5-0 in non-conference action this season
- At Klöckner Stadium this season, opponents are 1-5 and allowing 2.29 goals per game
- Virginia and Portland will meet for the fourth time since 2009.
- The Cavaliers have won all three previous meetings, including a 3-2 triumph in Charlottesville in 2015.
- In the last meeting, then-freshman Simeon Okoro scored the game-winner with 50 seconds remaining in his collegiate debut.
- The Cavaliers and Pilots played twice in 2009. Virginia opened the season with a 3-0 win at the Portland Nike Invitational. The two squads met again in the third round of the NCAA tournament, a 1-0 Cavalier victory en route to the program’s sixth national championship.
Notre Dame Review
- Virginia moved to 1-1-2 in ACC play after a 1-1 draw against Notre Dame on Friday night (Sept. 29).
- The match was the fifth overtime game of the season for the Cavaliers.
- Senior Pablo Aguilar recorded his third tally of the season, giving the Cavaliers a 1-0 advantage in the 32nd minute. The Fighting Irish tied the contest up just six minutes into the second half.
- Since joining the ACC in 2013, Virginia is 3-3-3 against Notre Dame.
- For the second-straight game, Jean-Christophe Koffi found himself involved in a Virginia goal. He setup the lone Cavalier score by finding Nathaniel Crofts Jr. down the near sideline who went on to feed Aguilar. Koffi is now tied for the team lead with three assists and has three points in his last two games.
- Friday night’s marker for Pablo Aguilar was his 12th career goal, the second most among active Cavaliers (13-Opoku).
- Nathaniel Crofts Jr. was credited with the assist on Aguilar’s goal on Friday night, his first collegiate point.
- Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell has played in 47-straight games in net for Virginia and 49 total. His 50th game will tie Keith Lenart (1982-85) for the sixth most in program history.
- Virginia will continue Atlantic Coast Conference play on Friday (Oct. 6) at home against Boston College.
- On Tuesday, Oct. 6, the Cavaliers will conclude a three-game home stand against Lehigh.
Updated Bag Policy
Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
- Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
- Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
- Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
- Food and beverages
- Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
- Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
Blount Eager to Assume Larger RoleFootball3/21/18The job will not be handed to rising sophomore Joey Blount. He'll have to earn it. This is head coach Bronco Mendenhall's program, after all. But after spending the 2017 season as free safety Quin Blanding's understudy, Blount is the leading candidate to take over in the secondary for the University of Virginia's all-time leading tackler.'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ryan Hopkins Hired as Assistant Men's Soccer Coach
M. Soccer | 2/14/2018
Ryan Hopkins has been hired as an assistant coach for the Virginia men's soccer program, as...
Virginia Will Be Part of U.S. Soccer Spring Program
M. Soccer | 2/8/2018
Seven-time national champion, Virginia will compete in the first-ever U.S. Soccer Spring Program,...
Caldwell, Opoku Selected in MLS SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/19/2018
Jeff Caldwell was selected in the first round by New York City FC and Edward Opoku was taken in...
Aguilar, Sullivan Selected in Third Round of SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/21/2018
The Houston Dynamo took both Pablo Aguilar and Sheldon Sullivan in the third round of the MLS...
Four Cavaliers Named to ACC All-Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/1/2018
Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell, honored for the third time in his career, was one of four Cavaliers...
Opoku Signs Generation Adidas Contract
M. Soccer | 1/11/2018
Virginia junior Edward Opoku signed a Generation adidas contract offer from Major League Soccer (...
Boss to Depart UVA, Named Oregon State Head Coach
M. Soccer | 12/28/2017
Associate Head Coach Terry Boss has been named the Head Men’s Soccer Coach at Oregon State ...
Aguilar, Caldwell Receive MLS Combine Invites
M. Soccer | 12/22/2017
Pablo Aguilar and Jeff Caldwell were among 60 College players invited to participate at the 2018 ...
- Online Stores