Nov. 16, 2017
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- A total of 11 former Virginia men's soccer players are playing in various professional leagues across North America and three compete internationally in Europe.
Former Cavalier Brian Ownby helped Louisville City capture its first ever United Soccer League Championship on Monday (Nov. 13). LouCity defeated the Swope Park Rangers, 1-0 in front of a sold out crowd at Louisville Slugger Park. Ownby scored the team's only regulation goal in the Eastern Conference final on Nov. 3.
PRO CAVALIER NOTES (Listed Alphabetically, UVA years in parentheses)
Jordan Allen (2013)
- Has been injured for most of 2017.
- Started Real Salt Lake's first two games this season.
Eric Bird (2011-14)
- Appeared and started 29 games this season for the USL side, Rio Grande Valley FC Toros.
- Tallied four goals and three assists on the year.
Calle Brown (2013-14)
- Started two games for the Dynamo's USL affiliate.
- Earned Team of the Week honors for tallying three saves, including a penalty stop, en route to a clean sheet on 4/8.
Derrick Etienne (2015)
- Played in 18 games for the New York Red Bulls in 2017, starting eight.
- Tallied his first career assist on 7/19 against the San Jose Earthquakes.
- Recorded his second career assist on 7/29 against the Montreal Impact.
Hunter Freeman (2002-04)
- Played in 30 games this season for the NASL side, Miami FC, starting 28.
- Tallied three assists on the year, helping Miami FC win the regular season title.
Brian Ownby (2008-11)
- Played in 33 games this season for the USL team, Louisville City FC, starting 23.
- Recorded seven goals and four assists on the season.
- (Co)-Led the USL in goals during the playoffs, tallying three goals en route to a USL Cup win.
- Scored the team's lone goal in a 1-0 victory over Rochester in the Eastern Conference semiinal.
Diego Restrepo (2009-10)
- Played in 29 games this season for the USL side, San Antonio FC, starting 28.
- A First Team All-USL selection
- Led the USL with 12 shutouts and posted a 76.4 save percentage and a .80 goals against average for the best defense in the league.
Tony Tchani (2008-09)
- Appeared in 26 games this season for Vancouver Whitecaps FC season, starting 25.
- Scored four goals on the season, one short of his career high.
- Tallied 409 successful passes in the attacking half, a team-high.
Scott Thomsen (2012-15)
- Appeared in 15 games for the USL team, Orlando City B, starting 11.
- Tallied one assist on the season.
Chris Tierney (2004-07)
- Appeared in 26 games for New England Revolution this season, starting 20.
- Started with the captain's armband in seven matches.
- Tallied the second most US Open Cup appearances in club history with 13.
- Named to MLSsoccer.com's Team of the Week on 3/25 after tallying a goal and an assist against the Minnesota Wild.
- Tallied his 200th MLS start on 3/25.
- Reached 18,000 career minutes on 5/21.
- Reached 40-career assists on 9/23 in his third two-assist match of career and second of the season.
Todd Wharton (2012-15)
- Appeared in 31 games for the USL team, Rio Grande Valley FC Toros, starting 24.
- Recorded one goal and three assists for the club this season.
Cobi Span (IFK Mariehamn) Shawn Barry (Frankfurt, Germany) and Marcus Salandy-Defour (B93-Denmark)
Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17A freshman from Long Island, New York, Halle Hazzard is the younger sister of Payton Hazzard, who was an All-America sprinter for the Cavaliers.UVA's Campbell Winners Share Special BondFootball12/6/17UVA is the only ACC school with multiple winners of the prestigious Campbell Trophy: Tom Burns in 1993 and Micah Kiser this year.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Trio Gets VaSID All-State Nod
M. Soccer | 12/13/2017
The Virginia Sports Information Directors (VaSID) listed Sergi Nus, Jeff Caldwell and Jean-Christ...
Cavaliers Land Five on All-South Region Team
M. Soccer | 12/2/2017
A total of five Virginia men’s soccer players were listed on the 2017 United Soccer Coaches...
Jeff White: UVA Soccer Expects Continued Success in 2018
M. Soccer | 11/30/2017
UVA's soccer teams, whose seasons ended with NCAA tournament losses this month, are looking to...
11th-seeded Virginia Upset by Fordham in Second Round
M. Soccer | 11/19/2017
Fordham broke a scoreless tie in the 83rd minute to advance to the Third Round of the NCAA...
Virginia Hosts Fordham in NCAA Second Round
M. Soccer | 11/18/2017
No. 8 Virginia will be home on Sunday night to take on Fordham in the Second Round of the 2017...
Cavalier Pro Soccer Update
M. Soccer | 11/16/2017
A total of 11 former Virginia men’s soccer players are playing in various professional...
Virginia Earns No. 11 Seed, First-Round Bye in NCAA Tournament
M. Soccer | 11/13/2017
The Virginia men’s soccer team will have first-round bye and be the No. 11 seed in the...
No. 17 Virginia ties Wake Forest in Championship, Falls in PKs
M. Soccer | 11/12/2017
Sixth-seeded Virginia tied No. 1 Wake Forest, 0-0 but fell, 4-3 in a penalty kick shootout.
- Online Stores