Nov. 16, 2017
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- A total of 11 former Virginia men's soccer players are playing in various professional leagues across North America and three compete internationally in Europe.
Former Cavalier Brian Ownby helped Louisville City capture its first ever United Soccer League Championship on Monday (Nov. 13). LouCity defeated the Swope Park Rangers, 1-0 in front of a sold out crowd at Louisville Slugger Park. Ownby scored the team's only regulation goal in the Eastern Conference final on Nov. 3.
PRO CAVALIER NOTES (Listed Alphabetically, UVA years in parentheses)
Jordan Allen (2013)
- Has been injured for most of 2017.
- Started Real Salt Lake's first two games this season.
Eric Bird (2011-14)
- Appeared and started 29 games this season for the USL side, Rio Grande Valley FC Toros.
- Tallied four goals and three assists on the year.
Calle Brown (2013-14)
- Started two games for the Dynamo's USL affiliate.
- Earned Team of the Week honors for tallying three saves, including a penalty stop, en route to a clean sheet on 4/8.
Derrick Etienne (2015)
- Played in 18 games for the New York Red Bulls in 2017, starting eight.
- Tallied his first career assist on 7/19 against the San Jose Earthquakes.
- Recorded his second career assist on 7/29 against the Montreal Impact.
Hunter Freeman (2002-04)
- Played in 30 games this season for the NASL side, Miami FC, starting 28.
- Tallied three assists on the year, helping Miami FC win the regular season title.
Brian Ownby (2008-11)
- Played in 33 games this season for the USL team, Louisville City FC, starting 23.
- Recorded seven goals and four assists on the season.
- (Co)-Led the USL in goals during the playoffs, tallying three goals en route to a USL Cup win.
- Scored the team's lone goal in a 1-0 victory over Rochester in the Eastern Conference semiinal.
Diego Restrepo (2009-10)
- Played in 29 games this season for the USL side, San Antonio FC, starting 28.
- A First Team All-USL selection
- Led the USL with 12 shutouts and posted a 76.4 save percentage and a .80 goals against average for the best defense in the league.
Tony Tchani (2008-09)
- Appeared in 26 games this season for Vancouver Whitecaps FC season, starting 25.
- Scored four goals on the season, one short of his career high.
- Tallied 409 successful passes in the attacking half, a team-high.
Scott Thomsen (2012-15)
- Appeared in 15 games for the USL team, Orlando City B, starting 11.
- Tallied one assist on the season.
Chris Tierney (2004-07)
- Appeared in 26 games for New England Revolution this season, starting 20.
- Started with the captain's armband in seven matches.
- Tallied the second most US Open Cup appearances in club history with 13.
- Named to MLSsoccer.com's Team of the Week on 3/25 after tallying a goal and an assist against the Minnesota Wild.
- Tallied his 200th MLS start on 3/25.
- Reached 18,000 career minutes on 5/21.
- Reached 40-career assists on 9/23 in his third two-assist match of career and second of the season.
Todd Wharton (2012-15)
- Appeared in 31 games for the USL team, Rio Grande Valley FC Toros, starting 24.
- Recorded one goal and three assists for the club this season.
Cobi Span (IFK Mariehamn) Shawn Barry (Frankfurt, Germany) and Marcus Salandy-Defour (B93-Denmark)
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ryan Hopkins Hired as Assistant Men's Soccer Coach
M. Soccer | 2/14/2018
Ryan Hopkins has been hired as an assistant coach for the Virginia men's soccer program, as...
Virginia Will Be Part of U.S. Soccer Spring Program
M. Soccer | 2/8/2018
Seven-time national champion, Virginia will compete in the first-ever U.S. Soccer Spring Program,...
Caldwell, Opoku Selected in MLS SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/19/2018
Jeff Caldwell was selected in the first round by New York City FC and Edward Opoku was taken in...
Aguilar, Sullivan Selected in Third Round of SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 1/21/2018
The Houston Dynamo took both Pablo Aguilar and Sheldon Sullivan in the third round of the MLS...
Four Cavaliers Named to ACC All-Academic Team
M. Soccer | 2/1/2018
Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell, honored for the third time in his career, was one of four Cavaliers...
Opoku Signs Generation Adidas Contract
M. Soccer | 1/11/2018
Virginia junior Edward Opoku signed a Generation adidas contract offer from Major League Soccer (...
Boss to Depart UVA, Named Oregon State Head Coach
M. Soccer | 12/28/2017
Associate Head Coach Terry Boss has been named the Head Men’s Soccer Coach at Oregon State ...
Aguilar, Caldwell Receive MLS Combine Invites
M. Soccer | 12/22/2017
Pablo Aguilar and Jeff Caldwell were among 60 College players invited to participate at the 2018 ...
- Online Stores