Cavaliers win their third-straight title and fourth in five years
Two coaches and three players earn six Atlantic region honors
Kwiatkowski earns his fourth all-conference honor of his career
Cavaliers have four singles players and two doubles teams earn the accolade
Alexander Ritschard and Carl Söderlund both competed in the main draw of the Canadian Futures event
Men's Tennis vs. George Washington (by Matt Riley)
2016-17 SEASON - ITA National Team Indoor Champions, NCAA Team Champions
• ITA Atlantic Region Arthur Ashe Leadership and Sportsmanship Award winner
• ITA Atlantic Region Most Improved Senior award
• All-ACC Second Team
• NCAA All-Tournament Team at No. 2 Doubles
• Went 25-1 in doubles with partner Thai-Son Kwiatkowski
• Set the UVA program record for doubles winning percentage in a single season at .961 (25-1), breaking the mark set by Treat Huey in 2008 (.891, 41-5)
• Moved up to playing No. 1 singles against BC (Apr. 15)
• 22-7 record in singles
• Preseason ITA singles ranking of No. 53
• ITA Indoors All-Tournament Team (No. 5 Singles and No. 2 Doubles)
• Advanced through qualifying into the main draw of the Donalda $25K Futures tournament in Toronto, making it into the semifinals of the main draw (09/10)
• Also competed in the main draw at the Charlottesville Challenger and in qualifying for the Knoxville Challenger and Sunrise Futures
2015-16 SEASON - NCAA Team Champions
• NCAA All-Tournament Team (No. 4 Singles)
• Finished the fall with an 8-0 singles record in collegiate matches but was sidelined for the spring with a shoulder injury
• Was cleared to play for the NCAA Tournament, going 4-0 in singles during the Cavaliers’ championship run
• Preseason singles ranking of No. 115; started the spring ranked No. 72 and was ranked No. 84 in the final poll
• Won the Orange Singles Draw at the UVA Ranked 1+1 fall tournament (Sept. 20)
• Won the A2 Singles bracket at the WFU Fall Invitational (Nov. 8)
• Advanced through qualifying to earn a spot in the main draw of the Texas Tamale Company Houston Cup Futures Tournament (Oct. 13)
• Advanced through qualifying to earn a spot in the singles main draw of the $25,000 Sherbrooke Futures Tournament (March 10)
2014-15 SEASON - NCAA Team Champions
• Posted an 11-4 singles record and a 2-0 doubles record
• Clinched the 4-2 victory over Wake Forest in the ACC Tournament final
• Did not compete in collegiate events during the fall
• Ranked No. 4 in ITA Preseason Freshman/Newcomer Rankings
• ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Joined the program in January, but did not compete
• Career-high ATP ranking of 648
• Career-high of No. 65 junior ranking
• Two-time Swiss junior champion in both singles and doubles
• Won junior G4 singles title in Luxembourg
• Reached a Futures singles final in Germany in 2013
• Son of Hans and Heidi Ritschard
• Father played professional tennis and had a career-high ATP ranking of 390
• Major: Studio Arts
|2013-14||Did not compete|
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Aswin Lizen Falls in NCAA Singles First Round
M. Tennis | 5/23/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen was eliminated with a 7-6, 6-3 loss to No. 10 Mazen Osama in the first round...
Lizen Begins NCAA Singles Championship Wednesday
M. Tennis | 5/22/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen will face Alabama's Mazen Osama on Wednesday, May 23 at 11:30 a.m. in the...
Ross Named ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of Year
M. Tennis | 5/21/2018
Freshman Gianni Ross was named the 2018 Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year, the 11th player in...
Virginia Falls to Columbia, 4-2
M. Tennis | 5/12/2018
The Cavaliers' season came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Columbia in the second round of the NCAA ...
Virginia Downs VCU 4-0 in NCAA Opener
M. Tennis | 5/11/2018
The Cavaliers advance to the second round where they will face No. 16 Columbia on Saturday, May...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championship Friday in NY
M. Tennis | 5/9/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team begins its title defense on Friday, May 11 at 10 a.m., taking on...
Two Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Teams
M. Tennis | 05/03/2018
Carl Söderlund was named First Team All-ACC while Aswin Lizen was named to the second team.
Two Cavaliers Selected for NCAA Singles Championship
M. Tennis | 05/02/2018
Sophomore Carl Söderlund and junior Aswin Lizen have earned spots in the 64-player field of ...
- Online Stores