Junior will vie for the NCAA Singles title in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Carl Söderlund and Aswin Lizen both earn conference honors
Carl Söderlund and Aswin Lizen will vie for the NCAA Singles title
Aswin Lizen and Gianni Ross earn the Cavaliers' first ACC honor of the year
Junior has advanced to the Round of 16 in the singles championship
- Rose to a career-best No. 10 ranking in the first singles rankings of the spring (Feb. 7) after finishing the fall ranked No. 40. Ended the season ranked No. 49
- Ranked as high as No. 20 in doubles, partnering with Gianni Ross, finishing the year ranked No. 57
- All-ACC Second Team
- ITA Atlantic Regional singles champion (Oct. 24)
- ITA Atlantic Regional doubles runner-up with Matthew Lord (Oct. 23)
- Competed in NCAA Singles Championship, falling in the first round to No. 10 Mazen Osama of Alabama
- Named the 2018 Norton Pritchett Memorial Award (the men's tennis team's Coaches Award of Excellence) winner at the Hoos Choice Awards
- Finished the year with a team-high 32 singles victories (32-7 record), a 20-5 record in dual matches. Had the best ACC record among the Cavaliers, going 9-3 in singles in conference matches
- Went 12-1 in singles in the fall and opened the spring winning his first eight singles matches to start the year 20-1
- Posted a 10-match win streak during the season
- Advanced to the Round of 16 in singles at the Oracle ITA Fall National Championships (Nov. 3)
- Named the ACC Doubles Team of the Week alongside Gianni Ross after picking up a pair of wins over ranked opponents, topping No. 11 Carlos Divar and Michael Kay of Georgia Tech, 6-1, and the No. 22 duo of Simon Baudry and Alex Favrot from Clemson, 6-2
- Opened the fall season by winning the A-singles draw at the Farnsworth Invitational at Princeton (Oct. 8)
- Went 3-1 in doubles with partner Ammar Alhaqbani at the Farnsworth Invitational, winning the A-draw consolation bracket (Oct. 8)
- Has two top-20 singles victories, topping No. 14 Tim Sandkaulen of Ole Miss (Jan. 28) and No. 18 Guy Iradukunda of Florida State (Apr. 8)
2016-17 SEASON - ITA National Team Indoor Champions, NCAA Champions
- Appeared in seven regular-season matches, going 3-0 in singles with four matches left unfinished
- Made his collegiate debut on March 14 against Virginia Wesleyan, picking up a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 5
- Appeared in two ACC matches, picking up victories at No. 6 singles at NC State and Boston College
- Advanced through qualifying to earn a spot in the main draw of the San Jose Futures tournament in Costa Rica (11/08)
- Competed in qualifying at the Tunisia Futures tournament (1/9)
2015-16 SEASON - NCAA Champions
- Joined the team in January, but sat out the season
- Member of the 2015 Great Britain European Championship Team
- Competed in Junior Wimbledon in 2014
- Son of Lizen Jose and Liji Joseph
- Has an older sister, Elaina Lizen
- Was the Valedictorian of his graduating class in high school
- Major: Commerce
Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.Mueller Sets Sights on World TitleWrestling6/11/18Early this month, Jack Mueller, a rising junior at UVA, clinched a spot on the U.S. team that will compete at the U23 freestyle world championships in Romania.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Aswin Lizen Falls in NCAA Singles First Round
M. Tennis | 5/23/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen was eliminated with a 7-6, 6-3 loss to No. 10 Mazen Osama in the first round...
Lizen Begins NCAA Singles Championship Wednesday
M. Tennis | 5/22/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen will face Alabama's Mazen Osama on Wednesday, May 23 at 11:30 a.m. in the...
Ross Named ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of Year
M. Tennis | 5/21/2018
Freshman Gianni Ross was named the 2018 Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year, the 11th player in...
Virginia Falls to Columbia, 4-2
M. Tennis | 5/12/2018
The Cavaliers' season came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Columbia in the second round of the NCAA ...
Virginia Downs VCU 4-0 in NCAA Opener
M. Tennis | 5/11/2018
The Cavaliers advance to the second round where they will face No. 16 Columbia on Saturday, May...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championship Friday in NY
M. Tennis | 5/9/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team begins its title defense on Friday, May 11 at 10 a.m., taking on...
Two Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Teams
M. Tennis | 05/03/2018
Carl Söderlund was named First Team All-ACC while Aswin Lizen was named to the second team.
Two Cavaliers Selected for NCAA Singles Championship
M. Tennis | 05/02/2018
Sophomore Carl Söderlund and junior Aswin Lizen have earned spots in the 64-player field of ...
- Online Stores