Carl Söderlund and Aswin Lizen both earn conference honors
Carl Söderlund and Aswin Lizen will vie for the NCAA Singles title
Carl Söderlund and Matthew Lord earn the Cavaliers' second ACC honor of the year
Thai-Son Kwiatkowski and Carl Söderlund also named ITA Scholar-Athletes
Five Cavaliers earn All-ACC Academic Team honors
- NCAA Singles Championship selection
- All-ACC First Team
- VaSID All-State First Team
- Ranked as high as No. 24 in singles and No. 43 in doubles, finishing the year at No. 24 in singles
- Named the ACC Doubles Team of the Week (4/17) alongside Matthew Lord after winning a pair of matches on the top court against a pair of ranked opponents, including a 6-1 victory over the No. 17 team of Ian Dempster and Skander Mansouri of Wake Forest
- Finished the year with a 13-5 record at No. 1 singles
- Went 8-3 in doubles in conference matches
- Did not play collegiate matches in the fall
2016-17 SEASON - ITA National Team Indoor Champions, NCAA Team Champions
- ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year
- All-ACC Second Team
- All-ACC Academic Team
- VaSID State Rookie of the Year
- ITA Scholar-Athlete
- Started his collegiate career with 13-straight singles victories
- Sidelined after ITA Indoors with an injury, returned to the court April 7 vs. Virginia Tech
- Top player in the preseason ITA National Freshman/Newcomer rankings
- Runner-up at the $25,000 Los Angeles Futures tournament (1/7)
- Advanced to the semifinals of the Los Caballeros USTA $10,000 Men’s Futures Tournament in Fountain Valley, Calif. (10/01) and the semfinals at the Long Beach Futures (1/14)
- Advanced to the second round of the Charlottesville Challenger (11/01)
- Initially named to the Swedish Davis Cup team's six-player roster for its Europe/Asia Group I Relegation Round matches against The Netherlands on Sept. 16-18 in Bastad, Sweden, but did not join the team
- 2016 year-end ATP singles ranking of 454
- Before heading to UVA, reached a career-high ATP singles ranking of 399 (7/11)
- Won his first professional tournament, taking the singles title at the Collector Norwegian Open, a $10,000 Futures event in Oslo, Norway in November of 2015
- Won his second professtional singles crown in May 2016 at the Rising Star Tour Futures Tournament in Karlskrona, Sweden
- Advanced to the semifinals of the 2016 Bastad Challenger after coming back from down a set against World No. 159 Daniel Gimeno-Traver
- Earned a wildcard into the ATP 250 Swedish Open. In his ATP Tour main draw debut, he downed Fred Simonsson to advance to the Round of 16
- Advanced out of qualifying at the Liberec Challenger in the Czech Republic before falling in the first round in a third-set in a tiebreaker (August 2016)
- Represented Sweden in the 2014 European National Championships
- Parents are Stefan and Charlotte Rylander Söderlund
- Has three older sisters, Kim, Mica and Louise Söderlund
- Major: Finance
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Aswin Lizen Falls in NCAA Singles First Round
M. Tennis | 5/23/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen was eliminated with a 7-6, 6-3 loss to No. 10 Mazen Osama in the first round...
Lizen Begins NCAA Singles Championship Wednesday
M. Tennis | 5/22/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen will face Alabama's Mazen Osama on Wednesday, May 23 at 11:30 a.m. in the...
Ross Named ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of Year
M. Tennis | 5/21/2018
Freshman Gianni Ross was named the 2018 Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year, the 11th player in...
Virginia Falls to Columbia, 4-2
M. Tennis | 5/12/2018
The Cavaliers' season came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Columbia in the second round of the NCAA ...
Virginia Downs VCU 4-0 in NCAA Opener
M. Tennis | 5/11/2018
The Cavaliers advance to the second round where they will face No. 16 Columbia on Saturday, May...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championship Friday in NY
M. Tennis | 5/9/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team begins its title defense on Friday, May 11 at 10 a.m., taking on...
Two Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Teams
M. Tennis | 05/03/2018
Carl Söderlund was named First Team All-ACC while Aswin Lizen was named to the second team.
Two Cavaliers Selected for NCAA Singles Championship
M. Tennis | 05/02/2018
Sophomore Carl Söderlund and junior Aswin Lizen have earned spots in the 64-player field of ...
- Online Stores