Carl Söderlund and Matthew Lord earn the Cavaliers' second ACC honor of the year
Thai-Son Kwiatkowski and Carl Söderlund also named ITA Scholar-Athletes
Five Cavaliers earn All-ACC Academic Team honors
Cavaliers win their third-straight title and fourth in five years
Two coaches and three players earn six Atlantic region honors
- Ranked as high as No. 27 in singles and No. 43 in doubles
- Named the ACC Doubles Team of the Week (4/17) alongside Matthew Lord after winning a pair of matches on the top court against a pair of ranked opponents, including a 6-1 victory over the No. 17 team of Ian Dempster and Skander Mansouri of Wake Forest
- Did not play collegiate matches in the fall
2016-17 SEASON - ITA National Team Indoor Champions, NCAA Team Champions
- ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year
- All-ACC Second Team
- All-ACC Academic Team
- VaSID State Rookie of the Year
- ITA Scholar-Athlete
- Started his collegiate career with 13-straight singles victories
- Sidelined after ITA Indoors with an injury, returned to the court April 7 vs. Virginia Tech
- Top player in the preseason ITA National Freshman/Newcomer rankings
- Runner-up at the $25,000 Los Angeles Futures tournament (1/7)
- Advanced to the semifinals of the Los Caballeros USTA $10,000 Men’s Futures Tournament in Fountain Valley, Calif. (10/01) and the semfinals at the Long Beach Futures (1/14)
- Advanced to the second round of the Charlottesville Challenger (11/01)
- Initially named to the Swedish Davis Cup team's six-player roster for its Europe/Asia Group I Relegation Round matches against The Netherlands on Sept. 16-18 in Bastad, Sweden, but did not join the team
- 2016 year-end ATP singles ranking of 454
- Before heading to UVA, reached a career-high ATP singles ranking of 399 (7/11)
- Won his first professional tournament, taking the singles title at the Collector Norwegian Open, a $10,000 Futures event in Oslo, Norway in November of 2015
- Won his second professtional singles crown in May 2016 at the Rising Star Tour Futures Tournament in Karlskrona, Sweden
- Advanced to the semifinals of the 2016 Bastad Challenger after coming back from down a set against World No. 159 Daniel Gimeno-Traver
- Earned a wildcard into the ATP 250 Swedish Open. In his ATP Tour main draw debut, he downed Fred Simonsson to advance to the Round of 16
- Advanced out of qualifying at the Liberec Challenger in the Czech Republic before falling in the first round in a third-set in a tiebreaker (August 2016)
- Represented Sweden in the 2014 European National Championships
- Parents are Stefan and Charlotte Rylander Söderlund
- Has three older sisters, Kim, Mica and Louise Söderlund
- Major: Undeclared
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Finishes Regular Season on Sunday at Virginia Tech
M. Tennis | 4/20/2018
The Cavaliers close out the regular season by playing at Virginia Tech on Sunday at 1 p.m. in the...
Söderlund/Lord Named ACC Doubles Team of the Week
M. Tennis | 4/17/2018
Carl Söderlund and Matthew Lord were named the ACC Men's Tennis Doubles Team of the Week in ...
Virginia Falls 6-1 to No. 1 Wake Forest
M. Tennis | 4/15/2018
Kyrylo Tsygura picked up a win on court five after battling 13-11 in a tiebreaker to determine...
Virginia Downs No. 23 NC State, 5-2
M. Tennis | 4/13/2018
Matthew Lord clinched the match with a victory on court four as the Cavaliers downed No. 23 NC...
Virginia Plays Final Two Home Matches This Weekend
M. Tennis | 4/12/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team takes on No. 23 NC State on Friday at 3 p.m. and No. 1 Wake Forest...
Virginia Falls to No. 12 Florida State, 5-2
M. Tennis | 4/8/2018
Carl Soderlund and Aswin Lizen picked up wins over ranked opponents at No. 1 and No. 2 singles as...
Sunday's Men's Tennis Match Time Moved to 2 p.m.
M. Tennis | 04/08/2018
Sunday's match against Florida State will take place a 2 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center....
Virginia Edged by Miami, 4-3
M. Tennis | 04/06/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team fell 4-3 to Miami on Friday at Snyder. UVA closes out the weekend ...
- Online Stores