First round matches begin on Wednesday, May 24
Cavaliers win their third-straight title and fourth in five years
Kwiatkowski earns his fourth all-conference honor of his career
Thai-Son Kwiatkowski and Collin Altamirano will vie for the NCAA Singles title
Cavaliers win conference title for 12th time in program history; JC Aragone named MVP
Men's Tennis vs. George Washington (by Matt Riley)
• All-ACC Second Team
• NCAA All-Tournament Team at No. 4 Singles and No. 3 Doubles
• NCAA Singles Tournament selection
• Won his last 13 dual singles matches of the season
• Preseason ITA singles ranking of No. 19
• ITA Indoors All-Tournament Team (No. 3 Doubles)
• Advanced through qualifying to earn a spot in the main draw of the $25,000 Los Angeles Futures tournament. Picked up two wins in the main draw, including downing top-seeded Tommy Paul in the first round (1/7), to make it through to the quarterfinals
• Was the runner-up at the $25,000 Long Beach Futures after downing UVA teammate Carl Soderlund in the semifinals. He downed 2016 NCAA singles and doubles champion Mackenzie McDonald in the quarterfinals but fell to 2014 NCAA singles champion Marcos Giron in the final (1/14)
2015-16 SEASON - NCAA Team Champions
• ITA Atlantic Region Player to Watch
• All-ACC Second Team
• NCAA All-Tournament Team (No. 3 Doubles)
• ITA Team Indoors All-Tournament Team (No. 3 Singles)
• VaSID Men's Tennis All-State First Team Singles
• Selected for the NCAA Singles Tournament, falling in the first round to Kentucky's William Bushamuka
• 24-5 record in singles, including a 14-2 mark at No. 2, and 16-7 in doubles
• Was a perfect 9-0 in ACC singles matches until he fell 1-6, 7-6, 6-4 to Wake Forest’s No. 21 Petros Chrysochos, finished 11-1
• 17-7 in doubles
• Ranked No. 27 in singles the fall, finished the season ranked No. 34
• During the summer, competed in four Futures tournaments in Belgium, advancing to the quarterfinals in De Haan (July 10) as well as making it to the round of 16 at the Denia Futures in Spain (July 24)
2014-15 SEASON - NCAA Team Champions
• Joined the program in January
• NCAA All-Tournament Team (No. 3 singles & No. 3 Doubles)
• ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year
• Third-Team All-ACC
• Ended the season ranked No. 50 nationally in singles
• Posted a 20-3 singles record and an 18-4 doubles record
• Played in the main draw of five Futures events over the summer in Italy
• Reached the semifinals of the Charlottesville Futures, Bolzano Futures and the Claremont USTA ProClassic
• 2013 USTA Boys 18s National Champion
• 2014 USTA Boys 18s Runner-Up
• 2013 US Open Juniors Quarterfinalist
• Ranked as high as No. 732 in the ATP Rankings
• Youngest main draw player (17 years old) at 2013 US Open
• Advanced to second round of qualifying at 2014 US Open
• Won Futures Tour doubles title in February, 2014
• Son of Anne and Frank Altamirano
• Has two sisters, Ali Altamirano and Jazmin Peterson-Hall
• Has one brother, Curran Hall
• Major: Arts & Sciences Undeclared
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Aswin Lizen Falls in NCAA Singles First Round
M. Tennis | 5/23/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen was eliminated with a 7-6, 6-3 loss to No. 10 Mazen Osama in the first round...
Lizen Begins NCAA Singles Championship Wednesday
M. Tennis | 5/22/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen will face Alabama's Mazen Osama on Wednesday, May 23 at 11:30 a.m. in the...
Ross Named ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of Year
M. Tennis | 5/21/2018
Freshman Gianni Ross was named the 2018 Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year, the 11th player in...
Virginia Falls to Columbia, 4-2
M. Tennis | 5/12/2018
The Cavaliers' season came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Columbia in the second round of the NCAA ...
Virginia Downs VCU 4-0 in NCAA Opener
M. Tennis | 5/11/2018
The Cavaliers advance to the second round where they will face No. 16 Columbia on Saturday, May...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championship Friday in NY
M. Tennis | 5/9/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team begins its title defense on Friday, May 11 at 10 a.m., taking on...
Two Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Teams
M. Tennis | 05/03/2018
Carl Söderlund was named First Team All-ACC while Aswin Lizen was named to the second team.
Two Cavaliers Selected for NCAA Singles Championship
M. Tennis | 05/02/2018
Sophomore Carl Söderlund and junior Aswin Lizen have earned spots in the 64-player field of ...
- Online Stores