Freshman earns the first postseason accolade of his collegiate career
Aswin Lizen and Gianni Ross earn the Cavaliers' first ACC honor of the year
Ross advances to the second round in the first USTA Pro Circuit tournament of the year
- 2018 ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year
- Joined the team in the Spring of 2018 after signing an NLI in the fall of 2017, enrolling the University for the spring semester
- Named the ACC Doubles Team of the Week alongside Aswin Lizen after picking up a pair of wins over ranked opponents, topping No. 11 Carlos Divar and Michael Kay of Georgia Tech, 6-1, and the No. 22 duo of Simon Baudry and Alex Favrot from Clemson, 6-2 (3/27)
- Ranked as high as No. 20 in doubles (partnering with Aswin Lizen) and spent two weeks ranked No. 120 in singles. Finished the year ranked No. 57 in doubles
- Finished with a 14-9 record in singles in the spring, with winng records at one (2-1), two (7-5) and three (5-3) singles
- Ranked as the No. 2 recruit in the 2017 class and reached a career-high junior world ranking of 13 in March of this year
- Played at the 2017 Junior French Open, Junior Wimbledon and Junior US Open, advancing to the quarterfinals in singles and semifinals in doubles at Roland Garros
- Competed at the US Open Junior Championships in 2014-16 and played doubles in the finals of the 2014 Junior Davis Cup for Team USA in San Luis Potosi, Mexico
- Advanced through qualifying to earn a spot in the singles main draw of five Futures tournaments, including advancing to the semifinals at the Eagle Landing Tennis Classic Futures tournament in Orange Park, Fla., in April.
Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.Mueller Sets Sights on World TitleWrestling6/11/18Early this month, Jack Mueller, a rising junior at UVA, clinched a spot on the U.S. team that will compete at the U23 freestyle world championships in Romania.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Aswin Lizen Falls in NCAA Singles First Round
M. Tennis | 5/23/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen was eliminated with a 7-6, 6-3 loss to No. 10 Mazen Osama in the first round...
Lizen Begins NCAA Singles Championship Wednesday
M. Tennis | 5/22/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen will face Alabama's Mazen Osama on Wednesday, May 23 at 11:30 a.m. in the...
Ross Named ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of Year
M. Tennis | 5/21/2018
Freshman Gianni Ross was named the 2018 Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year, the 11th player in...
Virginia Falls to Columbia, 4-2
M. Tennis | 5/12/2018
The Cavaliers' season came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Columbia in the second round of the NCAA ...
Virginia Downs VCU 4-0 in NCAA Opener
M. Tennis | 5/11/2018
The Cavaliers advance to the second round where they will face No. 16 Columbia on Saturday, May...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championship Friday in NY
M. Tennis | 5/9/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team begins its title defense on Friday, May 11 at 10 a.m., taking on...
Two Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Teams
M. Tennis | 05/03/2018
Carl Söderlund was named First Team All-ACC while Aswin Lizen was named to the second team.
Two Cavaliers Selected for NCAA Singles Championship
M. Tennis | 05/02/2018
Sophomore Carl Söderlund and junior Aswin Lizen have earned spots in the 64-player field of ...
- Online Stores