Kwiatkowski earns his fourth all-conference honor of his career
Cavaliers have four singles players and two doubles teams earn the accolade
Five Cavaliers named to the All-ACC Academic Team
Cavaliers down Oklahoma 4-1 to win second-straight NCAA Championship
Virginia sophomore wins his first career ITF Futures title
Men's Tennis vs. George Washington (by Matt Riley)
2016-17 SEASON - ITA National Team Indoor Champions
• All-ACC Third Team
• Went 19-0 in singles in the regular season. Won 25-consecutive singles matches, a streak that began with four-straight wins in Tulsa at the 2016 NCAA Championship, and ended with a loss in the finals of the ACC Championship.
• Has won 25-consecutive conference singles matches dating back to his freshman season, posting a career mark of 32-1
• Preseason ITA singles ranking of No. 74
• ITA Indoors All-Tournament Team (No. 6 Singles)
• Advanced through qualifying into the singles main draw at the $25,000 Los Angeles Futures tournament, winning his first-round match (1/7)
2015-16 SEASON - NCAA Team Champions
• All-ACC Third Team
• NCAA All-Tournament Team (No. 6 Singles)
• All-ACC Academic Team
• VaSID Men's Tennis All-State Second Team Singles
• Clinched the Cavaliers victory over Oklahoma in the NCAA Championship Final by coming back from down 5-2 in the second set against Oklahoma’s Andrew Biro, including picking up a break when Biro was serving with a 6-5 lead. Wiersholm won the tiebreaker 7-2 to take the match 6-2, 7-6 and gave the Cavaliers the 4-1 victory over the Sooners
• 31-5 in singles, going 6-0 at No. 4, 9-1 at No. 5 and 10-1 at No. 6
• 6-0 in doubles including a 3-0 record in dual matches
• Had a string of 16-consecutive wins in singles matches snapped with a loss to Christian Seraphim in the finals of the ACC Tournament (Apr. 24)
• Finished 11-0 in singles in ACC matches, the third-straight season a Cavalier went 11-0 in ACC matches, joining JC Aragone (2015) and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski and Alex Domijan (2014)
• Began the spring season ranked No. 90 in singles; finished the year ranked No. 116
• Won his first-career ITF Futures Tournament, the Pensacola Futures (Nov. 22) after advancing out of the 128-player qualifying tournament to earn a spot in the main draw. During his championship run, he had a stretch where he won 28-straight games
• Advanced out of the 64-player qualifying tournament to earn a spot in the main draw of the Texas Tamale Company Houston Cup Futures Tournament, but lost his opening match of the main draw (Oct. 13)
• Won the Orange Draw Doubles championship at the UVA Ranked 1+1 fall tournament (Sept. 19)
• Advanced through qualifying to reach the second round of main draw of the $25,000 Sherbrooke Futures Tournament (March 10)
2014-15 SEASON - NCAA Team Champions
• Had a 17-7 singles record and a 6-4 doubles record
• Was 7-1 in ACC dual match singles play
• Reached Quarterfinals at the UVa Ranked+1 Invitational and Dick Vitale Clay Courts
• Doubles Finalist (with Thai-Son Kwiatkowski) at the UVa Ranked+1 Invitational
• ACC Academic Honor Roll
• No. 3 player in the class of 2014 by tennisrecruiting.net
• Ranked as high as No. 40 in ITF world junior rankings
• Played the US Open juniors three times
• 2014 Junior US Open round of 16
• 2012 U-16 champion of Kalamazoo U.S. National Championships
• Played 2014 Junior French Open and Junior Wimbledon
• Son of Karl & Maybelle Wiersholm
• Has a younger sister, Katja
• Major: Arts & Sciences Undeclared
'Hoos Looking to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.Cavalier Men's Basketball NotebookMen's Basketball5/16/17The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them to four straight NCAA tournaments.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
NCAA Men's Tennis Final in a Rain Delay
M. Tennis | 5/23/2017
The Virginia men's tennis team will take on North Carolina playing for a national championship...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Eager to Make More History
M. Tennis | 5/22/2017
A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday would give second-seeded Virginia its third...
Virginia Downs Ohio State to Advance to NCAA Final
M. Tennis | 5/22/2017
Virginia wins 4-2 over the Buckeyes. UVA takes on North Carolina on Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the NCAA...
No. 2 Virginia Faces No. 3 Ohio State in NCAA Semifinals
M. Tennis | 5/21/2017
Monday's NCAA semifinal between Virginia and Ohio State has been moved up to a 10 a.m. start time.
No. 2 Virginia Advances to NCAA Semifinals
M. Tennis | 5/20/2017
Virginia downed Texas, 4-1, to advance to the semifinals for the eighth consecutive year. UVA...
No. 2 Virginia Faces Texas in NCAA Quarterfinals
M. Tennis | 5/19/2017
The Virginia men's tennis team takes on Texas on Saturday, May 20 at 12 p.m. in Athens, Ga.
UVA Downs Florida 4-0 to Advance to Quarterfinals
M. Tennis | 05/18/2017
The Cavaliers blanked Florida to advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals where they will face Texas on ...
No. 2 Virginia Looks to Defend Title in Athens
M. Tennis | 05/17/2017
The Virginia men's tennis team takes on No. 15 Florida on Thursday, May 18 at 9 a.m. in the NCAA ...
- Online Stores