Carl Söderlund and Matthew Lord earn the Cavaliers' second ACC honor of the year
Aswin Lizen also advanced to the semifinals in singles
Matthew Lord and Ammar Alhaqbani to make their collegiate debuts at the event
- Finished the season with a 24-13 singles record and a 16-10 mark in dual matches\
- Was 8-2 in doubles in ACC matches
- Went 4-0 in prequalifying at the Saint Francis ITA All-American Championship to earn a spot in the qualifying tournament. Won his first round match in qualifying before falling in the second round (Oct. 3)
- Was the runner-up at the ITA Atlantic Regional doubles championship, partnering with Aswin Lizen (Oct. 23)
- Went 8-3 in singles in the fall
- Had a seven-match win streak in the spring from March 4-30, culminating with a 6-4, 6-2 victory at No. 4 singles against Duke's Spencer Furman
- Named the ACC Doubles Team of the Week (4/17) alongside Carl Söderlund after winning a pair of matches on the top court against a pair of ranked opponents, including a 6-1 victory over the No. 17 team of Ian Dempster and Skander Mansouri of Wake Forest
- Finished his high school career at Kingswood Oxford with a 109-3 record
- Was ranked as high as the No. 6 recruit in the country by tennisrecruiting.net
- Father is Alman Lord, stepmother is Jackie Lord
- Both of his older sisters, Dayna and Melissa Lord, played collegiate tennis. His oldest sister, Dayna, played No. 1 singles at Brown, and ended her career with the best overall record in the program's history. Melissa won an NCAA title at Stanford her freshman year and were the runners-up her 2016 sophomore season.
- Undeclared major
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Aswin Lizen Falls in NCAA Singles First Round
M. Tennis | 5/23/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen was eliminated with a 7-6, 6-3 loss to No. 10 Mazen Osama in the first round...
Lizen Begins NCAA Singles Championship Wednesday
M. Tennis | 5/22/2018
Junior Aswin Lizen will face Alabama's Mazen Osama on Wednesday, May 23 at 11:30 a.m. in the...
Ross Named ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of Year
M. Tennis | 5/21/2018
Freshman Gianni Ross was named the 2018 Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year, the 11th player in...
Virginia Falls to Columbia, 4-2
M. Tennis | 5/12/2018
The Cavaliers' season came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Columbia in the second round of the NCAA ...
Virginia Downs VCU 4-0 in NCAA Opener
M. Tennis | 5/11/2018
The Cavaliers advance to the second round where they will face No. 16 Columbia on Saturday, May...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championship Friday in NY
M. Tennis | 5/9/2018
The Virginia men's tennis team begins its title defense on Friday, May 11 at 10 a.m., taking on...
Two Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Teams
M. Tennis | 05/03/2018
Carl Söderlund was named First Team All-ACC while Aswin Lizen was named to the second team.
Two Cavaliers Selected for NCAA Singles Championship
M. Tennis | 05/02/2018
Sophomore Carl Söderlund and junior Aswin Lizen have earned spots in the 64-player field of ...
- Online Stores