March 2, 2014
CHARLOTTESVILLE - The No. 10 Virginia men's tennis team posted its second top-10 win of the weekend, downing No. 6 Notre Dame 6-1 Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers (9-1, 2-0 ACC) recorded their 109th consecutive victory against ACC competition, while the Fighting Irish (11-4, 1-1 ACC) suffered its first conference loss in its debut season in the ACC. Virginia concluded the day with a 10-0 victory over Liberty (4-6).
"We have a lot of respect for Notre Dame, they have a tremendous team," said head coach Brian Boland. "We had to adapt and adjust to some things today. We sat out Mitchell (Frank). We gave J.C. (Aragone) a chance. He has had a great few weeks of practice and stepped up today when we gave him an opportunity. We need to continue to get better because we have some more tough matches upcoming."
The Cavaliers opened the match strong, winning the doubles point. Virginia used three brand new doubles pairings for the match and found success, becoming just the second team to win the doubles point against the Irish this season. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) teamed with Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) for an 8-5 win at No. 3 over Ryan Bandy and Eric Schnurrenberger. The point was clinched at No. 1 where Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) upset 11th-ranked Greg Andrews and Alex Lawson 8-5.
"We had to use three new teams in doubles," said Boland. "I thought those teams played well together. Alex and Harrison played together some last year, so that helped. The other two teams have done well in practice. I thought Luca, playing with Mac at No. 1, was really good today. He is just a great leader for our team and to step up and win that match against a highly-ranked team was impressive."
Virginia used the momentum from doubles into the start of singles, winning five of the six first sets before rain reached the courts, forcing play to be moved indoors.
Shortly after moving inside, Domijan doubled the lead as he completed a 6-2, 6-1 win over Quentin Monaghan at No. 2 singles. Ryan Shane (Falls Church, Va.) moved up to the No. 1 spot in the lineup and delivered a 6-3, 6-3 win over 28th-ranked Andrews to extend the lead to 3-0. Notre Dame got on the scoreboard at No. 4 singles where Bandy topped Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) 6-2, 6-3.
The Cavaliers clinched victory as J.C. Aragone (Yorba Linda, Calif.), making his dual match debut, topped Wyatt McCoy 7-6(4), 6-4 at No. 6 singles to make the score 4-1. The final score became 6-1 as Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) and Styslinger posted three-set wins at No. 5 and No. 3 respectively.
Virginia concluded the day with a 10-0 victory over Liberty in the second match of the doubleheader. Domijan, Styslinger, and Aragone all posted their second singles win of the day. Justin Shane, Jordan Daigle (Lafayette, La.), Richmond, Corinteli, Jonathan Cornish (London, England) and Alex Scheinman (Los Angeles, Calif.) also added singles wins against the Flames.
The Cavaliers return to action on March 6 as they visit No. 4 UCLA in a rematch of the 2013 NCAA Tournament final.
#10 VIRGINIA 6, #6 NOTRE DAME 1
1. Corinteli/Styslinger (UVa) def. #11 Andrews/Lawson (ND) 8-5
2. J.Shane/Kwiatkowski (UVa) vs. Hagar/Pecor (ND) 6-5 DNF
3. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Bandy/Schnurrenberger (ND) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. Ryan Shane (UVa) def. #28 Greg Andrews (ND) 6-3, 6-3
2. #92 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Quentin Monaghan (ND) 6-2, 6-1
3. #73 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. #124 Josh Hagar (ND) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
4. Ryan Bandy (ND) def. Justin Shane (UVa) 6-2, 6-3
5. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Eddy Covaschi (ND) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
6. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Wyatt McCoy (ND) 7-6(4), 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,1,4,6,5,3
#10 VIRGINIA 10, LIBERTY 0
1. Domijan/J.Shane (UVa) def. #59 Thomas/Azuelo (LU) 8-1
2. Corinteli/Richmond (UVa) def. Samaai/Segur (LU) 8-7(5)
3. Cornish/Daigle (UVa) def. Llamas/Vaughan (LU) 8-3
4. R.Shane/Scheinman (UVa) def. Boda/Secanell (LU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 4,1,3,2
1. #92 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Shea Thomas (LU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #73 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Egon Samaai (LU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Jorge Azuero (LU) 6-0, 6-1
4. #77 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Dillon Segur (LU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Luca Corinteli (UVa) def. Guillem Secanell (LU) 6-0, 6-1
7. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Stan Vaughan (LU) 6-1, 7-5
8. Jonathan Cornish (UVa) def. Josiah Boda (LU) 6-0, 6-2
9. Alex Scheinman (UVa) def. Sergio Mourelo (LU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 8,6,3,5,1,4,9,2,7