March 28, 2014
The fourth-ranked Virginia men's tennis team returned home Friday to post a 7-0 victory over No. 39 Miami at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar's Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (13-2, 5-0 ACC) posted their fourth straight win while snapping the Hurricanes' (13-5, 3-2 ACC) seven-match win streak.
"We got a lot of guys a chance to play today, and each one of them went out and gave 100 percent," said associate head coach Andres Pedroso. "The reason this program has had success is that we show up for every match, no matter the conditions or opponent, and compete with pride. They did that today and we are proud of them for that."
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point, again using a new doubles lineup. At No. 2, Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) cruised to an 8-0 win over William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto. The Shane brothers (Falls Church, Va.), Justin and Ryan, teamed at No. 3 for an 8-1 win over Wilfredo Gonzalez and Daniel Shebshayevich.
In singles, Virginia controlled all six matches from start to finish, not dropping a set. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) extended the lead to 2-0 with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Gabriel Flores at the No. 1 position. Jordan Daigle (Lafayette, La.) added a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5 over Tsukamoto before Domijan clinched the victory with his 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 2 over Diego Soto. Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) defeated Albanese 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4, Richmond topped Bernard Tefel 6-0, 6-3 at No. 6 and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) downed Gonzalez 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3 to complete the sweep.
Virginia extended its win streak against ACC competition (regular season and postseason) to 112 matches with the victory.
The Cavaliers continue their homestand Saturday as they host No. 24 Florida State. The match is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. The match could be moved indoors to the Boar's head Sports Club due to weather. Check VirginiaSports.com and @UVaMensTennis on Twitter for the latest information on the location.
#4 VIRGINIA 7, #39 MIAMI 0
1. Corinteli/Aragone (UVa) vs. Flores/Soto (UM) 3-3 DNF
2. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Albanese/Tsuskamoto (UM) 8-0
3. R.Shane/J.Shane (UVa) def. Gonzalez/Shebshayevich (UM) 8-1
Order of Finish: 2,3
1. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-2, 6-2
2. #24 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-1, 6-3
3. #112 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-2, 6-4
4. #59 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-3, 6-1
5. #76 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,5,2,4,6,3